Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: battery drain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
The WRX914 has a battery drain. Pulled all fuses, relays, grounds. No change.
I ended up at the generator?
I pulled the two big white wires off (coming from the battery) and removed the plug with two small wires. The pole that the two big wires went to has continuity to ground.
Is this telling me that the $200 generator is bad?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 02:52 PM) *

I pulled the two big white wires off (coming from the battery) and removed the plug with two small wires. The pole that the two big wires went to has continuity to ground.

your generator may have turned itself into a motor. have you checked the voltage regulator?
ruby914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 02:05 PM) *

your generator may have turned itself into a motor. have you checked the voltage regulator?

Generator is what the manual calls it.
Alternator / generator, am I correct in thinking there is no regulator to be checked on the WRX charging system?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Generator is what the manual calls it.
Alternator / generator, am I correct in thinking there is no regulator to be checked on the WRX charging system?

hmmmm, not sure. i thought you may still be using the stock alternator....
ruby914
Best I can tell, the system is charging fine but will drain over night.
When alternators go bad, I think of them just not charging anymore?
confused24.gif

mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 04:28 PM) *

Best I can tell, the system is charging fine but will drain over night.
When alternators go bad, I think of them just not charging anymore?
confused24.gif

sometimes when the voltage regulator goes bad, whether its internal or external, the alternator actually becomes the opposite and turns into a motor and will drain your battery.
ruby914
I just checked the truck and there is no continuity through the alternator like the WRX.
sad.gif
Last week I blew some fuses and lost my head light motors for some unknown reason. They all work now. idea.gif
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 04:52 PM) *

I just checked the truck and there is no continuity through the alternator like the WRX.
sad.gif
Last week I blew some fuses and lost my head light motors for some unknown reason. They all work now. idea.gif

were they blown, or did they blow when you pulled on the switch?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 05:29 PM) *

sad.gif

is your alternator fairly new? or is its life unknown?
ruby914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 05:29 PM) *

sad.gif

is your alternator fairly new? or is its life unknown?

unknown or about 60k miles that was on the wrx that was installed.

Now that I have the alternator out, I check continuity through and get nothing with the black lead to the terminal and red to the body.
With the red lead to the terminal and black to body I get resistance.
I thought it didn't matter + or _ with continuity.
I went back to the truck and did the same and got the same. mad.gif wacko.gif
So it's good confused24.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 17 2012, 04:29 PM) *

sad.gif

Not sure, one night I jumped in and the lights didn't come up.
found a blown fuse got 1/2 way home did it again.

A front blinker wire was almost broken, and the light socket had some funk. I rewired both blinkers with new connectors, new fuses, fixed the funk and everything worked after.

until a week or so and got this slow drain.
I did completely unplug the blinkers and it still drained.
mrbubblehead
hmmm, my next suggestion was going to be to disconnect the alternator and see if it still drains. but it sounds like you have a voltage tester have you checked to see if you still have a draw with the alternator removed? that woul be my next move....
ruby914
Well, I took it down to Pepboys and they tested the alternator. Said it was bad.
Not one to trust their test I took it to O'Rielys, they said the same.
On the 2nd test I was able to get a detailed report of what failed, an overcharging regulator.
I think it's time to throw some money at it.
Thanks for the help.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 07:12 PM) *

Well, I took it down to Pepboys and they tested the alternator. Said it was bad.
On the 2nd test I was able to get a detailed report of what failed, an overcharging regulator.
Thanks for the help.

glad you got it sorted.....i would have gotten a second opinion too. im not very trusting myself.
ruby914
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 17 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Thanks for the help.

Autozone was willing to order one over the phone yesterday.
I went down to pick it up and my old one tested good.

Went to another Autozone and it tested good.

Went back to O'Rielys it tested bad.

Went back to the first Pepboys and it tested good.

screwy.gif smash.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif WTF.gif blowup.gif

It's going back in the car.
mrbubblehead
what a nightmare bro.....

so your gonna reinstall the og one?
ruby914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 18 2012, 01:23 PM) *

With no good indication it's bad. It's going back in.
Taking it apart gave me a chance to put a gloss coat on the CF intake and paint some brackets.
I still don't understand how I could see continuity one way, flip the leads and see an open circuit the other way?
I will keep digging as I go...
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 18 2012, 02:45 PM) *

Taking it apart gave me a chance to put a gloss coat on the CF intake and paint some brackets.
I still don't understand how I could see continuity one way, flip the leads and see an open circuit the other way?

it may be going thru the diode from + to - but the diode will prevent it from - to +.
ruby914
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 18 2012, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 18 2012, 02:45 PM) *

it may be going thru the diode from + to - but the diode will prevent it from - to +.

Yea,
If that is the case, I thinking my tests may have been as faulty as O'Rielys.
mrbubblehead
LOL.... i would bet its the alt. did your battery drain last night while it was out? if all of your drainage test ( pulling fuses and such) point to the alt, what else could it be? the battery maybe? maybe google DIY alternator test?
Tom
Your testing the alternator with on ohmmeter sounds correct. Diodes will read one way, not the other if they are good. Although this is not a test that proves them good all of the time. They sometimes can break down under load.
Here is what I would do. Charge up the battery , hook everything up like it should be and test the battery voltage when off and when running. Off should be same voltage as battery voltage after charging, on and running should be 13 - 14 volts. If this is good, alternator is probably OK.
Now ( step 1), disconnect the 4 red wires at the + battery terminal and leave overnight. If the battery is good it means you have a drain in your power to the key switch, fuse panel under dash, or relay board. If battery is still bad, ( step 2) disconnect the neg battery post, charge it up and leave overnight. If battery is bad then, you have a bad battery.
If after step 2 the battery is OK, then disconnect the large alternator lead at the starter and insulate it, hook up the battery neg and positive terminals and let it set overnight. If battery now is bad, you have something causing a current draw in the alternator.
Hope this helps get you through this.
Tom
ruby914
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 18 2012, 04:49 PM) *

Your testing the alternator with on ohmmeter sounds correct. Diodes will read one way, not the other if they are good. Although this is not a test that proves them good all of the time. They sometimes can break down under load.
Here is what I would do. Charge up the battery , hook everything up like it should be and test the battery voltage when off and when running. Off should be same voltage as battery voltage after charging, on and running should be 13 - 14 volts. If this is good, alternator is probably OK.
Now ( step 1), disconnect the 4 red wires at the + battery terminal and leave overnight. If the battery is good it means you have a drain in your power to the key switch, fuse panel under dash, or relay board or alternator. If battery is still bad, ( step 2) disconnect the neg battery post, charge it up and leave overnight. If battery is bad then, you have a bad battery.
If after step 2 the battery is OK, then disconnect the large alternator lead at the starter and insulate it, hook up the battery neg and positive terminals and let it set overnight. If battery now is bad, you have something causing a current draw in the alternator.
Hope this helps get you through this.
Tom

Thanks Tom,
Last night the battery was unplugged and it now starts right up.
Ok, Battery is charged with 12v. With car running I get 14.5v.
The one failed test I saw at O'Reiles was an over charge.

The load I read on the multimeter with everything hooked up and with the dial on Rx10, the needle reads 5. I don't know, is that a lot?
Disconnect the alternator and it reads about 30.

The car has 90% Subaru wiring, ECU, and gauge cluster.
The WRX gauge cluster is not showing a charging or battery problem.

The car will sit over night with the alternator unplugged.
Tom
The load I read on the multimeter with everything hooked up and with the dial on Rx10, the needle reads 5. I don't know, is that a lot?

Where are you taking this reading? It is 50 ohms and 300 ohms Rx10, so multiply the reading by 10. Quite a difference, but I need to know where and what leads were where. Black lead to ground, red lead to ?. Do this reading with the neg. battery cable disconnected. With everything off, this reading should be high as in lots of ohms. The more the better. 50 ohms to ground will give you 240 miliamps ( 12 volts/50 ohms=0.24 amps) 300 gives you 12/300=0.04 amps). Do you have a clock hooked up? A clock should not run the battery down, however it is good to know when taking readings.
Sounds like maybe you have a drain in the alternator. Is it very dirty? Oil and dirt can combine to form resistance and coat parts in the alternator until you get a path for current to flow, however small.
Tomorrow should give you some answers,
Tom
ruby914
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 19 2012, 01:19 AM) *

Where are you taking this reading? It is 50 ohms and 300 ohms Rx10, so multiply the reading by 10. Quite a difference, but I need to know where and what leads were where. Black lead to ground, red lead to ?. Do this reading with the neg. battery cable disconnected. With everything off, this reading should be high as in lots of ohms. The more the better. 50 ohms to ground will give you 240 miliamps ( 12 volts/50 ohms=0.24 amps) 300 gives you 12/300=0.04 amps). Do you have a clock hooked up? A clock should not run the battery down, however it is good to know when taking readings.
Sounds like maybe you have a drain in the alternator. Is it very dirty? Oil and dirt can combine to form resistance and coat parts in the alternator until you get a path for current to flow, however small.
Tomorrow should give you some answers,
Tom

No clock. Readings were taken between + battery (connected) and- battery lead (disconnected). The alternator seems clean, don't think that is a problem.
I messed up last night and left the - lead disconnected.
Everything is connected now and I will take the other car to work.
I went back and checked the truck the same way and I get the same readings so It seems like all is relatively normal. I will know more when I get home...
Tom
I just took readings on mine and I am reading in the megohms with the negative disconnected and everything else hooked up.
Since you are saying you have a lot of the WRX electrics installed, then that is where I would look for the drain on the battery. Sorry I can't help there, no Subaru experience. How are the Subie electrics getting power? Isolate the power to them and take new readings. Lower ohms to ground readings with things off = more current when sitting overnight. In a perfect electrical/electronic system that would be 0 amps. Theoretically possible, but not practical. You will always have a very small current.
By the way, do you get a small spark when hooking up the battery? That is a good indication that you have something drawing current.
Tom
ruby914
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 19 2012, 12:41 PM) *

I just took readings on mine and I am reading in the megohms with the negative disconnected and everything else hooked up.
Since you are saying you have a lot of the WRX electrics installed, then that is where I would look for the drain on the battery. Sorry I can't help there, no Subaru experience. How are the Subie electrics getting power? Isolate the power to them and take new readings. Lower ohms to ground readings with things off = more current when sitting overnight. In a perfect electrical/electronic system that would be 0 amps. Theoretically possible, but not practical. You will always have a very small current.
By the way, do you get a small spark when hooking up the battery? That is a good indication that you have something drawing current.
Tom

Just an update.
Slow to update because my Modem is acting up like my car was.

The car sat for days with every thing hooked up but a door is off and the door ajar light has been on all that time. Car started with out a problem yesterday.
I look forward to get this body work on the door completed and start driving again.

I am hoping it fixed its self because I didn't do anything.
And hope I am not speaking too soon.

Now, I wish my modem and lawnmower would follow the cars example.
mrholland2
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 23 2012, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 19 2012, 12:41 PM) *

Tom

Just an update.
Slow to update because my Modem is acting up like my car was.

The car sat for days with every thing hooked up but a door is off and the door ajar light has been on all that time. Car started with out a problem yesterday.
I look forward to get this body work on the door completed and start driving again.

I am hoping it fixed its self because I didn't do anything.
And hope I am not speaking too soon.

Now, I wish my modem and lawnmower would follow the cars example.

Since things don't fix themselves, you should hope that there was a misconnection or a bad connection that you corrected in all the tests etc you did. Otherwise, the problem will return (and, in my past experience, with a vengeance)
ruby914
Ok, so they don't fix them selves.
Guess I didn't let it drain long enough.
Got a new Innova 3320 multimeter.
I just have to learn how to use more functions.

I am guessing I don't plug the red meter lead to the 200mA MAX fused receiver?
I use the DC10A receiver?

Now, everything is connected but the - battery cable.
Put the meter on DC10A, one lead to - B terminal the other to - B cable.
I read .250 off the bat but that drops quickly then becomes a very slow decline around .170

Is this reading .25x10 = 2.5A ... bad
or .25A, what I am understanding is not bad?
Tom
You don't have to multiply the reading. The DC10A just means that jack will handle up to 10 amps direct current before blowing the internal fuse. 250 miliamps isn't too bad, but it makes me wonder where that much is going. Maybe the Subie ECU?
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.