Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hella "rear rain light"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Any one run one? Is there a "proper" location on rear bumper?

I really don't want to put 3rd brake light on, I think this was a dealer option.
tiim5
I think these were 'rear fog lights', usually installed on the drivers side on 911s just below the bumper, very popular in Europe. I have one I am thinking if installing as well. I might have it come on with the foglites and possible use it as a third brake lite. would need to change the bulb holder.
qa1142
I was just going to wire it to come on with the brakes

idea.gif
qa1142
Check this out, ~ 1/2 price of preformance products

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/backup.asp

$43

21 watt
SirAndy
rear fog light
not intended to run with the brakes!

ever wondered what that last stamped hole in your dash subframe is for that no one ever uses?
you got that right!
it's supposed to be switched. and yes, it's a europe thing. you have to have one.
and you can only use it if visibility is under 50 meters. and only in foggy weather, not rain.
and it's supposed to be *much* brighter than brake lights. (which is why you shouldn't run it with your brakes, it'll blind people in normal weather).

wink.gif Andy
qa1142
Sweet, They were too close anyway

:finger2:
qa1142
anyone have a picture of "proper" mounting?
aircooledboy
Bad news Whip. I wasn't going to say anything, until I saw you were from Illinois. I don't know about other states, but it is illegal in Illinois to have a rear facing white light that operates while the vehicle is in motion. sad.gif

(I'm an attorney here in Illinois, and I do traffic and criminal law 10 hours a day. ) givemebeer.gif
Joe Ricard
My wife's Mini Cooper has front fog lights and when switched on also increase the intensity of the tail lights. Still red but considerably brighter.
seanery
Chris scroll down to 81101
SirAndy
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Sep 22 2004, 07:14 PM)
but it is illegal in Illinois to have a rear facing white light that operates while the vehicle is in motion.

the rear fog lights are red.

wavey.gif Andy
aircooledboy
huh. . . .. ? me?
aircooledboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 22 2004, 08:29 PM)
but it is illegal in Illinois to have a rear facing white light that operates while the vehicle is in motion.

the rear fog lights are red.

Nevermind laugh.gif
qa1142
Yep,
Rear red "fog" lights

Red like your face.

I did have a "79 Westfalia with a extra single 55 watt back up light, never hit any poles in reverse! smoke.gif
tod914
Out of curiosity, does any one have a picture on how/where they are mounted? Attached to the bumper I pressume?
tod914
Performance Products version is $89.95 v $37.46. Difference I see is, the $37 version has a chrome base.
GaroldShaffer
In the book Porsche 914 caught by camera on page 17 there is a B&W photo of a car with this. I will scan the pic for you.
tod914
Ok cool. I see in my rear trunk that there are extra unconnected wires by the driver's rear taillight lense. I guess that's for the fogs, aye?
GaroldShaffer
The picture
tod914
The Euro's get all the cool stuff, extra h.p., no side markers, headlight washers, better looking badge on rear, and a rear fog. wink.gif Did first aid kits also come with the 914s in europe? My corrado had an area in between the back seats for one. But, that was 1990.
East coaster
Here's a pic of my old car with the "fog" light. It was a true euro car.
tod914
Beautiful car there EC. How long ago was it sold and where did it end up? Do you recall how the fog light was mounted? I noticed it has side markers on the front fender. Was that added?
aircooledboy
Well, looks like this bad boy could still get you hassled in Illinois unless you wired it as a brake light. I was sitting with my thumb up my ass waiting to get a case called in court this morning lol2.gif , and I read through the lighting section of the vehicle code. 625 ILCS 5/12-212 says you can't have any lights on your passenger car that are not expressly authorized by the code. In reading the whole lighting section, I don't see anything that could be read as authorizing a seperate brighter red tail light like this. But, if it was wired to come on with the brakes, that would be expressly authorized as a part of the requirement of " a stop lamp or lamps", and unlike the tail light requirements, it expressly "need not be incorporated with other rear lamps."

Nobody wants to give the police an excuse to stop them if they can help it. Use this info as you see fit. beerchug.gif
sgomes
Kalifornia must be different. We have tons of ricers around here with more lights than dance club. wacko.gif
BMartin914
Has anyone ever installed one of these lights on their non-euro car? How difficult was the procedure. Drilling involved? I would imagine so.

I've noticed an extra pigtail in the trunk coming off the wiring harness. Is this meant for the rear fog light. Is there open wiring behind the dash for another switch?

I don't think it would be a bad idea considering 70% of drivers around here can't even see me in their HUGE SUVs.

Any insight would be helpful.
mike_the_man
My '94 S4 has a rear fog light. I've never used it before in fog, but I like to play with it at stop lights. I remember a 914 in Excellence a year or so ago that had one. I thought it was mounted on the back bumper. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Pnambic
My father-in-law gave me a spot light last week that is 1,000,000 candlelight power. (That means REALLY bright!) The scary part is it has a cigarette lighter adapter. So next time that dic in the SUV with headlights above my trunk and the brights on rides up on my ass, we'll see how he likes being blinded...hahaha

Actually, it would be my luck that I'd temporarily blind him and he'd drive right over me... <_<
Maybe I won't keep that in the car.
bob91403
Bad news Whip. I wasn't going to say anything, until I saw you were from Illinois. I don't know about other states, but it is illegal in Illinois to have a rear facing white light that operates while the vehicle is in motion.  :(

(I'm an attorney here in Illinois, and I do traffic and criminal law 10 hours a day. ) givemebeer.gif

I'm sure you meant to say FORWARD motion. What do you think backup lights are? Lawyers. bootyshake.gif Oh, and it's mounted opposite the emblems. Definitly put it on a switch, and only use it in the fog.
Scott S
They have been standard equipment on all Audis since at least 1990. Others have them as well - I want to say our old VR6 jetta had one too - cant remember....

I would guess if you were pulled over you could argue that it is an upgrade seen on many cars.

I recently replaced the cargo light bulbs in my chevy truck with red bulbs for this exact purpose. I ski a ton, and want the additional visibility.

I have never seen them attached like the orange car. The Hella verson was not as flush - it had a bracket and was the exact same lamp as used on the 911. I have seen many 911's with them.
bob91403
That's the difference. The bracket models are for 911. The 914 model was mounted as on the orange car. Euro only, I believe.
nyum96
I added mine to both my cars. I dont have a picture of the 914 but my beetle has a factory one. i love them and its another item I will have on all my cars. I noticed a difference in longer car lengths behind me in downpour rains.

With the 914, I dont drive it too often in this type of rainy weather but when I get "stuck" in it, I turn it on anyways because the car is so small and can be hard to see at times.

Rear fogs have to be legal since the dealerships in the US have them, right? That was what I was told on the VW board.

If police want to pull me over during hurricane season, they can have fun while I stay dry. I actually had the police over the other night for car vandilism and they didnt say a work about the light.

BB
Reiche
The Hella verson was not as flush - it had a bracket and was the exact same lamp as used on the 911. I have seen many 911's with them.

That's what I used! I installed a rear fog light on my friend's 914. I used a stock 911 rear fog light off a gray-market car. It installed perfectly in the same position that it had been on the 911: rear valence just outboard of the exhaust. (or was it inboard?)
ever wondered what that last stamped hole in your dash subframe is for that no one ever uses?

I put a spare fog light switch in the extra dash hole, and wired it so it would only come on when the front fogs were on. The front fog switch uses a yellow insert and the rear uses a green one so there's no confusion. I even used good wires from a burnt wiring harness. Looks and works like factory.

I also installed one in the factory postion on my MB 240D. I definitely like the extra room people give you when they can see you better. Comes in handy here in the wet NW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.