Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory flare set on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Socalandy
FYI, thought I'd share the info smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Steel-Por...=item2ebc61cc67

boxstr
I sold a set exactly like these on ebay a few years ago. This is a very good price for what they are.
Craig at CAMP
sixnotfour
yup they where bare metal, green/yellow, then black, Factory
Socalandy
It is a very good deal for an NOS set, I guess my black factory flares were the last run based on Jeff's post

Yes, I spend to much time on Ebay type.gif
carr914
Yes, that is a Good Price smilie_flagge6.gif
hot_shoe914
But once they are installed and painted, will anyone be able to tell the difference? confused24.gif
carr914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:14 AM) *

But once they are installed and painted, will anyone be able to tell the difference? confused24.gif

Yes actually, especially the Rears. The Originals are thinner Steel and have some flex to them. If someone is flareing a Real -6, these would be a Must!

In some ways the RePros are a better flare - heavier metal aktion035.gif
zymurgist
Fun Fact!
John
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 17 2012, 05:09 AM) *

Yes actually, especially the Rears. The Originals are thinner Steel and have some flex to them. If someone is flareing a Real -6, these would be a Must!

That's not true of the factory flares installed on our track car (in about 1984). The rears are the same thickness as the fronts. BTW, the flares from back then came with brown/red primer like most other spare sheet metal from the factory (at least back then). They were not bare metal and did have the old style factory stickers on them.

If you believe all the stories/rumors/internet legends, the flares made by restoration design are actually symmetrical while the originals are supposedly not.
bulitt
Here's what I'm seeing from the pics. Bottom edge on each flare better formed. No stress wrinkles along the top like aftermarkets. Probably easier to install and blend the bottoms. One flare looks like it is folded under slightly on top edge.
Socalandy
Here are pics of mine a bit closer, They sure fit nice and needed trimming at the bottom flange only. The bottom corners are more rounded the the glass rockers. They had old and new stickers with bar code on them
Socalandy
I was lucky to get my hands on these otherwise I would have done the car as a narrow body
carr914
QUOTE(John @ Mar 17 2012, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 17 2012, 05:09 AM) *

That's not true of the factory flares installed on our track car (in about 1984). The rears are the same thickness as the fronts. BTW, the flares from back then came with brown/red primer like most other spare sheet metal from the factory (at least back then). They were not bare metal and did have the old style factory stickers on them.

If you believe all the stories/rumors/internet legends, the flares made by restoration design are actually symmetrical while the originals are supposedly not.

I was not saying the F VS R was different thickness on the Originals, but they are both thinner the Repros. smg & I were fooled one day looking at a Real -6, we swore they were Glass they were so thin.
Socalandy
So did someone here snag them? They sold today popcorn[1].gif icon_bump.gif
sixnotfour
BTW, the flares from back then came with brown/red primer like most other spare sheet metal from the factory (at least back then). They were not bare metal and did have the old style factory stickers on them.

Here are the 2 sets of bare metal flairs purchased from VP way back by my buddy and I, I have seen quite a few yellow primer and black primer, But not the red primer, I would like to see a picture for reference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.