Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Alignment...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
Let's pretend that a Club member might live in the middle of BFE (or Kansas... same thing).

This hypothetical Club member wants to do some F&R suspension work (powdercoat, etc), and then reinstall his A-arms, steering, trailing arms, etc. However, there are no close-by shops that specialize in 914s.

So, aside from driving 200 miles to someone qualified - what can this person do? Do you stand there and watch the car get re-aligned? Do you give them the specs, and stand back and hope?

Paying for one alignment to "rough it in", and then driving 200 miles to a more qualified shop to pay for the work to be done again - seems like false economy.

I'd be interested in hearing any opinions.
Kerrys914
I am in kind-a the same situation as you...although not 200mi smile.gif

I bought some home alignment tools and found some good write-ups on the how to's of home alignments.

I think I can get real close with the tools I have bought. I think I paid under $50 (including the paper for the write-ups)

Some guys say they only do home alignments, we'll see

If things don't workout I am only out $50 and some time.

I'll snap some photo's of the tools I have and send them to you if you like.

Cheers beer.gif
Kerry
Gint
I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong on this...

Your average alignment shop should be able to do a standard alignment on a 914. It shouldn't be rocket science. You may have to educate them about the rear control arm shims, and supply your own, but they should be able to get it "good enough" to get it to a really qualified shop. And there has to be a small shop in Topeka that knows what a 914 is?
airsix
Lawrence, I'm in the DIY camp. I used to want nothing to do with DIY allignment work but I have finally surrendered. I can take my wife's Accord to any shop in town and get a decent allignment. Kinda helps that the only thing adjustable on the car is toe.

I've tried getting my 914 alligned per my specs everywhere in town and finally just gave up. I too, live in "BFE". Durring my last attempt I specified the exact toe, camber, and caster I wanted. When they were done I asked to see the sheet and it was nowhere near what I requested. When I asked about it they said "That's close enough". (Is camber that's a full degree off "close enough?" NO! I could have got it closer with a 10# sledge) So now I do it myself. mad.gif Takes longer, but you can do a very accurate home allignment if you are very deliberate about it.

-Ben M.
Jeroen
Hey Rusty,

If you take some good measurements before you take the suspension off, you should be able to put it back under at the same or at least close specs.
That would allow you to drive the car to a decent shop.

Or you can take the plunge and do the alignments all by your self (if it don't work out, you can always take it to a shop afterwards)

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Didn't you know the you can't align the rear end of a 914!
Take the specs and some shims with you to the shop. Watch the guy work on you car and help him figure out how to do it to your specs.

Be sure to PB Blaster all the adjustment bolts before hand especially the rears since they like to snap off!
Geoff
Brad Roberts
LB,

I'll brief about this. For what you are going to do... the only real measurement that will get screwed up is the toe adjustmen (which can be done with a tape measure and some chalk)

Measure/mark down what rear shims came out and from which side (measure toe from the rear of the tire on a given spot and to the tranny on a given spot. Measure both sides and WRITE down where you measured from on the tire (I use a paint marker on the tranny and tire) so I can go back to the exact same spot. During assmebly.

The front is trickier for the toe..but not that bad. You wont be changing the camber/caster unless you pull the upper strut mounts out of the tub while the strut is down. The abll joints effect camber/caster..but only if yours are totally toast. You can set the front toe by finding a spot on the front side of the tire and measuring to the same spot on the other side. You do this with the front side of the tire and the back side of the tire. This will get you to an alignment shop. Just set it up with zero toe (same measurement on the front of the tire as the rear)

B
Lawrence
Thank you for all the replies. I've printed this thread. I'm not ready to tear the suspension apart, but will be looking hard at it the next few weeks. New bushings, POR-15, powder coating, etc... are all going to be part of the bargain.

Kerry, I'd be interested in your photos... please post them?

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.