Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking at a WRX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
I've been looking at getting a new daily driver for myself. I was seriously considering a new STI and still am. However, someone local to me is selling a 2002 WRX with 38k miles that they state is in excellent condition. And, the price is very attractive.

Now, if I bought a new car, I wouldn't be concerned about some of the potential shortcomings with the car because of the warranty. But, this car is no longer covered by the factory warranty. So, I'm a little concerned.

I know that there are quite a few folks here that have considerable experience with Subarus. Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for when I go to look at this car? Are there any major issues with this year and/or model?

Thanks
d914
from my studying on the subject and reading up at Their web site, mainly it comes down to the driver. Tranny is subject to harm from 1/4 mile launches at high rpm and slamming of gears. Otherwise if cared for I thik they are pretty reliable.

http://www.nasioc.com/
horizontally-opposed
Interesting, I am selling my 2003 WRX sedan just now. Miles are 29,000 and my price is $19,700 (excellent to VERY nice condition). Just waiting for the title to arrive before getting serious about selling it. Warranty still applies bumper to bumper until 36,000 miles and powertrain warranty is good til 50,000. There is also the option to extend the coverage for between $750-1200 (I think).

SO, the car you are looking at should still have powertrain coverage...

Subies are known to be pretty reliable. The only fault in two years and 29,000 miles with my car is one burned out license plate light bulb. I think there was a minor oil leak near the turbo that resulted in white smoke once, but the dealer insists it was "something from the road" that was kicked up onto the cat.

The key with WRXs is to get one that has not been hacked on, tracked, or abused. These cars are the Dodge Omni GLH of our time, cheap, useful, damn fast, and aimed at a crowd that likes to abuse their cars. And how many GLHs do you see on the road these days?

The VERY BIG difference is that Subaru actually makes a very tough car, so I think the WRXs will be on the road "forever" -- but you might not want one that's been beat down, chipped, thrashed, etc. See how the shifter feels. Ask the owner what kind of oil they used, how often they changed it, how they warmed it up in the morning, etc. etc. All the usuals...
GaroldShaffer
No guru here but I do know that you get a SCCA membership when you buy a WRX new. There are 3 - 5 in my region that joined the SCCA because of this. I know of 2 that have had the trans replaced, my opinion, because of the way the drive when AXing. I guess just like any used car (914) get a PPI done smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
Yep, Greg nailed it: forgot about clutch drops. Car will survive them I hear, but exactly the kind of owners you want to avoid.

Also, the early cars dip into the mid teens around here, but they're usually high miles or post-mod cars. As with everything else, probably want to see all the records and check with the dealer's records too.

pete
fiid
Subaru gearboxes get a little grumpy (first gear) from too many launches and downshifts into first (aggressive city driving :-) ). The 2.0 engines are pretty much bulletproof from what I have heard. They have been around for at least 10 years now in their present form; I think all the bugs have been ironed out.

The problem with clutch drops is that the car is virtually capable of delivering ALL it's power to the road. The AWD works really well, so theres no release in the form of tire spin. This means your tranny gets the crap beaten out of it, as does the clutch.

As for the rest of the car - it's Japanese - which means the interior does degrade a little over time, but Subaru's seem to hold together pretty well. Build quality is generally pretty good. The Imprezzas particularly seem to have very few foibles.

I had a 2001 2.5RS which I bought in 2000 and sold last month. In the time I owned it the driver side window bound up a little when I first got it (was fixed under warranty), and the fan resistor module broke (which I fixed with a soldering iron and a pair of pliers).

My step father has owned legacys for at least 15 years (in the UK). He has towed 2-3 ton loads with them, filled them with sand, concrete, carried lumber on the roof (and hang gliders), run them on miles of dirt roads, in summer and winter conditions. He has had 3 in 15 years - he normally buys them with 60-90k on the clock and runs them until they literally fall apart. I think he had 250k (hard miles in his case) on the clock. He works in the building trade and uses it like a pickup truck. Remember that the UK gets a lot of rain, and also salt in the winter.
mightyohm
agree.gif

They are good cars but widely abused. Watch out. They also hold their value very well which sometimes makes the difference between new and used small enough to consider buying new. That is what I did - I bought a 2004 model that had been sitting on the lot for a year at a price that made more sense to me.

The Sti is fun but I have heard that they can ping on 91 octane. I don't know if it's true or what kind of gas you get up there but it's something to think about.

Also IMHO the wagon looks cooler. No Sti sport wagon.. yet.
davidcalvin
Okay so I _am_ clueless. What on earth is a clutch drop?
phantom914
QUOTE(davidcalvin @ Sep 21 2004, 02:08 PM)
Okay so I _am_ clueless. What on earth is a clutch drop?

Revving the engine and dropping the clutch..or popping the clutch. Same thing.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.