Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can OEM center caps be restored?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I have this dented set...looking for some one to restore them for me. How perfect can they get or will they always be wavy? I think they are stainless steel?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Poked them out from the back with a screwdriver handle, eh Jeff? poke.gif

Did that once, so I replaced it long ago. But, I'd bet you would need a very heavy stamping press to get those wrinkles out.

Paul
914_teener
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 17 2012, 08:20 PM) *

Did that once, so I replaced it long ago. But, I'd bet you would need a very heavy stamping press to get those wrinkles out.

Paul

Agree.......but the metal will have to be shrunk first then pressed and then refinished.

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 17 2012, 08:20 PM) *

Paul

Nope not me...I am smarter than that, these came to me that way.
Mikey914
The only way to restore would be a die set, even then they would have to be striped and refinished. You still have the issue of galvanic corrosion. And they at easily deformed. There is a special removal / install tool. I could make some to keep them from being damaged. But that's the only way to keep from damaging these again.

JeffBowlsby
Mark, you think a 2 piece die set that would flatten them in a press would do it? There may be a market for this service.

I think these are polished stainless steel...but have not taken a magnet to them yet, they dont look like chrome to my eye...and no rust.
Mikey914
I can make the dies, not sure if they will press completely flat, but worth a try.

I'll start a thread on the removal / tool. The best way to keep from damaging these in the first place.
sixnotfour
Jeff /Mark , I have the die set and the ones pictured can be pressed and polished like new.
nasty ones take some shrinking , Jeff's are not that bad.
Bartlett 914
I made a simple die set to do this. My arbor press is only 2 ton. It did help but a lot more tonnage will be needed to make them flat. They are good enough if you want to put a sticker on them
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 18 2012, 04:45 AM) *

I made a simple die set to do this. My arbor press is only 2 ton. It did help but a lot more tonnage will be needed to make them flat. They are good enough if you want to put a sticker on them

They are definitely stainless and that is a very big plus.
It is very workable and can be polished to practically new appearance.
A press and die is good but great results are possible without heavy equipment.
The right craftsman with a light touch can get great results.
Sharp creases on the rim are tough though.
914_teener
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 18 2012, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 18 2012, 04:45 AM) *

They are definitely stainless and that is a very big plus.
It is very workable and can be polished to practically new appearance.
A press and die is good but great results are possible without heavy equipment.
The right craftsman with a light touch can get great results.
Sharp creases on the rim are tough though.

More tonnage will stretch the metal. Stainless "work hardens" then it is very difficult to work.

With stainless less working is better.

Shrinking the metal first and then press them with a flat die set with minimal tonnage enough to straighten them.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.