Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh s#@$! what have I done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Need help, may have f'd up. Took the car out for another run today. All country roads mainly 3rd and 4th gear stuff. Taking it easy as its been along time. But everything was peachy

Did that for about 30 miles or so when I finally got on the highway and get into 5th. I think I smell rubber burning for a few minutes then my speedo quits. hmmm.

Pull over (almost home) and there is a nice puddle of gear oil forming on the ground coming from the back near the speedo drive. But with the engine off, it quickly stops. I had heard of this before and assumed my drive was shot.

Back in the car, hmm can get into reverse and 1st grinds a little. With some difficulty I get home (2nd through 5th continue to work fine, but 1st grinds some). I am think that I probably just need to re-adjust the linkage.

But I get home, crawl under the car and find this. What the f???
jr91472
As you can hopefully see, the muffle bracket is now bent due to the rod pushing against it. I assure you that i did not bend the bracket while mounting it.

Did I use the wrong bracket? It was the original that came with my 72 tailshifter. But all wholes lined up perfectly. Not sure what year my new side shifter is....

I think I am going to be sick barf.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The pinion shaft stretch bolt backed out, either from lack of proper torqueing or a fracture. You'll need a cover, a new bolt, maybe a pinion bearing (and a mainshaft bearing, too, as it's likely to come apart when you replace the pinion bearing), and a gasket set. Maybe a speedo drive, too. There may be other things you need to replace while you're in there ................................ The Cap'n
bondo
Wait a second.. that's not the speedo drive gear sticking THROUGH the tail cover.. is it? That is NOT supposed to happen.. looks like maybe the 30 mm bolt came loose, and worked its way out and drilled the speedo drive right through the cover. Fortunatley that would only generate brass and magnesium grit, which probably won't eat up the rest of your trans, but you'll need at least a new speedo drive and tail cover. (and a good trans flushing)
fiid
Dude. That totally sucks. I think I am going to locktite that bolt in having seen your pictures. I think the diagnosis is clear.

I am wondering if you can run the tailshift cover with the hole blocked off to save yourself having to find another sideshift cover....???
bondo
I have a ton of transmsission parts including the bolt and the sideshift cover.. get things apart, figure out what all you need, and I'll make you a deal.
Demick
I know 2 people who this has happened to. One of them I had personally torqued the 30mm bolt to specs. I have no idea why it came loose.

On one, the tranny was fine - just fix the problem as was suggested above.

On the other one the ring and pinion gears broke so the tranny was toast.

Demick
bondo
Oh, yeah, I forgot that loosening that nut lets your pinion shaft wander.. crappo. but I have those too smile.gif Anyone know what the proper torque for that bolt is? And would locktite help in such an oily environment?
machina
Can someone outline which bolts we are talking about? I'm confused. wacko.gif
jr91472
Thanks everyone. I have calmed down now.

Spoke to a local 914 guy here and he confirmed "the Cap'n" diagnosis. That also explained why I was suddenly have problems with 1st and Rev only. So looks like i will be digging into it starting tomarrow. I promise to post some pics. My actually learn something.

I will also be contact the guy who sold me the tranny. Swore he would standby it. So I guess we'll see.

Bondo...thanks for the offer. I am sure we will be talking.

oh on a positive note, my teener past state inspection this morning chairfall.gif
bondo
Number 18 in that pic. It holds all the stuff onto the pinion shaft, and also holds the pinion shaft in place. The twisty gear sticking out of the head of the bolt is the speedo drive gear (brass), and that is what's sticking out of the tail cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.