Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Are the vin numbers only located on the windshielg pillar and door jamb or are there other locations? Looking at a car I think was pieced together and want to see if they match.
brant
check the passenger side front inner wheel well (inside the front trunk)...

Also in the rear trunk is a chassis number... its not a vin, but can help you determine early and late... Often this number is gone or rusty so that might not be of help.

I think I was told that euro cars (914/6 grey cars) did not have the windshield vin as that was a us thing.

brant
Jeroen
Brant is right... no windshieldframe tag on euro cars
The vin is located on the pass side inner fender (front trunk, just in front of the shock mount)

cheers,

Jeroen
davep
The "permanent" VIN is stamped into the top of the right wheel well as has been stated. There is a data plate rivited onto the right headlight bucket up to 1975, and later on the fuel tank bulkhead. Also, as stated the VIN is stamped onto a tag on the windshield post on NA cars; 914/6 were recessed numerals, the 914/4 were raised numerals. On NA cars there was a DOT decal on the drivers door latch post. On the underside of the dash there is a partial VIN written in grease pencil.

On the Karmann badge on the drivers door hinge post a chassis number is found that should match the number stamped into the rear trunk floor; this applies only to the 914/4; from 1975 the chassis number has been moved from the Karmann plate to a plate rivited into the front trunk. On the 914/6 the chassis number is only found on the trunk floor. The 914/4 chassis number is a date code/ sequence number. The 914/6 chassis number is almost all sequence number. The dash on a 914/6 also has a build number similar to the chassis number, but at least in 1970 were different than the chassis number.

I keep a data file on as many cars as I can get data on. If you wish to submit data, that is most welcome. If you want to check to see if the numbers on a car are reasonable (as in this case), just ask and I will try to help.

DaveP
With my own Cardex
Rusty
Dave,

Are the original (or perfect matching) rivets available for the Karman tag in the door jam? What about the rivets for the tag in the front trunk?

Those areas can look kind of funky after a repaint. Pulling the tags off and properly sanding/painting the mounting surface would make it much nicer.

-Rusty smoke.gif
davep
I did find rivets for the Karmann badge many years ago. I believe they were for a 356 badge of similar nature. Possibly from Stoddards. I have not looked at the other rivets in detail, but they should be available somewhere.

DaveP
GTeener
Is there anywhere online to research the VIN / car history?

Most sites I found won't go back before 1981.

Wudup widat
davep
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps the government mandated the keeping of records in the 1980's. Even the factory Cardex is not always useful. As far as 914's go, I probably have more data than anyone else. Hardly anyone else really cares unless it is for the 914/6. Then there is Larry Lee's list. Anything in particular you want to know?
GTeener
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 22 2004, 11:58 AM)
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps the government mandated the keeping of records in the 1980's. Even the factory Cardex is not always useful. As far as 914's go, I probably have more data than anyone else. Hardly anyone else really cares unless it is for the 914/6. Then there is Larry Lee's list. Anything in particular you want to know?

Just curious about my car, that's all.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(davep @ Sep 22 2004, 11:58 AM)

In the 80s....an agreement was reached to have equal number vin numbers by all the major auto manufacturers. The database for CARFAX will only accept the proper numbered vins and even then...will give bad information if there is data input errors.

On my 83, there are two records and the data does not match up.....my records vary due to entering a zero instead of an "O" and vice versa...
davep
QUOTE(GTeener @ Sep 22 2004, 12:00 PM)
Just curious about my car, that's all.

It would help if I had your VIN, other data optional. I may have no info on it at all.
Lou W
Dave, Is it ok to remove the DOT sticker on the drivers door sill when repainting? It probably would go away if the car was dipped, anway. And does it have to be replaced? smile.gif
davep
If you can retain it , then do so. It cannot be replaced with an exact duplicate. It can be replaced, at great expense, by a dealer, but it will not look like the original. For one thing, it will say Porsche, not VW. Another thing is that it is current production style, and some of the details will be incorrect. Some people are making replicas, but that is both illegal, and may also be inaccurate in the perforations. So there is no substitute. It does not, legally, have to be replaced if it goes missing. The Concour Weenies (like me) want to see it though. Again, if you can retain it , then do so. It does add a little value IMHO.

DaveP
Lou W
Dave, Thanks for the input smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.