Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orig. 914-6 spare wheel configuration.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pete000
How were the spare wheels finished on the early 914-6's ?

Were they black with the face painted silver? all black? or were they all silver?

I have seen bot, but not sure if someone might have just painted the wheel all silver at some point over the last 40 years or so.

Found this picture of a claimed virgin spare on a 1970 914-6. Looks to be black.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 17 2012, 11:03 PM) *

Were they black with the face painted silver?

That would be my guess.

Going through 17 yikes.gif pages of the "nailed" thread on wheels & tires does not show anything conclusive (other than to show that the Orginality Format needs to be cleaned up, condensed and purged of extraneous and often duplicated information).

Paul
6freak
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 18 2012, 12:03 AM) *

Were they black with the face painted silver? all black? or were they all silver?

I have seen bot, but not sure if someone might have just painted the wheel all silver at some point over the last 40 years or so.

Found this picture of a claimed virgin spare on a 1970 914-6. Looks to be black.

I have stock wheels and there silver inside and out
smile.gif
pete000
This might be one of those things Porsche did inconsistently. I found a correct 1970 steel wheel and it looks to have never been painted and it is all silver. Seeing a black one confuses me.
mskala
I just went out and looked at mine.

The back is painted black.
The front is chrome.
The area around the lugs is painted black where the hubcap would go.
There is a wire retainer for the valve stem that wraps around it and clips through the holes.

Picture of (most) of wheel from pelican
6freak
i do believe the chrome steel wheels are all black inside ...and silver is just that smile.gif
Pat Garvey
I would bet that regular steel wheels were painted the same on the six as on the four. That is, the back was painted satin black. The fronts were painted non-clearcoated silver, with the lug areas painted flat black (maybe the entire front was painted silver, with the lug areas sprayed flat black?).

When I had my four's wheels restored in I told the shop to make the 4 being restored exactly as the spare (which was as stated above). They did an excellent job, except they painted everything silver and clearcoated it!

They looked so gorgeous that I accepted them, but the spare wheel is still black on the back, silver in the front, with dull black in the lug areas.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 18 2012, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 17 2012, 11:03 PM) *

Were they black with the face painted silver?

That would be my guess.

Going through 17 yikes.gif pages of the "nailed" thread on wheels & tires does not show anything conclusive (other than to show that the Orginality Format needs to be cleaned up, condensed and purged of extraneous and often duplicated information).

Paul

I'd be more than happy to recommend you to moderator status, so you can clean things up.
pete000
Hummm, I bet the one in the picture with the black inner is a chrome steelie. It is on the white six on ebay right now. I will ask the seller. Yup it is a chrome spare.

Chromes had the black inner, silvers are all silver.

Looks like all silver will be the way I go. Most of the 911s I have seen are all silver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.