Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deja vu All Over Again - Middies to be built at Karmann
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Just read this, about VW - now owner of the Karmann plant where all /4 & -6 914 bodies were built & 914/4s completed - will be providing Porsche AG with overflow production capacity of the Boxster! huh.gif

I just just hear it now: "Well if your Boxster was built by VW at the old Karmann plant in Osnabrueck ..... then it's not a real Porsche, but a VW!!!" bootyshake.gif

http://wardsauto.com/plants-amp-production...cars-osnabrueck
1973-914-2L
as they say .. tradition is tradition ... wonder if they will brand them VW for the European market also ... don't forget that the first Porsche's built had more VW DNA than Porsche ...
Woody
Weren't quite a few 356s and some early 911s were built at the karmann plant?
shuie
My 356 was built at the Karmann facility.
kconway
Tom, I'm sure you've read that VW is working to buy the other 50.1% stake in Porsche this year so it will be a moot point eventually.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-27/v...sche-stake.html
johannes
Some 912 and 911 were built at the Karmann Factory

Dion
Karmann built many autos for various manufacturers.
Including Mercedes,BMW 3.0,Chrysler and also some
Javelins, many others. Visit the site they have a neat list.

Dion
Tom_T
Yes Kevin - I was aware, as well as being aware that it happened because Porsche tried to pretend they were a python and swallow a whole cow, then it blew up in their face - financially speaking that is.

Yes, actually Karmann was a highly respected coachworks dating back from the early part of last century, and produced bodies/coachwork for most, if not all, of the major automakers at one time or another - those here today & others who have passed into oblivion.....or bankruptcy & closure anyway!

IT was really a shame to see Karmann itself fold in 2009! sad.gif

I just find it hypocritical that insanely Porschephile types did & still do get so down on our 914s, when their vaunted 356s were initally warmed over 1.0L VWs with a nicer body (many by Karmann) & even started as a mid-engine prototype (356-01).

Heck, even the 924/944/968 line was a project designed by Porsche for VW with an Audi/VW inline watercooled 4, then VW abandoned it & Porsche took it over for production. Sounds awfully similar to the Porsche designed 914-6 & 914/4 for the VW-Porsche JV, which Porsche bought out in 74 when VW abandoned it! The only difference was that Porsche didn't rebadge the Euro/RoW 914/4s as just a Porsche, as they did when they took over the 924, & bag the VW-Porsche badging! dry.gif

Their only mistake was confused badging & branding of the 914, cuz we all know it's an excellent sports car! biggrin.gif

"Badges!! ....... We don't need no stinking BADGES!!!!" laugh.gif

And then since the 1990's Porsche's bacon has basically been saved by other less demeaned VW-Porsche joint ventures - particularly the Cayenne/Taurig twins & their upcoming Cajun-Macun shared with the VW/Audi crossover SUV! dry.gif

Geez I wish they'd stuck with Cajun on the latter.....I mean really Macun - which is supposed to be pronounced Mah-chun or something!!?? blink.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Mar 20 2012, 07:26 PM) *

as they say .. tradition is tradition ... wonder if they will brand them VW for the European market also ... don't forget that the first Porsche's built had more VW DNA than Porsche ...

lol-2.gif agree.gif .... my sarcastic point exactly!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 21 2012, 11:20 AM) *

Karmann built many autos for various manufacturers.
Including Mercedes,BMW 3.0,Chrysler and also some
Javelins, many others. Visit the site they have a neat list.

Dion

BMW 3.0 CSi was what I always lusted for in a sports coupe, and tried to find one in May 85 wehn my newly rolling restored 73 914-2.0 was whacked & I needed a new DD quick. drooley.gif wub.gif

Alas, I couldn't find a good one in a reasonable time, sad.gif
... and ended up getting the then new to the USA small BMW 6-Coupe - the 1985 325e which I still own & use as my DD (179k & a clean bill of health, but needing some cosmetic work now), which I still love! wub.gif

Heck, a couple of weeks ago I was coming back from San Diego/Vista on I-5 in my E30 325e 2dr. Coupe & cruising at 75-ish with the AC & cruise control on & getting 32.4 mpg on those hills - well mesas & valleys to be technical! smile.gif

So for "grits & shins" when I got to the "flatlands of OC" around El Toro Road, I turned off the AC & dropped it to 65 on the cruise control to see what this 27 year old BMW would get, and ............................... 42.1 MPG!!!!! blink.gif

No hyper-miling, no funny mods nor chip magic - that's freeway cruising in a dead stock 325e 2.7L motor, 5 spd manual in 5th (5th is 0.81 overdrive), stock tires & allow wheels, using the onboard trip computer's MPG function & confirming with the dash pod Tach's OE instantaneous MPG meter readings! One time hyper-miling due to an: "ooops....there's no more gas stops for 200 miles...." error on my part, I had it up to 50.5 mpg, but that involved a lot of downhill coasting! smile.gif

In the late 1970's BMW made that I-6 "eta" motor (in the 528e & 325e) to be hyper fuel efficient, with only 5 super low rolling resistance mains & other bearings & journals to produce good power & torque (for the day), while producing excellent gas mileage in town and highway - as a reaction to the 1970's [supposed] oil crises.

IMHO they did a superb job! first.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 21 2012, 05:07 AM) *

Some 912 and 911 were built at the Karmann Factory

Oh!!! ... & not to mention the Karmann Ghia! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.