Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Carrea GT, the ultimate 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Saw a Carrea GT in a body shop yesterday. I'd seen pictures of one before, but after seeing the car yesterday, the pictures do not do the car justice. It was Drop Dead Gougeous.

If you have a weak stomack don't read any further. The owner of the body shop told me the story of the Carrea GT.

Seems the guy that bought the car, went to Pioneer Porsche to pick the car up, the salesman and he took the car for a 15-20 mile drive, on the way back, about 2 blocks from Pioneer, they were at a stop light. A guy talking on his cell phone in his plumbing truck rear ended them at around 30+ mph. $150,000+ in damage, naturally this nub is driving with no insurance. So the cars been repaired, but it's staying at the shop until the repairs are paid for, i.e. lawyers.

I know I'd be sick if I'd just paid $475,000, plus luxury tax, sales tax, etc, and only got to drive it 20 miles.

About a year ago, San Diego Police started a program, road blocks to check Licience, registration, and insurance. I got caught in one, the place was swamming with cops cruisers and bikes. The bikes were going after the cars that tried to do U turns. Tow trucks were busy. I thought it was a great idea, they checked my papers and let me go. Later I heard that the idea had been nixxed. Too many complaints from minority groups that it was profiling or some other crap. Too bad, I'm tired of assholes thinking they can drive just cause they have a car, and drive poorly at that. Licience, we don't need no stinking licience. Better stop this rant now, I could go on and on. ar15.gif
MattR
I agree about the CGT being dead sexy. I saw on at rusnak in a back room... just breathtaking.

I hope this doesnt get political about the checking for insurance, but I agree... I dont want to say too much, or else the FCC... er admins... will throw on the lock biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
That wreck was first reported in this thread.
redshift
Has anyone been down to look for debris?
bob91403
The guy had to have insurance if he payed for the car. If he didn't the dealership is negligent. Obviously, with a car like that, you'd pay a hefty amount, and have full coverage for the value of the car, including uninsured motorist. Even if the plumber had insurance, what would that cover $15,000, or 10%? If the guy has half a mil to buy a car like that the 15k shoudn't be a big deal. If he wasn't fully covered, he's a fool and should take it in the shorts. Makes me want to puke.
redshift
Makes me laugh... but I am a nihlist.

M
bob91403
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 23 2004, 01:02 AM)

M

Yeah, it is kind of funny in a sad way. I'm a dieest. That's kind of like an agnostic. I believe there is some higher power responsible for creation, but it's like he/she/it wound it up like a top and let it spin. Might be watching, but does nothing. That's why "Shit happens".
redshift
You're Hawking crazy.

I am a frisbeeterian, I believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof, and you can't get it down.

M
Mueller
The guy had to have insurance if he payed for the car

the "other" guy didn't have insurance, as in the guy that caused the accident

I got hit years ago by someone with no insurance, I took him to court and the court made him pay my deductible
(I had insurance)...took him awhile @ $50 a month
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 23 2004, 02:30 AM)
You're Hawking crazy.

I am a frisbeeterian, I believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof, and you can't get it down.

M

laugh.gif laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif

played ultimate frisbee last night laugh.gif
balljoint
That doesn't look like too bad a hit. I could fix that.

No welding though right? And I guess it would be hard to hammer out the dents in those body panels soooo, prolly just lotsa Bondo and that puppy is back on the road.

Okay fix car or buy new house, hmmmmmmmmmm.
Mark Henry
In Ontario, Canada driving with no insurance is a $5000 fine.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(DonTraver @ Sep 22 2004, 03:36 PM)

About a year ago, San Diego Police started a program, road blocks to check Licience, registration, and insurance. I got caught in one, the place was swamming with cops cruisers and bikes. The bikes were going after the cars that tried to do U turns. Tow trucks were busy. I thought it was a great idea, they checked my papers and let me go.

Umm... "they checked my papers.."

Did they also make sure you had the "mark" on your forehead as well?
Andy
In Colorado you get a warning with a fine for no insurance, if they pull you again before you prove you have insurance it's a mandatory ten days in the pokey! They're still saying around half the cars on the road have no insurance...

I'd think the plumber would have insurance, they're generally required to be licensed and bonded, and without insurance the first major screw-up would put them out of business (a burst pipe can easily do $500k damage to an office building).

P.S. I think it depends on how he bought the car for if it was insured or not, if he just bought it outright it's his problem, if it was financed I doubt they'd let him take it without proof of insurance. I financed an Eclipse GT a couple years back (another GT, olny 20X cheaper) and Mitsubishi Credit wouldn't let me take it off the lot until the insurance was active - according to them something ridiculous like 15% of sports cars are wrecked on the first day of ownership.
maf914
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 23 2004, 01:30 AM)

I've heard that some do come down in high winds. Sometimes. But they can be hard to find. laugh.gif
carreraguy
You definitely have to have uninsured motorists coverage in CA! I heard that there are over a million drivers in CA without any kind of insurance. Attached is pic of my car after being rear-ended on a local freeway last Wednesday by a driver without insurance , registration or even a CA license. Approximately $11K in damage. I would love to see some random road checks in the SF Bay area for license, registration and insurance!
MattR
QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 23 2004, 01:02 AM)

M

Thats especially funny after watching the Big Lebowski.

Ouch on the Bimmer! I guess thats why we have road rage... because you know the asshole that you had to swerve to miss doesnt carry insurance and if we didnt have race cars to drive we would be outta luck. I saw yesterday some dumb ass truck pulled out into the street and ALMOST hit a C5 corvette. If the driver wasnt totally aware and wasnt driving a corvette, he would have been toast.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 23 2004, 11:09 AM)
I would love to see some random road checks in the SF Bay area for license, registration and insurance!

Maybe we should just set up checkpoints all over the country to make sure everyone is in compliance.

Big Brother is watching.

Make sure that you carry "your papers" with you at all times
Jenny
Papers?!?! We don't need no stinkin' papers!! pissoff.gif

Jen
Jeff Bonanno
anyone want to advance a guess as to why there are so many uninsured autos in CA?

when i moved here and registered my NY vehicle, the DMV didn't ask for any proof of insurance. when i bought a second vehicle and registered that, again no proof needed. when i bought the teener, guess what? no proof needed!

same for inspection in each case (you know, the kind where the check to see ifin it illuminates the road or stops)

oh, but i forgot. they not only wanted, but needed - no, demanded! smog paperwork. dumbass state. no way you get on the road legally registered without insurance in ny.
Joshporsche
For all those comments about the Carrera GT being hit, Just think if some guy without insurance slammed into you when you were driving your 914.

All hell would break loose!!!
carreraguy
Well, I'm not a fan of Big Brother either but if carrying some papers would help ensure better, safer and more responsible drivers on the road, I guess you could call me a Little Brother!

I hope this does not evolve into a discussion of political correctness - don't want to go there!
redshift
If the police would beat people regularly for no reason, things would change for the better... pretty quick.

(if we knew what was good for us)

unsure.gif

shhhh
Meredith
I feel kind of lame. I had to look at the picture of the CGT for a good 30 seconds until I saw where it got hit. I thought it would have been worse. confused24.gif

Mer
Hawktel
I carry uninsured motorist coverage. I hate my fellow man.
wheelo
Drive Defensive !! There is no short-supply of Idiots, (Licensed and Insured), ready to wreck your pride-n-joy! I have driven three decades-worth of miles in Calif. and those of you that live in quietville may not understand. Police are not "overdoing-it" they are out-numbered and out-gunned" here in "metropolis" .... People that don't play by the rules should get "hammered" as they drag-down everyone, while inflating costs....
cool_shades.gif
PS - New GT - seen in person today @ sonnen porsche in mill valley, ca ($435k) you can see @www.sonnen.com click on porsche crest, then GT car, looks good in yellow,red and black!!
smoke.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(Jeff Bonanno @ Sep 23 2004, 12:51 PM)
anyone want to advance a guess as to why there are so many uninsured autos in CA?

when i moved here and registered my NY vehicle, the DMV didn't ask for any proof of insurance. when i bought a second vehicle and registered that, again no proof needed. when i bought the teener, guess what? no proof needed!

same for inspection in each case (you know, the kind where the check to see ifin it illuminates the road or stops)

oh, but i forgot. they not only wanted, but needed - no, demanded! smog paperwork. dumbass state. no way you get on the road legally registered without insurance in ny.

You have to show proof of insurance to get your car registered in California. The problem is with the stinking insurance companies. They allow people to make a down payment and then monthly payments. People go out and make the first payment, get the car registered, then stop paying for the rest of the year. The insurance companies should be required to notify the DMV of nonpayment, and send out notifications to the owner that their registration, and their license, has been revoked for noncompliance until they rectify the situation. They should then be put on probation, and be required to pay for the full year in advance. It is against the law to drive in California without insurance. And yet we are practically forced to buy uninsured motorist coverage just to protect ourselves. Isn't that the same as paying for the other guy's insurance? The state should be responsible for uninsured motorist coverage. It's against the law, and the state is responsible for enforcing it. There should be no such thing as uninsured motorist coverage. The state already regulates the insurance companies, and they still make a ton of money. They should kick them all out and make everyone pay for their state coverage with their registration. The state makes money, insurance rates are kept fair, everybody is covered, it's a win win.
wheelo
Wrong ....
Less Government = More !!
Win-Win ... Is when people act RESPONSIBLY towards others in the community!!
State & Fed Gov. is already BLOATED and ineffective...
If they want to do something about smog, why-not send-home 1/3rd of the millions of people that : LIVE, WORK, DRIVE, PLAY, here ... ILLEGALLY !! I am sure that would put a serious dent in the smog generation !!
But....noooooo ! we get assembly bill XYZ .... and $50 x zillions of cars = another cash cow for Sacramento!!
Don't be fooled.... we can do better !
cool_shades.gif

PS - How Bout that GT ?? would look great in my garage!
phantom914
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 23 2004, 11:46 PM)

when i moved here and registered my NY vehicle, the DMV didn't ask for any proof of insurance.  when i bought a second vehicle and registered that, again no proof needed.  when i bought the teener,  guess what?  no proof needed!

oh, but i forgot.  they not only wanted, but needed - no, demanded! smog paperwork.  dumbass state.  no way you get on the road legally registered without insurance in ny.

You have to show proof of insurance to get your car registered in California. ......................

I live in CA. I bought my 914 two months ago. I registered it and didn't have to show proof of insurance. Stoopid ain't it?

Andrew
morph
no way you get on the road legally registered without insurance in ny.

same in oregon.but in washington when i lived there it was the same way they didnt care if you had insurance or not as long as you had the cash and reg.
blaize
I am A P-Tech and I was in Reno early this month at the training facility for a course on 997 intro. In the class with me were the svc. manager for the dealer that that GT is from and the tech that was in the Pass. seat whet it got hit.

They told me it was a little over 130k for the repair. the rear bumper cap alone is around 16k. It's plastic, just like a civic, but of course it fits a GT so 16k. They had to get a couple of engineers from the fatherland to come over and x-ray the tub for cracks (of wich there were none) and of course the tailight and that center panel. I think they said the exhaust was bent too.

At any rate I meant to post all this when I got back as I remember the old thread but I forgot until I saw this one. so there it is. that tap would have cost 1500 or so on a civic perhaps 3500 on a boxter and 130,000+ on the GT.

I was in atlanta at the other facility last week and in the next room they were doing the GT class. I stuck my head in a few times as they took it all apart. coolest thing I have ever seen. after they had it back together they were buzzing it around the parking lot, it is FAST. exhaust note is damn near f1. Really wish I was loaded. Its much prettier in person too. I have always thought the photos were ugly, but in the flesh not so. very good looking.
bob91403
QUOTE(phantom914 @ Sep 24 2004, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 23 2004, 11:46 PM)

when i moved here and registered my NY vehicle, the DMV didn't ask for any proof of insurance.  when i bought a second vehicle and registered that, again no proof needed.  when i bought the teener,  guess what?  no proof needed!

oh, but i forgot.  they not only wanted, but needed - no, demanded! smog paperwork.  dumbass state.  no way you get on the road legally registered without insurance in ny.

You have to show proof of insurance to get your car registered in California. ......................

I live in CA. I bought my 914 two months ago. I registered it and didn't have to show proof of insurance. Stoopid ain't it?

Andrew

Maybe your insurance company already filed the information with the DMV. The smog shops do that as well. If you got it registered without insurance, you're just another asshole breaking the law, but I doubt it. This is the DMV web pageVehicle Registration-California
bob91403
Cold not directlink to the page. It is http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/motor-veh...egistration.php
bob91403
Click on insurance, then insurance requirements
bob91403
You did show proof of insurance. Your insurance company sent the information to the DMV for you. Same thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.