Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got Heater S-tube gaskets'?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Anyone else have these gaskets (the two at the bottom)? They were glued into the edge channel on the S-tube hot air ducts where the clamp onto the fan housing...I have not seen these before.

Has anyone bought these new?

Got PN's? I don't see them in PET.
pilothyer
Hi Jeff, A few years back I bought the new ones, When I put them on and intalled the heater branch pieces I realized they were a pure waste of money. The fit was very loose and would certainly allow leaks of both air and oil and when raining water (quick steamup of cabin) I redid the entire system and this time I used the High Temp Red silicone sealer. I cleaned every surface that needed sealing and applied a generous amount in all the places the gaskets are supposed to be. I let it set up fully (it remains flexible and compresses well when the clamps are tightened). Just yesterday I had to remove the engine in my daily driver to locate and repair some front of engine oil leaks. When I removed the branch pieces from the heat exchangers there was an abundance of oil all over the joints of the branch pieces and the heat exchangers, but not even the slightest trace of oil made it past the silicone sealer...the heat exchangers, the branch pieces, the warm air guides, and the j-pipes were oil free inside................In case you just have to have the original cork type seals, AA can fix you up for about $60.00...................They are listed in the PET as gaskets for lid....part numbers 021 256 325 A (right) and 021 256 326 (left)....................Jerry
pete000
I made the narrow one from a valve cover cork gasket, just cut it down and glued it to the Heater box. Worked great. I was not aware of the other gasket. Should be easy to make from gasket blank sheet.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 17 2012, 10:27 PM) *

.... Should be easy to make from gasket blank sheet.

That's what I did. I was not about to pay $60 for them from AA. About 15 minutes with an exacto knife yielded very acceptable results.
Phil Plummer
Hello Iam doing a 914/6 conversion with a 3.0 going in with headers then monza style exhaust -Does anybody know how to, or has some one done a heat exchanger?
I think I could make shift a heat exchanger on it from the 911sc 3.0 heat exchanger the engine came with...... has this been done by any body???
I have acces to a mig or tig welder
rhodyguy
for cheapo gaskets make a VERY slight bead of black RTV on what would be the mating surfaces of the clamping pieces and the inside edge of the branch ducting where the meet the heat exchangers. allow it to fully setup prior to install. one vendor used to list them in their catalog. quite expensive for what you get.

k

JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the replies. I guess no one has the two lower gaskets in the photo, per my original question. Pretty sure they came glued into the metal duct piece new, these are a harder denser material, off-white in color, than the cover gasket (which is black and more resilient) that can be obtained (top gasket in photo)
Bartlett 914
I used an o-ring. Worked OK but I suspect the RTV works better.
IronHillRestorations
Based on advice from Brad Mayeur, I've used the red high temp RTV on a few projects with good results.
euro911
I run without any gaskets. Is there some real danger doing this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.