Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car sometimes dies on deceleration then hard to restart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
So we just fixed a fuel smell issue - bad hoses from the tank were leaking. So after pulling the tank and replacing those hoses, the leak & fumes are gone.

On the test drive - car ran good. But a couple times when coming to a red light, it would die. Restart up just fine & go. But after 15 min, and this happening a few more times, car wouldn't start. It would turn over, but no start - like it was flooded. I could hear the fuel pump running. Fuel pressure still at 35. After waiting 5-10 min, it would start.

Seems like when it dies, it's always when decelerating. Haynes manual mentions a Deceleration Valve. Would this have anything to do wth my problem?

In the engine bay, the fuel regulator is not hooked up to the Deceleration Valve - the end for that hose is plugged.

Along with that, I'm not sure I even have the Deceleration Valve. Is this it it in the middle of the pic - the silver thing with the 3 hoses coming out of it? If so, those hoses are not connected right (according to Vacuum Hose Layout).

IPB Image

Any ideas on what's causing our 914 to die on deceleration?

Car is a 74 1.8 all stock (L-Jetronic).

Thanks!

Chris
markyb
QUOTE(auto_cran @ Mar 18 2012, 07:49 PM) *

So we just fixed a fuel smell issue - bad hoses from the tank were leaking. So after pulling the tank and replacing those hoses, the leak & fumes are gone.

On the test drive - car ran good. But a couple times when coming to a red light, it would die. Restart up just fine & go. But after 15 min, and this happening a few more times, car wouldn't start. It would turn over, but no start - like it was flooded. I could hear the fuel pump running. Fuel pressure still at 35. After waiting 5-10 min, it would start.

Seems like when it dies, it's always when decelerating. Haynes manual mentions a Deceleration Valve. Would this have anything to do wth my problem?

In the engine bay, the fuel regulator is not hooked up to the Deceleration Valve - the end for that hose is plugged.

Along with that, I'm not sure I even have the Deceleration Valve. Is this it it in the middle of the pic - the silver thing with the 3 hoses coming out of it? If so, those hoses are not connected right (according to Vacuum Hose Layout).

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/au...an/DSC01649.jpg

Any ideas on what's causing our 914 to die on deceleration?

Car is a 74 1.8 all stock (L-Jetronic).

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,
check out my post a few below yours' I'm having a different problem'although in my 2nd photo you can see the decel valve on my '75 with L-jet...looks different than yours'maybe does the same thing. I still need to figure out how it works since I have the opposite problem, idle too high when I come to a stop...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=175155

auto_cran
Thanks Mark.

Yeah, mine definitely looks differnt from what your picture (and the Haynes manual) shows.

Chris
TheCabinetmaker
That is a decel valve from a d-jet. Not sure if the L is different, but according to Marky's pic it is. It will not make your car die or even not run. Well, maybe it will on an L-jet. I just not sure how it differs in the L-jet system. Its an emissions valve. It slows the decel to help complete burn. If this didn't happen before you pulled the tank, that is where I would start. Pull the belly pan and look for a kinked line.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.