Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 From Emissions Inspection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM
California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Emissions Inspection Requirement

action required

SB 1224

matthepcat
Good news for 76 teeners in CA.

gothspeed
Are you freaking serious blink.gif ??!!!!!! .......... I sure hope it passes!!!!!! but judging from the insane california legislature ........ it may not ............. hissyfit.gif
toolguy
Don't rely on others to write for you. . . take the few minutes to send an Email and forward this to every car guy you know. . .
You can bet Al Gores' tree hugger Green Peace people will be working to keep this from passing. . . .
904svo
That's a vote getter bill. The EPA mandates all car from 75 on must pass emission testing for the year of the engine.
Elliot Cannon
SEMA is a great lobbying group but they are going to need our help. Send letters or emails to all your state senators and reps. We all need to get behind this bill. If you post on other car forums please mention this bill on those forums.
Cheers, Elliot
Tom_T
I'll see if I can get some non-auto industry orgs. I work with to get behind this too.

It's a step in the right direction, but frankly the original rolling 30 year old car exemption was the right way to go, and hopefully the Sierra Club et al types will get off their high-horses & support this & eventually a 30+/- yr rolling exemption!

Most of them are driving BIG!! SUVs & Pick-ups/crew-cabs spewing as much or more than the classic cars - and they drive them far more miles = WAY MORE smog caused by supposed enviros!!!! dry.gif

I know - I've seen them! They'll hog the roads in single occupant gas guzzlers, then come speak out against roads, cars & smog exemptions left & right, as though they have nothing to do with producing it - let alone trying to reduce it, by their own activities!!!! shades.gif

Nothing against those who have & use them, just don't be a hypocrite & speak out against the very things less harmful &/or needed roads/freeways that you use & what you're doing to worsen smog yourself!

CA guys & gals - write your State Senator & Assemblyman/woman on this bill!
> it will eventually get a corollary bill in the Assembly.

type.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(904svo @ Mar 16 2012, 04:12 PM) *

That's a vote getter bill. The EPA mandates all car from 75 on must pass emission testing for the year of the engine.

Sounds like we need a companion effort in the US Congress & Senate!

BTW folks - Atlanta is in the same air quality non-attainment situation as LA/SD/SoCal & SF Bay area on this restriction.
Mike Bellis
I did it! smile.gif
PancakePorsche
Cannot wait to see the ads against this bill probably showing a black and white, slow motion film of a old station wagon spewing black smoke like a 1963 Boeing 707 with people choking, a devastated forest, and dead seals washing up in Santa Monica bay.
SLITS
done
matthepcat
76 on. Unless the DMV forgot about me.

Elliot Cannon
I just sent emails to my California reps. I will also be sending a written letter to the transportation committee. Lets show some support for this bill.
Cheers, Elliot

Transportation Committee
1020 N Street Rm 112
Sacramento, Ca.

phone 916-319-2093
strawman
Done, I just sent emails to the Committee members, as well as to my local representatives. Do it -- and be sure to personalize your letters so that the legislative analyst staffers that ultimately read the letters don't slough it off as merely a form letter!

Geoff
Sawfish
Here is a copy of the letter I sent you can simply cut and paset into you email.
It could not be simpler.

Take action you dont have to use my format but dont sit on your hands.

Dear Senator, I am writing to share with you my support of SB-1224, This bill would allow vehicles made prior to model year 1981 to be exempt from the Smog inspections. As an Auto hobbyist we are all very committed to the preservation and continued enjoyment of these cars which really represent a fraction of the vehicles on the road and contribute almost nothing to the air quality problems we face. An exclusion would be a welcome respite from the difficulties which face the restorers and maintainers of these now over 30 year old vehicles.
Please consider supporting SB1224 you will have my gratitude and respect.
John
And to think, I was about to send mass mailings to California attempting to BAN all pre 1981 vehicles from driving on public roadways.

That way the prices for all those old Porsches in California would drop like a rock and I would buy some of them.

Just kidding! Sounds like good news for you left coasters. Would that mean that engine swaps with engines up to 1981 would also be exempt?????

Sawfish
QUOTE(John @ Mar 18 2012, 04:15 PM) *

And to think, I was about to send mass mailings to California attempting to BAN all pre 1981 vehicles from driving on public roadways.

That way the prices for all those old Porsches in California would drop like a rock and I would buy some of them.

Just kidding! Sounds like good news for you left coasters. Would that mean that engine swaps with engines up to 1981 would also be exempt?????
Here is the way it works for the current 1975 & older cars I suspect it would be the same for 80 & older. The inspection criteria would be specific to the chassis production date so you could put whatever engine you wanted in the 1980 chassis without fear of government reprisal... rolleyes.gif
mrholland2

No, the EPA does not. It mandates the standards. In MANY states, there is no emission testing at all once the car is on the road.

mrholland2
This bill in the US Senate and Congress would be a waste of time. Emissions inspections are state by state.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 16 2012, 04:29 PM) *

Sounds like we need a companion effort in the US Congress & Senate!

BTW folks - Atlanta is in the same air quality non-attainment situation as LA/SD/SoCal & SF Bay area on this restriction.

Tom_T
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:54 PM) *

This bill in the US Senate and Congress would be a waste of time. Emissions inspections are state by state.

True in part, but it is the US EPA who dictates to the States what their smog controls, emissions standards & attainment levels (how clean their urban area's air must be) .... so in reality the States are only marginally put in charge of enforcing what the Feds say must be done.

Just a couple of years ago the Feds quashed a Calif effort to again up the auto emissions standards which new cars must meet - as they did in the 1960's & 70's, but the Feds & Courts put an end to that move - with lotsa help from Detroit etc.!

So in fact it is a necessary step to increase US EPA & other Federal standards - especially since conversely, the States cannot have anything less stringent than the Feds - as in the case of the 1981 or rolling 30 year classic/vintage vehicle exemptions.

It's a Federal priority based on the priority of government, interstate commerce, etc.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:51 PM) *

No, the EPA does not. It mandates the standards. In MANY states, there is no emission testing at all once the car is on the road.

MrHolland - what he's referring to is under the US EPA's standards for what they call "Non-Attainment Areas", which are most of the big cities which do not meet the Federal Air Quality standards (too smoggy), which include Atlanta, Los Angeles Region, SF Bay Area Region, San Diego & Sacramento Metro Areas, most or all of the San Joaquin Valley, Chicago, Detroit, NYC, etc.

While it's true that they don't technically mandate the smog testing per se, what the Feds do is get the Cities & States by "the short stuff & twist" by denying any non-complying City their share of Federal Highway funding if they either don't meet the Federal/EPA standards, or take the measures in their "standard package" of emissions reduction measures &/or supply an EPA approved set of alternative measures (e.g.: with consideration for things like mass transit improvements).

IIRC - your area of Weed CA is outside of the CA required smog testing, since it is rural and not within one of the non-attainment areas, ergo you may not have that requirement up there in the crystal clear north!
Tom_T
Update: I read earlier this week that this bill was killed in committee by the greenies afraid that a few 1000 miles a year on classics will ruin the air! sad.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 30 2012, 04:49 PM) *

Update: I read earlier this week that this bill was killed in committee by the greenies afraid that a few 1000 miles a year on classics will ruin the air! sad.gif

Wow. It's okay for "Occupiers" to defecate in the streets but it's not okay to drive some old cars a few miles a year. Interesting.... screwy.gif
euro911
dry.gif
SirAndy
And closed ... Way to kill a otherwise informative thread. Good job guys ...
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.