Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who are the top 5 six engine builders in the country
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
If I decide to convert and buy an engine who should I be talking to? What carborated engine would be best
scotty b
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 18 2012, 06:50 PM) *

If I decide to convert and buy an engine who should I be talking to? What carborated engine would be best

I have a guy down here that is a 30+year Porsche certified mecahnic with all of the " proof " to back it up. 30 years of self employment with a Porsche specialty shop as well as numerous years with porsche dealerships. FWIW Gene is the ONLY guy I will let lay a hand on my cars
scotty b
IMHO a 3.0 SC comverted to carbs is the best bet for both h.p. and longevity. Other engines are great but I feel the 3.0 to be the pinnacle of all worlds
JmuRiz
good to know you have a guy, I'm sure he's priced better than the guys up here in DC.

You're right, a 3.0 with the right cam and carbs on it can be GREAT!
I need to find out if keeping my 2.7 CIS engine stock, cam swap only, or cam and carbs only is the best route to take.

Most of the big-name engine guys I know for 6s are on the West Coast. Putting a feeler out on the PelicanParts 911 engine rebuilding forum may get you some good East Coast names.
mepstein
Bruce Abbott. Flat6pac on Pelican. Lives in NC and many people ship him engines from outside the state. Very well known, very nice guy. Reasonable prices.
Dr Evil
I rebuild my own smile.gif

The people you will hear of, positively, are going to be the most expensive. These are analogous to the Foose, Ness, Shelby type of marketed names. They will do it right and you will be happy. There are others out there, like Scotty's friend Gene that can also do it and do it well. Those tend to cost much less. When I rebuilt my own engine I did A LOT of research and found many of the $$$ items were not necessary and people basically drank the Kool-aid when it came to forking out the money for them. Example; new p/c and hydraulic chain tensioners. Over $3500 right there.

Nathan, I would recommend changing the pistons if you are changing from CIS. The CIS has special pistons and they rob power and are not ideal for carbs. However, I love the CIS and it is pretty bullet proof. Go with SC cams and it wakes up nicely.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 18 2012, 10:50 PM) *

Stay local.

Call mark at autosport engineering in stow Mass.
Call Ktr in Ayer also.

Rich
Matt Romanowski
Best guy in the Northeast is Mark at Exotech - www.exotechpower.com - bar none. Does all of the machine work in house. He's done everything from stock 356 to 3.8 RSR motors making 500+ hp.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:59 PM) *

J-B Racing in Tavares, FL
Click to view attachment

TC, I see you updated to chain chain tensioners... lol-2.gif
gandalf_025
In my younger years, I and a group of others were extremely lucky to have a
local engine builder that was not only extremely good, but was also good to all of us.
I have mentioned him in posts before and here is a picture of him someone here posted a while ago in a different thread.
He was the engine builder for this Racing Team when they were based out of Massachusetts. And unfortunately now retired..

Click to view attachment

He is the guy standing outside the the drivers door with the black hair.
I can't tell you how many times he stood outside the door of my 6 with the same posture and stance.

Things I learned from him..

You don't have to have a Fancy Shop.. {Someone is paying for it}
And you don't have to have an Attitude. {If you are that good, people will know}
You don't SELL people Stuff.. {You talk to them "face to face" and ask what they are trying to achieve"} and provide options..

So, I guess what I'm saying is .. Find someone local and go talk to them in person..
Check out their shop and even talk to some of their customers.. Do a"Reality Check"

Last thing you want is an Attitude when you have questions or issues after paying all the cash..
ellisor3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 19 2012, 01:01 PM) *

Bruce Abbott. Flat6pac on Pelican. Lives in NC and many people ship him engines from outside the state. Very well known, very nice guy. Reasonable prices.

Bruce built my 3.2 through DC Auto. Engine runs great. In todays world building an engine and shipping it is not a big deal. You only have to work on the installation. I would also put in a plug for Joe O'Brien from this board. He does fantastic work.

http://www.914rs.com/
gandalf_025
Shipping an engine is no big deal.. BUT, if by some chance there IS any sort of issue, I'd rather bring the car to the builder with the engine installed and let him hear it. Pulling the engine and shipping it back would be an issue with me.

Yeah,maybe it doesn't happen often..
Things beyond the builders control can sometimes happen... AND I'm the guy it would happen to.
Maybe your luck is better ??

Also, most builders I have dealt over the years want the engine back for the first oil change and valve adjustment.. Included in the build.. just so they know all is well.. guess that is called old fashioned professionalism. Things might be different these days..

Big money spent and maybe a little peace of mind knowing warranty issues get taken care of locally.

But then, maybe I'm the only one that thinks that way ??
wndsnd
All great comments and suggestions. Thankyou. I do not have an engine to rebuild however. I was thhinking along the lines of an outright purchase and possibly install if I stay local.
wndsnd
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 20 2012, 02:01 PM) *

Shipping an engine is no big deal.. BUT, if by some chance there IS any sort of issue, I'd rather bring the car to the builder with the engine installed and let him hear it. Pulling the engine and shipping it back would be an issue with me.

Yeah,maybe it doesn't happen often..
Things beyond the builders control can sometimes happen... AND I'm the guy it would happen to.
Maybe your luck is better ??

Also, most builders I have dealt over the years want the engine back for the first oil change and valve adjustment.. Included in the build.. just so they know all is well.. guess that is called old fashioned professionalism. Things might be different these days..

Big money spent and maybe a little peace of mind knowing warranty issues get taken care of locally.

But then, maybe I'm the only one that thinks that way ??

No good point and I agree with you. Come see my project some time and show me your six. Call me on my cell to let me know your coming and that I will be there and give you my address.

978-270-4554 John
stuttgart46
TC,
Is JB racing Mike Bruns?
IronHillRestorations
Pat Williams in Memphis is awesome.
MoveQik
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 20 2012, 10:27 AM) *

I would also put in a plug for Joe O'Brien from this board. He does fantastic work.

http://www.914rs.com/

agree.gif

Joe did my initial 3.2 conversion and then later rebuilt the top end.
carr914
QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:17 AM) *

TC,
Is JB racing Mike Bruns?

Chad, Yes Mike is the Engine Builder @ JB Racing
stuttgart46
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 21 2012, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(stuttgart46 @ Mar 21 2012, 09:17 AM) *

TC,
Is JB racing Mike Bruns?

Chad, Yes Mike is the Engine Builder @ JB Racing

Then I agree with TC. Mike has skills.
I'm having a real hard time finding someone down here. I may end up bringing the car to Florida to get finished.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.