Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BBC news article on VW
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
This is from a BBC news article...

High hopes had been pinned on the fifth incarnation of the Golf, which was launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September last year.

VW's share price rose from 30 euros to more than 45 euros per share in the months preceding the show.

The Golf was always leading the class, not just in terms of volume but in terms of defining what is that class

But soon after its launch, the car ran into trouble as VW was forced to offer incentives, such as free airconditioning, to fuel sales of the model.

This "suggests that all is less than brilliant there", according to Invesco Asset Management fund manager Gerald Roessel.

Since the launch of the new Golf, VW's share price has slipped sharply.

It is not quite back to where it was a year ago, but still the stock is currently trading well below 40 euros.

Analysts are also concerned about VW's expensive push into the market for luxury cars with its Phaeton, the Audi A8, the Bentley Continental GT and the Bugatti Veyron.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3546229.stm
rick 918-S
Click and Clack the tappet brothers said they weren't happy with the vehicles extensive mechanical break down record. They didn't elaborate but they did say it..
thomasotten
I wonder what Click and Clack would say about 914's.... he he...
fiid
I'm always tempted to call in and ask how to replace the suspension bushings or something similar. It would at least be funny.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(fiid @ Sep 22 2004, 09:30 AM)
I'm always tempted to call in and ask how to replace the suspension bushings or something similar. It would at least be funny.

I have been wanting to call Tom and Ray the Car Talk guys ever since I got my 914. Talk about stump the chumps, I wouldn't know where to begin though.

As far as VW goes I hate to say it but from what I have heard over the last couple of years on reliability I wouldn't buy a new one. I am a big VW fan and have owned several, older classics and newer modern VWs. I loved my '84 Jetta GLi too bad I had to sell it to pay for that last term of college.
maf914
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 22 2004, 06:27 AM)
I wonder what Click and Clack would say about 914's.... he he...

I like the Car Talk guys, they can be pretty funny at times, but their show is really about banter and jokes with the callers, most of whom know little about cars. They regularly dis air cooled VW's, especially old buses, so I doubt if the 914 would fare any better with them. They would probably pull the old NARP routine! laugh.gif

I know they're supposed to be mechanics, but I've never got the opinion that they really like any particular type of car. They joke about one brother's old Dodge Dart, but I don't recall them ever talking about any type of vehicle that they think is cool. confused24.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 22 2004, 10:14 AM)

I know they're supposed to be mechanics, but I've never got the opinion that they really like any particular type of car. They joke about one brother's old Dodge Dart, but I don't recall them ever talking about any type of vehicle that they think is cool. confused24.gif

I think they would like the 914, they seem to like any car that the top comes off. They also recomend Subaru's especialy the Forester, becouse of safety and reliability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.