Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: overkill?? cabin-adjustible shocks????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
so every once in a while i pick up a magazine geared towards the ricers...I noticed one company is selling shocks that have small stepper motors attached to them so that one can dial in more or less rebound/compression* while sitting in the drivers seat

*it might be one or the other, not too sure if it affects both with this brand

just thought I'd share this smile.gif

hmmmmm, now what should I do with the 20 or so small stepper motors I have shoved into a drawer at home?? wink.gif smash.gif
Brett W
Of course any real car guy would integrate the Data Aquisition, Fuel injection control, and traction control so that when the car needed more shock rate the computer would do it for you. But a switch inside would probably be easier.
airsix
Mike,
Go find a first-gen Ford Probe in a wrecking yard. Some were equiped with driver-adjustable shocks (I'm positive they were Konis). The steppers were mounted on top of the Konis with a controller in the center console. You should be able to just pull the motors and controller out and be good to go - no R&D required. I also knew a guy with a 90-ish Supra turbo that had driver adjustable shocks but don't know the details. But the Probe setup I've seen first hand and it looked like a piece of cake to retrofit to any car with Konis. My only concern would be that you make sure you've got enough hood clearance. The stepper motor units aren't very tall, but if I recall they are about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Definitely worth looking into.

-Ben M.
airsix
Followup:

You might also want to look at late 80's and early 90's Mazda 323 and 626's. I think they had some kind of driver adjustable suspension feature (called "ASA" or something like that). Since the Probe was based on the 626 chassis it might be the same shock adjusting system as I've seen on the Probe.

-Ben M.
phantom914
QUOTE(airsix @ Sep 21 2004, 08:55 PM)
Followup:

You might also want to look at late 80's and early 90's Mazda 323 and 626's. I think they had some kind of driver adjustable suspension feature (called "ASA" or something like that). Since the Probe was based on the 626 chassis it might be the same shock adjusting system as I've seen on the Probe.

-Ben M.

MX-6 too. Up to '92 like the Probe.

Andrew
Jeroen
Do a search for carrera shocks
Those have electro magnetic valves that can be adjusted in car
seanery
Mike,
put the tools down and step away from the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.