Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Gas odor outside the car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
Hey guys -

So after the first fill up of our newly acquired '74 1.8, I am getting a gas odor - mainly from outside the car. Did some investigating & research on here to discover the car does not have the charcoal canister.

Being a '74 I know the canister can either be in the front or back - I think mine had it in back, because the line coming off of the vapor expansion tank goes under the car and comes out the rear of the engine compartment (passenger side).

Also - I noticed 2 of the 8 bolts around the fuel filler neck are missing. Picked up 8 new M5 bolts and ordered a new filler neck gasket. Even though I'm missing 2 bolts, it seems on there pretty tight. Plan to install the new bolts when the gasket arrives.

OK - so as I search for a charcoal canister (anyone have one for sale or know where I can get one) - what should I do with the open line in the engine bay that starts from the expansion tank?

Anything else I should look for to help eliminate the gas smell? Does anyone have pics of all the hoses that run in/out of the gas tank?

By the way - gas tank is brand new and I don't appear to be leaking fuel. And even with the car sitting for days without being used, I still smell gas just standing next to it (and the car is outside too - under a car port). Gas cap is the big metal type. Gasket in it looks like it could use replacing. Will a gas cap from a local auto store fit?

thanks thanks thanks!!

Chris
GeorgeRud
You can get a new gasket for the gas cap from a vendor on this site (Mikey914). If you are running carbs, the smell will always be there as the gas evaporates to the atmosphere. If it still has the original fuel injection, look for leaks in the system. It shouldn't smell as the system is closed and vents though the charcoal filter.
RickS
You may have leaking fuel lines connected to the bottom of the tank. Remove the inspection plate under the car and sniff and check for dampness. You may be able to get a screw driver up to the clamps and tighten them.
auto_cran
Thanks for the tips.

Rick - I'll get under there and remove the plate to see what's going on with the lines.

George - car still has the original L-tronic fuel injection system. I do not have the charcoal filter.

Chris
TheCabinetmaker
Look thru the hole where the lines go to the tank. If the supply hose is the old braided type, replace it with a modern hose. They wick the gas thru the lines as the rubber inside deteriorates from todays fuels. I chased a fuel smell in a car for months before I finally discovered this hose as the source. Its tough to get a tool on the clamp, but it can be done with tank in place. Its gravity feed to the pump, so it need not be high pressure line.
JawjaPorsche
Does your teener still have those plastic fuel lines from tank to back? I smelled gas in my garage and that was the cause.

Terry
ww914
Do all of the above first. If you still have the odor, look inside the tunnel for wet locations. After 38 years those plastic line connections might be the culprit. Take a look at my restoration thread. There are photos of my fuel line replacement. Don't be surprised if you find the tunnel rusty. Welcome to the world of 914s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.