Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74' 2.0 D-jet cutting out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black914_4
Stock 74 with 2.0. D-jet

I havent had much time to work on the car lately. Fairly nice day today so I through a battery in it and drove it to town. 5-6 miles one way. On the way back it started cutting out. idles fine but won't take any gas. I push the gas pedal and it just cuts outs. pulled over. shut it off and fired it back up. Ran good for about a mile and started to cut out again if I gave it any gas. Shut it off while still rolling about 45, turned it back on and it ran for just a min before starting agin. Made it home... barely

???? Any clue what it might be?

Thanks for the help
JawjaPorsche
Check your fuel filter or pump. Is gas old?
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 18 2012, 05:05 PM) *

Stock 74 with 2.0. D-jet

I havent had much time to work on the car lately. Fairly nice day today so I through a battery in it and drove it to town. 5-6 miles one way. On the way back it started cutting out. idles fine but won't take any gas. I push the gas pedal and it just cuts outs. pulled over. shut it off and fired it back up. Ran good for about a mile and started to cut out again if I gave it any gas. Shut it off while still rolling about 45, turned it back on and it ran for just a min before starting agin. Made it home... barely

???? Any clue what it might be?

Thanks for the help

Black914_4
Just did all new filters and hoses. New plugs. Tested all injectors.

Timing was set by ear so I know its off some. Knob on computer was turned all the way one direction. After all new hoses I turned it back some till idle was kinda close to what I thought was right. First air cooled motor, so I'm still learning.

My thoughts are overheating maybe or computer. Not sure.
JawjaPorsche
How old are your vacuum hoses?
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 18 2012, 06:57 PM) *

Just did all new filters and hoses. New plugs. Tested all injectors.

Timing was set by ear so I know its off some. Knob on computer was turned all the way one direction. After all new hoses I turned it back some till idle was kinda close to what I thought was right. First air cooled motor, so I'm still learnin

My thoughts are overheating maybe or computer. Not sure.

Black914_4
I did all hoses, fuel and Vac

It ran fine all the way to town. And ran ok for a couple mins after I turned it off and restarted it each time.
poorsche914
Junk in the fuel tank? Could be clogging the screen in the tank. After shut down, debris moves around some more. confused24.gif
Black914_4
Don't think it is the tank. I just pulled it not long ago to change out the hoses under it. it was fairly clean inside.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like a kinked hose under the tank.
Prospectfarms
agree.gif

Another, less likely, possibility is the fuel pump. I spent a long time diagnosing a similar issue that was caused by my pump failing at operating temp. As long as the engine was still warming up it pumped, but then would loose all pressure at once at a certain temp. I had to stick a pressure gauge on it and notice the pressure drop right before the engine died. The pump remained running, just no pressure.
Black914_4
I'll check the hoses and put a gauge on my fuel rail first chance I get.
At least those are simple problems that shouldn't be too expensive.
Prospectfarms
I'm sure you'll find the solution very soon. When you do, I'd like to know about it.
76-914
If you pull the cover plate beneath the tank you can see if any hoses are crimped, w/o removing the tank.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 18 2012, 10:22 PM) *
Another, less likely, possibility is the fuel pump. I spent a long time diagnosing a similar issue that was caused by my pump failing at operating temp. As long as the engine was still warming up it pumped, but then would loose all pressure at once at a certain temp. I had to stick a pressure gauge on it and notice the pressure drop right before the engine died. The pump remained running, just no pressure.

Glad you posted this - my car runs great for a while and then starts cutting out and eventually dying. I have checked the hoses for kinks and the fuel filter for clogging (clean as could be). If I let it sit for 5-10 minutes, it will fire right up and I am good for a few more miles. Now I just have to dig up that extra fuel pump I have somewhere or go buy a new late model style pump and convert dry.gif

driving.gif
Black914_4
If you get to your fuel pump before I get to mine let us know it thats the problem.
I'm not sure when I'll have time to work on mine. I don't have a extra pump, but I have lots of gauges that I use for my propane kits.

Is the cover plate for the tank on the front side in the trunk?
hot_shoe914
You can try hooking the fuel pump direct and see if that helps. I have been running my LE that way for 2 1/2 years.
Black914_4
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:03 PM) *

You can try hooking the fuel pump direct and see if that helps. I have been running my LE that way for 2 1/2 years.

Already doing that. biggrin.gif
My pump quit working, so I hooked it up to run all the time whenever the key is on. I was also having a problem with the system not holding pressure after shut down, so I put a check valve in after the pump and before the first rail.
Black914_4
Found it!
Hooked a gauge up to the fuel rail. After abount 5-10 of hard driving the gauge started to lower while at WOT. A few miles later it was down to 10psi while giving it any gas and was getting slower and slower on building pressure back up.

New fuel pump it is...
At least it should only be around $50 for a new pump (i hope)
I'll get a aftermarket one. It's just a fuel pump and not like anyone can see it anyways.

I just need one that runs about 30psi correct?
76-914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 19 2012, 11:58 AM) *

If you get to your fuel pump before I get to mine let us know it thats the problem.
I'm not sure when I'll have time to work on mine. I don't have a extra pump, but I have lots of gauges that I use for my propane kits.

Is the cover plate for the tank on the front side in the trunk?

I see you've nailed it but for future reference; it is on the bottom. 4 bolts. It also covers your inner tie rods on the steering box. BTW, I had this happen once. I now have a gage on both 914's to give me a heads up.
Prospectfarms
I just need one that runs about 30psi correct?

30 psi @ X volume/time. Can't cite the spec it but it's not much. To make sure I looked for one that could be regulated down to 30 psi. Works great, but now it cost more than $27 'cause they are selling more of them: cheap pump thread
To "convert" from three ports to two, eliminate the redundant 2nd return line.
Black914_4
Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.