Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT eBay Spoof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
This looked pretty real to me. Open it and it reads your eBay info. Be careful.
ArtechnikA
yet another reason why HTML mail is evil. if you look at the 'real' plaintext message, it's just nonsense phrases.

the other big tipoff is that the 'real' URL link (visible in the status bar of most browsers when you hover the cursor over the link...) is NOT what the visible text says it is.

i turn off HTML email display, so i don't even see 99% of this crap ...
skline
I dont have any information saved on my computer so I always open it and put in F*%^you as a username and eatsh*T as a password. Then I forward it to spoof@ebay.com and never worry about it. I get those all the time. What a joke.
morph
I get spoof e-mails from several people weekly. Some trying to get info from e-bay, pay pal, or other accounts that I have. There is also the Nigerian "your relatives died in a car accident" schemes that I get weekly or so (An older lady that I work with did, and she lost her entire retirement). I forward them to the appropriate people or delete them and wonder who fell for this. I feel really sorry for those who have.

Hiedi
914ghost
I got no les than 6 counterfeit checks from Nigerian / South African scammers when I was trying to sell a VW convertible for a friend last month.
One guy sent me ANOTHER after I told him the 1st was fake and I gave it to the FBI!!
Said there was a mistake and sent off another!!
At least we're getting smarter.

-Bob O
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2004, 06:05 AM)
HTML mail is evil.

agree.gif

plain text only for me. always ...
wink.gif Andy
Brando
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2004, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2004, 06:05 AM)
HTML mail is evil.

agree.gif

plain text only for me. always ...

roger that ^
d7n7master
& I just inherited 17 million $$$!!! All I have to do is send them $1700.- for legal processing monkeydance.gif
bob91403
"There's nothing wrong with someone trying to take advantage of you, there is something wrong if you let them." Tons of scams out there, be cautious. Never send a check or M.O. to a P.O. Box. Always use a credit card. If the deal goes south, your credit card company will get your money back for you. I ordered a 55" wide screen tv. After it was delivered I opened the box and some moron had set a pallet down on top of it with a forklift, small crack in the top edge of the case and a broken mirror. I called the store, they said to call the shipper. The shipper sent out an independent appraiser who said it was obvious from the marks on the box, and the fact that I don't own a forklift, that it was damaged by the shipper. The shipper said I signed for it without noting the damage. Like I had x-ray vision or something. The store refused to do anything. My credit card company denied payment. The store turned it over to, and refused to pay their supplier who had shipped it to me. The thing sat in my kitchen for six months, taking up a lot of room, collecting dust, waiting for someone to pick it up. The supplier finally contacted me about a month after the shipping company went belly up. He said he wanted to have their tv picked up. I asked him for a storage fee based on the space it took up in my house proportional to my rent, or I'd put a lein on it. He said, "I'll have to get back to you." Six more months went by, nothing. So, I took the back off, bought a new mirror for $150, put it in, and it's perfect. Not bad, I got a $2400 tv for $150. Credit card companies rock. The only way to protect yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.