Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok, I am assembling a tranz tool kit for rental. What should I charge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
As soon as the last tools arrive I will be able to rent out a tool kit for the homer to work on their own transmission. Tools include:
- Dog teeth puller/installer
- Alignment jig
- EvilWerks tool to hold stack for large bolt and nut removal (no air tools needed)
- Beveled 14mm socket
- Triple square
- Large pin pliers
- Maybe some drifts and punches smile.gif

I may include more, I am making a list off of the top of my head.

I dont want to make a bunch of cash on this, I am more interested in it being available for people to use. My question is, on top of the $20 rental fee, should I include a deposit? For most of you that I know, a deposit would not be needed. If I lost any of these tools, I would be out more than $20, for sure.
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif Shouldn't this be in the Classified section? This is an outrage!! Where the hell are all the dim-witted admins. I DEMAND this thread be moved. If it isn't I DEMAND an explanation. This is absolute bs.gif . Especially when you consider all the dues I pay to keep this website going. What? No? Oh.
NEVER MIND bye1.gif
biosurfer1
Just charge a deposit of what it would cost you to replace the tools. Then the user gets it back once they are returned in good condition.
scotty b
Hey since Mike brought this up, I'm thinking aboot assembling a body repair kit available for rent. what do you guys think I should charge for it, and should I take a deposit before shipping ? I really don't trust any of you but I want you to be able to do this yourself.

Nah never mind, I don't think I want to offer this up after all

Well, if you are interested let me know

thanks bye1.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2012, 01:49 PM) *

As soon as the last tools arrive I will be able to rent out a tool kit for the homer to work on their own transmission. Tools include:
- Dog teeth puller/installer
- Alignment jig
- EvilWerks tool to hold stack for large bolt and nut removal (no air tools needed)
- Beveled 14mm socket
- Triple square
- Large pin pliers
- Maybe some drifts and punches smile.gif

I may include more, I am making a list off of the top of my head.

I dont want to make a bunch of cash on this, I am more interested in it being available for people to use. My question is, on top of the $20 rental fee, should I include a deposit? For most of you that I know, a deposit would not be needed. If I lost any of these tools, I would be out more than $20, for sure.

Hum.. How much to buy the kit?

-- brett
Dr Evil
I am not selling kits, but you can buy the special tool from me, and assemble the rest yourself.

The rest of you asshats, piss off! av-943.gif
76-914
Good luck, Mike. I hope you don't end up with the big wazoo in your keister. Tools are like wives. Take care of them and don't loan 'em out.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2012, 05:06 PM) *

I am not selling kits, but you can buy the special tool from me, and assemble the rest yourself.

So what tools are in the rental package? I starting 2 rebuilds tomorrow. Got you video and instructions. I'm ready to dive in.
bfrymire
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2012, 05:06 PM) *

Do you have a link to what you sell? And how much. Pm is fine. I am interested in the alignment tool.

--brett

JeffBowlsby
The deal is...buy the parts from you and the tool usage is *free* (with a refundable deposit).
shoguneagle
I agree with Jeff's comment. Tool usage a deposit and fee if the parts are purchased from you.

My two bits worth.

Steve Hurt
Dr Evil
The problem with a deposit is that it will be pretty high and kind of punitive to the person doing the renting. I am trying to make this available to everyone and easy.

I agree, if you buy parts off of me the rental is free with deposit of some amount to be determined.
JRust
I really think you should have some incentive for folks who have been to multiple clinics. Say anyone who as built 4 or more boxes at your clinics get one for free confused24.gif

So back to your kit. I think it is a good idea. I for one know it would come in handy. It would have been much handier when I built my 2 boxes at each clinic I went to. If I would have had all the tools without waiting for other folks using them also. Hey wait a second 2 boxes built at each clinic. I went to 2 clinics idea.gif
chrispy
I think what would be fair would be to sell them to interested customers for a price that you can live with. Then, if they return them in 30 days, refund the rental fee difference. Our local FLAPS does it this way. This is how I justify increasing my collection of speciality tools (I never return anything).
Chris
Dr Evil
I am thinking that I will have to go based on a familiarity basis confused24.gif If I know you, or you have been a member in good standing then no need for a deposit. If I dont know you then I will require a deposit. Seem fair?
Dr Evil
Something else to consider, my reach and influence is vast happy11.gif I have people in all parts of the country that are willing to retrieve my tools should a problem arise biggrin.gif Just saying.....
IronHillRestorations
You need to charge a deposit equal to your replacement cost of the tools, for obvious reasons. If some guy falls off the map with your tools, you shouldn't be out of pocket.

The other issue would be damage. I've loaned tools before and got them back in less functional condition, so wear and tear is also something to consider.

Establish a reasonable policy, then amend it as you see fit on a case by case basis.

Just cause a guy seems nice and responsive at his keyboard, doesn't mean you'll get your stuff back. 95% of the guys here will bend over backwards to help someone out (I did say BACKWARDS Scotty), but one knucklehead could cost you.
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 19 2012, 07:29 PM) *

Hey since Mike brought this up, I'm thinking aboot assembling a body repair kit available for rent. what do you guys think I should charge for it, and should I take a deposit before shipping ? I really don't trust any of you but I want you to be able to do this yourself.
Nah never mind, I don't think I want to offer this up after all
Well, if you are interested let me know

thanks bye1.gif

Scotty, does your kit include a compressor? What aboot a spray booth?
Aaron Cox
TranZ ToolZ?

Is a free Mike Z included in every kit?
(i wish!)
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 20 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Something else to consider, my reach and influence is vast happy11.gif I have people in all parts of the country that are willing to retrieve my tools should a problem arise biggrin.gif Just saying.....

Dr Evil has evil minions. happy11.gif
FourBlades

The rental toolkit would be very helpful to the guy who just wants to redo the transmission in their restoration project and would rarely ever do it again.

I think there are a lot of people on here who fit that description.

I think you have to charge enough that it motivates the renter to return the kit and not just sit on it for months.

John
JRust
Damn I'm losing my touch. My joke didn't even get a response dry.gif . Guess I needed to have a tranny joke mixed in with it blink.gif

Oh yeah the tool rental idea is a good one. I can see getting them returned being a problem. Or you'd get them sent to someone who wouldn't get to the rebuild for 4 months. That is after getting your rental tools of course poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.