Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Okay, first off my welder is no where near "top of the line" (Century 80 Flux Core), but for $50 I figured I couldn't go wrong. I'm not expecting TIG quality weld appearance. My question is do you "push" the weld with the tip (right handed, moving right to left), or "draw" it? Also, is there a particular motion or pattern that gives better results? I know, practice-practice-practice, but I'd rather not pickup bad habits starting out. I've got the "Welder's Handbook", pretty much worthless in my opinion <_<
Joe Bob
You can get good results BOTH ways....best to practice on scrap metal before working on a project. I like to draw/pull back but on occasion have to push due to location of the weld.

There are very good welding books on Amazon.com and the local book stores...
seanery
I try to preheat the area I'm moving towards...so, if I'm moving from right to left I like to have my welder pointed to the left.
balljoint
I bring my little Lincoln Electric Weld-Pak 100 MIG over to a welding shop owned by a friend and get to tickle bits of scrap and get schooled at the same time. He taught me to push along the weld, and watching him, that is the way he uses his MIG. So welding from left to right the tip is pointed to the right. (I never asked him why)

That said I have done it both ways, got decent welds both ways, and blown holes through materials both ways.

Hmmmmm

Always nice to make a zero vector post. wacko.gif
bondo
For MIG, I was always taught to point the gun towards the finished weld, so the shielding gas would protect it as it cools. Not applicable to flux core though. Is your flux core adaptable to use shielding gas? If so, I strongly reccomend it, you won't be sorry.
Brando
Ooops. those were CMYK 96DPI...
Brando
#2 (2nd time)
SpecialK
Thanks guys! I'll practice a little when I get home tonight and see if I can't get a descent bead.

Muchas Grass ass!

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.