Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 spring vs 4 spring clutches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
I have had both and I can't really tell the difference. Other than price wink.gif

So exactly what do those springs do? i know that the wavy piece in between acts like a cushion right?

So now that I opened this can of worms AGAIN "whats up with that"?
SirAndy
6 spring = newer, better, cheaper

4 spring = old, bad, expensive

biggrin.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
The 4 spring disc can rub againts the 5 bolts for the flywheel. The 6 spring can't.

B
Dr Evil
Andy,
4 spring = more? 6 = cheaper? On the bird board the 4 spring is $65 and the six is $145.65. I am gonna check a few other places, but where did you get that idea. Just curious, not hating.

Oh, where is my Visio 2000 wink.gif

When I put my 2.7L in should I switch to the 911 disk, or stick with the 914 disk?
bob91403
Six spring, stronger adhesion, wider more even distribution of force. Six spring definitly. Why do you think they used it in the 911s? Just another example of a better quality part from a different Porsche to be added to the 914. How many turbo tie rods are out there? Mine is still stock. Lot's of 911 front ends, too. Better selection of rims with five lug. Mine is still stock. I do have a 19mm brake cylinder and SS lines. Made a BIG difference. But, that's safety. I have to redo my clutch, the best price I could find on a complete kit was from pelican parts. The six spring is standard.
Joe Ricard
OK lets see how many hole I can shoot at this.
1. So if the 6 spring is more expensive (and yes it is) IT MUST BE BETTER ar15.gif
3. 6 spring disks could provide smooter engagement for "girlie men that can drive a standard"
4. For Manly men I just as well have a solid center and side step the clutch at 4500 RPM. 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd as I am shooting through the cones.
5. Lets not even go there on the 19MM master cylinder. Good thing I got strng le3gs just to maybe equal the force I can generate with a 17MM (well maybe not)
6. Turbo Tie rods came from the other car. Rubber links were shot so it makes sense to put in what I had.
7. Bigger brakes sand wheels make more unsprung wieht so of course you need more brakes.
8. SSI l;ines came on the car no need to change them. Since I spend all my time in under and around my car I give them plenty of inspection attention.

The stronger adhesion just baffles me. same friction material same area sq. inch wise. Same pressure plate. By the way I am confident as much a hellion as I am on my car that 80 HP and itty bitty torque curve won't over power a stock clutch.
Joe Ricard
icon_bump.gif
I thought there would be more comments but I guess my points must have more merit than hot air.
McMark
Get the four spring and be happy. Personally I'll never put one in my car.

Besides it's Friday night. Everybody is out partying. monkeydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.