Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it necessary to check end play when changing flywheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I set my end play to .003 on my rebuild. Before installing the engine, I decided to change to a lighter flywheel. Do I need to check end play again? I know it isn't a huge deal to check end play but I just found that my dial indicator is busted.
mrbubblehead
absolutely necessary!
tornik550
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 19 2012, 09:40 PM) *

absolutely necessary!

Damn- thats what I was expecting.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 19 2012, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 19 2012, 09:40 PM) *

absolutely necessary!

Damn- thats what I was expecting.

do you know how to do it with feeler gauges? its not ideal but will work in a pinch...
tornik550
I just tried to check end play with the new flywheel (I found an old dial indicator). With the new flywheel, I am getting zero movement. Looks like I need to change the shims. Do I have to remove the rear main seal to remove the shims? (I don't want to go back outside tonight so I figured I would just ask)
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 19 2012, 06:55 PM) *

I just tried to check end play with the new flywheel. With the new flywheel, I am getting zero movement. Looks like I need to change the shims. Do I have to remove the rear main seal to remove the shims? (I don't want to go back outside tonight so I figured I would just ask)

unfortunately yes, the seal has to come out to get to the shims. and remember, you need 3 shims. no more no less.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 19 2012, 06:57 PM) *

remember, you need 3 shims. no more no less.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Yes the VW manuals say "3", but it's not that important that you have 3. I've used 2 in certain circumstances when the trust surface on the flywheel has been trued where 3 won't fit with absolutely no issues. Porsche 356/912 motors only require 2. . .

The more shims you have, the less wear on the bearing so it's best to have 3, but 2 will do as long as the clearance is .003-.005".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.