Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Fuel Facts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Just called our local VP Racing Gas dealer down here. Going to be cranking the motor soon so have to get some fuel (110 leaded)

They sell it in smaller drums, 30 gal. Think I'll be getting that one because 2 guys can handle it.

They told me a few things I didn't know.

1.) Always heard race gas goes bad really quick but he said that is a myth. If stored in a sealed drum or container out of the sun, can last at least 1 year with no varnishing. Once it is in the cel that time decreases by 1/2 because of the venting of the cel.

2.) Many vintage racers and collectors use race gas because it does not tend to varnish or gum up like pump gas.

3.) Specific gravity is lower which makes it less viscous than pump gas. I was told that it was the other way around but this guy sounds like he know gas, doing it for 20 years.

4.) The leaded gas is colored purple. If the color starts to diminish or leave altogether, than the gas has been exposed to sun or humidity too long and has lost octane.

cool stuff I think, smells better too. idea.gif
john rogers
I was curious as to why you are going to use 110? I use 100 unleaded in my race car and it has about 10:1 compression and we have had no issues with detonation and such. At some of the Mexican races we get VP 110 and it tends to burn slower and I get some backfiring with it when letting off the gas from full throttle but do not with the 100 octane. I also noted it buggers up the O2 sensor too. Good luck
machina
QUOTE(john rogers @ Sep 23 2004, 05:43 PM)
I was curious as to why you are going to use 110

Jake setup and dynod the motor with 110, his recommendation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.