Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikey main targa seal installation problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
I finally got around to installing the Mikey main targa seal. Besides the issues mentioned in the included doc. 1. Having to trim chrome. 2. Having to trim roof rubber to match up.
All no big deal, but the top rubber is too long. Has anyone had this problem?
Click to view attachment
Passenger side looks ok
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
But the drivers side has a gap.

Thanks for the help!!
Mikey914
Yes I mistakenly cut a few too long. Drop me your email I'll look up your address and exchange with you on Monday.
Sorry for the mix up.
-mark
Ian Stott
Mines a little bit too long as well, it is interfering with closing the drivers side window properly so water gets in if its raining.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mikey914
I do make these about 1/2" longer than they need to be. This allows for shrinkage over time. They also overcenter slightly. That's why if I make them any longer they don't work. There is some variation on the drivers side trim. For some reason about 1/2 of the cars are slightly longer. About 1/8". I have installation instructions that deal with this if you would like I can send.

They may be helpful.
jim_hoyland
Could a heat gun be used to shrink the seal if it were only a little too long ?
Ian Stott
Could you e-mail me some suggestions/instructions Mike? I think you have my data on file.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mikey914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 18 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Could a heat gun be used to shrink the seal if it were only a little too long ?

It will slighlty, but the rubber I use is pretty stable, that's why it should only be 1/2".
Mikey914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 18 2012, 05:51 PM) *

Could you e-mail me some suggestions/instructions Mike? I think you have my data on file.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Yes it will help. I can get to that this afternoon.
-Mark
Mr Pharmacist
Mark, the seal that i emailed you about a couple of weeks ago looks like the seal in the first picture - I haven't attempted again with the new instructions - i'll try later this week but i'm almost sure mine is also way too long.

thanks
Stuart Bullen
Steve
It's pretty obvious.. Just lay it across the top of the windshield and if it's hanging over the edge by about 3" than it needs to be returned.
Mikey914
Stewart you must have from the same batch. Fortunately I have been doing short runs on these.

At least I was consistent.

I'll PM to send another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.