Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
I was wondering what you turbo guys run for Fuel injection?
Mueller
2 of them are running CIS (parts sourced from VW rabbits and Audis)

I think Ben is running an Autronic unit...I'll be using a megasquirt

a few have been built using the stock/modified D-Jet, but it is not an ideal setup since making adustments are not very easy (the manifold pressure sensor is a PITA with turbos)....

all of the programmable fuel injections are perfect for a turbo.....yes, you can use a factory fuel injection from let's say a turbo Saab, but it'll be more work than it's worth if you need to change some of the characteristics of the programming and have no easy way to do so.
lapuwali
I'd agree that using one of the programmable aftermarket units is the way to go. The stock FI components other than the ECU and the MPS can generally be used, and there's slowly getting to be a critical mass of people who've gone this route that you're likely to find someone who's been there to help with tuning.

CIS is actually a very nice setup for a turbo if electronics puts you off. I think at least one variation of the Type 3 or Type 4 used CIS/K-Jet (for a Bus? or was it the 912E?).

One that that's very helpful for the turbo fitter to have no matter what injection system you use, however, is programmable ignition control that can use manifold pressure to control advance. If electronics doesn't put you off, there are several Megasquirt related projects to include things like ignition timing and boost control directly in the Megasquirt unit.

See Megasquirt forums

The only real difficulty with MS right now is its very DIY nature, and the dizzying array of variations. Takes awhile just to figure out what's available.
Britain Smith
I will be using Electromotive TEC-3.

-Britain
Mueller
(hyjack smile.gif )

Hey James, if the weather is decent, I plan on playing with my car tommorow to see if the parts you mentioned on the board get too hot.

I'm betting that is what the problem is...I'll know as soon as I upload a new program and turn the key..if it starts, it's a board/heat related issue...

even with the CIS, you can retard the ignition by running the correct MSD box with a distributor...I believe Ed (Evill) had a boost/retard feature on his car...
lapuwali
I'm still slogging away on my board assembly. If yours is still f-ed up, we'll see if a different board helps. Do you have any way of measuring temp reasonably accurately? The processor has a 70dC temp limit before it starts to flake out. Might just tape a thermistor to it and watch it on a DMM...
Mueller
I'm still slogging away on my board assembly

well, hurry up and finish the darn thing so I can use it!!!!
LOL

i have a Barnant 90 digital thermometer (Type K thermocouple), it should work fine for this operation....I have another MS that I picked up from'Chung, I'll give his a try as well if mine starts to freak out.
DNHunt
Hijack allert! w00t.gif

It's been 18 months since I finished my MS (next to turbo tie rods the best thing I ever did, hasn't missed a beat) and with the new motor with crankfire ignition, I'm gonna need new code. So I've been spending a little time over there trying to get a handle on it again. Now there must be a hundred different variations not to mention a whole new version. I'm kind of lost.

My current code is the old Hi Res code which I don't think even exists in the latest version. Added to that was a little snippet that allowed me to run closed loop with 3 different target AFRs that varied with MAP. I suspect all of that will have to go as I'm not good enough with assembly to add the parts I like to the new code. I might take a look at keeping the old version and adding the spark portion (EDIS). It's gonna be a real challenge.

Not like the old days, way too many choices. Kinda like a huge aeomeba that keeps growing. sad.gif

Dave
lapuwali
I know what you mean, Dave. Lots and lots of variations now. There's an effort underway, led primarily by the guy that did the MSnS code (distributor-fired programmable ignition) to fold all of the popular variations into one codebase with lots of options, all of which will be settable and tunable with MegaTune (the MT guy is in on this, too). They're in BETA now. I believe it's referred to as the 'extras' codebase on the MS board. Poke around on the MSnS section of the MS board and you'll find the discussion. It's a really long thread and still on-going. I think jmscortina is the guy doing the work. I think they only went beta last week, so it's very much bleeding edge stuff, still.

I know they're planning on having both distributor and EDIS fired ignition control in the same version, and I'm pretty sure the hires stuff is basically the main code line now.

What I would do (indeed, what I plan to do myself) is build a programmer and have one chip that has code I know works, and another with the experimental stuff. I'm taking the conservative route, and will just use the B&G code first to get my car running with a distributor, then switch to EDIS using the extras code once it looks stable (and I get around to pulling the engine to fit the crankwheel).
Sammy
You can't turbo a type 4.
I crack me up. biggrin.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 22 2004, 02:54 PM)
You can't turbo a type 4.

I'll be sure to remember that. wink.gif Now if you'll excuse me gentlemen, it's time to go spool-up. (queue: ZZ-Top "Under Pressure")

To the original question: I'm using a Perfect Power MIC3 ecu to control fuel and ignition. For my next turbo project I will likely use next-generation megasquirt or another ecu from Perfect Power.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.