Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rough idling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Engine starts right up with a little hesitation, If I pull the injector lead on # 2 and 3 there is no change in idling as if they are not doing anything.
I know that is not normal, I may need a fine tune. Where do i start?

Djet 2.0 L

Timing is set @ 27 btdc
dwell is also set at 47
rmital
trigger points might need adjustment.......

TheCabinetmaker
Check the plug on the distributor for the trigger points.
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Mar 21 2012, 09:24 AM) *

Ray, the points are set to .16 and the digital meeter shows the dwell is between 46.5 and 48. Am I missing something?
rmital
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 21 2012, 09:34 AM) *

Ray, the points are set to .16 and the digital meeter shows the dwell is between 46.5 and 48. Am I missing something?

yes...your a carb guy. The trigger points are the things plugged into or near the bottom of the distributor. They have to be centered properly to function.

I would only say this because typically if you have a problem with cylinders 1&2, it could be grounds. If diagonally 1&4 or 2&3 it's could be misaligned or bad trigger points.

...I'll see if I could dig up a picture...or a search will probably do fine...."trigger points adjustment".
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Mar 21 2012, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 21 2012, 09:34 AM) *

yes...your a carb guy. The trigger points are the things plugged into or near the bottom of the distributor. They have to be centered properly to function.

I would only say this because typically if you have a problem with cylinders 1&2, it could be grounds. If diagonally 1&4 or 2&3 it's could be misaligned or bad trigger points.

...I'll see if I could dig up a picture...or a search will probably do fine...."trigger points adjustment".
Is there a difference between adjusting points gap and trigger points?  I still have a lot to learn. 
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. The fuel injection trigger points are in the bottom of the distributor. You have to pull the dizzy to get to them.
rmital
....I tried a few searches....can't find a thread on how to adjust trigger points.
they basically need to be centered within their home on the dizzy.

I'll check the pelican site to see if they got an article
914itis
I searched for trigger point settings and came up with this " http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=trigger+points "

"Just run them anyway they fit Tod. There is some minor play, but it is not significant...unless you have slotted the holes and been listening to Ray Greenwood... biggrin.gif They are not designed to be adjusted, simply an on-off switch."
rmital
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 21 2012, 12:32 PM) *

I searched for trigger point settings and came up with this " http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=trigger+points "

"Just run them anyway they fit Tod. There is some minor play, but it is not significant...unless you have slotted the holes and been listening to Ray Greenwood... biggrin.gif They are not designed to be adjusted, simply an on-off switch."

ok...set and forget...first time I heard that....
so, what Curt said, maybe the connection is bad??
914itis
Can I look to see of the trigger points are installed properly without removing the dz then remove if adjustment is needed? 

Ray, do you remember of Rory sets them when we were testing the engine? He mounted the dz 
rmital
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 21 2012, 01:35 PM) *

Can I look to see of the trigger points are installed properly without removing the dz then remove if adjustment is needed? 

Ray, do you remember of Rory sets them when we were testing the engine? He mounted the dz 

I'm sure he didn't touch the trigger points....but check the plug connected to them. That might be suspect?

pretty sure you can't really tell their integrity without removing dz.
914itis
It looks like I will be pulling the dz, I check the connectors and it is nice and tight, no crack on the wires, almost perfect.

I tested it again, when I pull the spark plug wires, no effect, if I pull the injector leads, the idle slightly goes up and back down.

I need the instructions to line it up correctly. anyone?
TheCabinetmaker
Do you have a multi meter? If so, set it to check continuity. Remove the plug at the distributor, place either lead to the center pin on the plug on the distributor, (not the plug on the harness) and the other lead to one of the outer pins. Have someone crank the engine and watch for a reading on the meter. It should alternate off and on. Then move the lead to the other outer pin and check again. Continuity on both yes? trigger points are good. No? pull the diz and the injector points and clean eveything good. Relube and reassemble, then check it again. This time you can do it on the bench and turn the diz by hand. Hope this helps.
914itis
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 21 2012, 04:07 PM) *

Do you have a multi meter? If so, set it to check continuity. Remove the plug at the distributor, place either lead to the center pin on the plug on the distributor, (not the plug on the harness) and the other lead to one of the outer pins. Have someone crank the engine and watch for a reading on the meter. It should alternate off and on. Then move the lead to the other outer pin and check again. Continuity on both yes? trigger points are good. No? pull the diz and the injector points and clean eveything good. Relube and reassemble, then check it again. This time you can do it on the bench and turn the diz by hand. Hope this helps.

ok, how do i make sure that it is cantered when reassebled?
TheCabinetmaker
It only moves side to side about 5mm. Just set it in the center of its movement.
914itis
Thanks, will post results
914itis
You guys nailed it again. I tested the trigger points as Curt suggested and one side was not consistent. It lights up weak unlike the other side, pulled the diz out and found a lot of craps. I cleaned it, lubed it and I am running smooth. I have a small hesitation on the rpm going up and down, but hardly noticeable. It maybe one of the injectors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.