Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Fuel Injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndyB
Ok first search is still not my friend. Has anyone installed 944 fuel injectors in a modified 914-4? Engine will be a 2.2l with L-Jet. If installed what came out or went into the build? Has anyone even heard of such a thing?
Mike Bellis
If you are using a factory ECU, you might be able to fine tune the fuel a little with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. This allows you to change the amount of fuel with pressure without modifing the injector pulse. This is not ideal but not uncommon in custom EFI High HP systems. Almost any injector can install on your engine if you can control the injector pulse. Consider spending for Custom EFI. It will work better, have more HP abd get better fuel economy. It is an investment but will pay off by letting you drive the car more. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
The 944 injectors usually attach to a fuel rail, I'm curious how did you plan to mod the connection?
AndyB
This is still in the planning phase. I had been informed that it is possible, however I am hoping that its been done before. Carbs and Microsquirt or custom EFI are not in the picture. They arent even possibilities. I have an awwesome mechanic who has help that is second to none. I am just looking to see if it has been done and was it successful.
jcd914
What come to my mind is, why?

If you are concerned that the 1.8 injectors from your L-jet system won't provide enough fuel then put in some 912 E injectors, they are plug -n- play.

Jim

ClayPerrine
The 944 injectors require a fuel rail with o-ring connectors. They are also the same as the 911 Carrera injector and are very, very expensive, as they are not available from the factory.

912E injectors are expensive too. I would suggest you look into a set of 4 injectors from a Nissan 280ZX. They are a bolt in replacement for the 914 L-Jet injectors, they flow more fuel than the stock 912E injector, and they are far cheaper.

AndyB
Clay thanks for the reply. Is there a specific year or years I need to be searching for?
ClayPerrine
Early 80's, starting around 1983. Anything that uses the L28 engine. If you need more fuel, use the 280ZX turbo injectors. Don't get the 300ZX injectors, they went to the fuel rail type on the VG30.
Mike Bellis
Just because your engine is bigger, you can't expect that bigger injectors will magicly make the car run better. Your FI is a "system" with all parts tuned to work with eachother. If you change one piece, it will effect how the others work in harmony.

Fuel injectors are not completely linear. For an engine that is 10% bigger, it is not as simple as getting a 10% bigger injector. Voltage drop, dead time, pulse width, flow rate vs pressure drop, fuel volume; All these and more will affect the way the injector works.

Your larger injector may work better at a certain rpm range. But outside that window may run like crap.

A lot of work for little reward. I would suggest you first play with the fuel pressure of your stock injectors. Little more pressure will get you a little more fuel. Try it before you invest too much into this.

Without changing to programmable EFI, you may never be happy with the results.
AndyB
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 17 2012, 11:19 AM) *

Just because your engine is bigger, you can't expect that bigger injectors will magicly make the car run better. Your FI is a "system" with all parts tuned to work with eachother. If you change one piece, it will effect how the others work in harmony.

Fuel injectors are not completely linear. For an engine that is 10% bigger, it is not as simple as getting a 10% bigger injector. Voltage drop, dead time, pulse width, flow rate vs pressure drop, fuel volume; All these and more will affect the way the injector works.

Your larger injector may work better at a certain rpm range. But outside that window may run like crap.

A lot of work for little reward. I would suggest you first play with the fuel pressure of your stock injectors. Little more pressure will get you a little more fuel. Try it before you invest too much into this.

Without changing to programmable EFI, you may never be happy with the results.

Yep thats why I have a mechanic who is well versed in the Type IV as well as the 914 itsself. There is no magic wand. The fact that I am going from 70 HP to 140 HP. If you reread the initial thread its a 2.2 not a 1,8 its will have 140hp so not quite sure what your trying to say. I merely asked the question about 944 injectors.I really dont look at springing for 280zx injectors as a lot of investment. I asked about the injectors ONLY. There is more done to this engine than just fuel injectors. Clay thanks again I ordered those injectors since the were bolt on and sent them to my mechanic.
AndyB
QUOTE(Scotti @ Mar 17 2012, 09:57 PM) *

WTF.gif Hey Andy will it be ready by Hershey?

Yes it will. Will your 6 be ready for Hershey?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.