Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: v8 driving experiences.. Brad.. others.. help.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So I finally get the new terry cable in (and my guess is that will only last me a while as well... 2 90 degree bends to get out of the way of the belts....) And just like it has always been, its got wierd sounds, like its rubbing (metal), or something internal is wrong, or something is loose, or bla bla bla.... So I figure its something wrong but I have no clue what the heck it is, so I leave it in the back of my mind... Today (11:20 pm....) we finally get it on the road... Its got a bunch of instant tq, but the partial throttle (more than 25%) is wrong.... First thing I notice is that the metal sound is present, and now, when on a tad bit of throttle (think normal every day acceleration) it starts to make this wierd sound.. like the engines Really working hard. like two completely different sounds emerge.. the normal sound we've been hearing, rumble rumble... now its, WAAAAAHH keep in mind, this is only a little throttle... like very little... Oh did I mention it feels slow under that throttle? I mean, ya... Its got a little tq.. Given I've probably not hit the secondary's yet though... But it feels like its being restricted... like something is SEVERELY holding it back.

No I (or dad) didnt floor it... It felt like the more throttle I gave it, the worse I did to the engine...

Keep in mind, we just rebuilt this engine. Its got a Holley 650.. Facet fuel pump (im sure that doesnt make a difference.. Paul is running the same pump.) Some wierd truck/smog exhaust (w/ cat...), HEI dizzy (new)

I mean I do take into account that the engine hasnt been broken in yet (planned to do that today a little....)

It appears that nothing is rubbing. The only thing close to rubbing is the shift linkage.. and thats pretty darn close to rubbing, but its not.

Our thoughts are jetting and timing... Timing seemed to be ok when we checked it....
Any idea's?

I wanted this to be fun... nope.. This project has only sucked so far... 3 stinkin months and no payback... I hate doing this...
Mueller
any chance the cat. is clogged up??

how does the motor rev when in neutral?

for your throttle, it sounds like your best bet is hydralic or use something similar to the factory /6

I wanted this to be fun... nope.. This project has only sucked so far... 3 stinkin months and no payback... I hate doing this...

you don't learn anything if it's too simple smile.gif

keep at it, you'll get right soon enough smash.gif
Andyrew
The cats possibly clogged up.. Dont know..

It revved fast in neutral...

I'll do some cutting to get the throttle cable to sit better... but I might just need to go hydrolic.. What does the 6 have? I've really never looked at one good...

Learn anything? freak, I've had to change just about every stinking thing that I got with this "kit" and fab so many stupid parts... Every day I've been working on the car.. For the past 3 months.... EVERY DAY

half a day was the painting of the hoods and bumper, the rest was fixing problems......
JoeSharpOld
Gosh, that sounds just like a 914. Just stay with it, you will get it going and it will be worth all the work in the end. Oh, but then it would not be a 914. wink.gif I have 5 that I'm trying to get 3 from. There are 6 here and only 2 strat but none are driveable. I've been rebuilding one for almost a year, but I don't do TV.
Joe
smrz914
It's hard to say what it could be without hearing it. No idea about the grinding metal sound without hearing it. Smell the exhaust and see if it smells rich. Or has some other oder that is strange. Could the sound be b/c the air cleaner aren't seating proberly? It'll be a deep hissing sound. Just a thought.

As for the power loss I think that the carb needs to be adjusted. Or your secondaries arn't opening at the right time. Check to see if your throttle is opening all the way. I ran at half throttle for a long time and thought it was fast. then I fixed that and then the car was really fun.

I hope I mentioned that I hate my facet pump. Well you heard how loud it was. Where did you mount yours?
Andyrew
Mines mounted in the engine bay... Its loud.. but its not that loud.

The engine is louder.

I know what the hissing sound from the carb sounds like... its not like that... Its much different.

From what we can tell its running rich... but we havent tested it on the LM1 unit.. We'll do that next week (unfortunately this weekend is packed for me...

Did I mention I havent even pushed the throttle down half way yet? This is the first miles on the engine.. where breaking it in... We'll be dynoing it and changing the jets on the dyno.. Should be good.. but I think its something internal.. or belt wise.. wrong with the engine...

Oh, test drive (at night) was 195 degree's... Should be interesting to see if it goes good....

Andrew
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 23 2004, 11:29 PM)

I'll do some cutting to get the throttle cable to sit better... but I might just need to go hydrolic.. What does the 6 have? I've really never looked at one good...

The stock 4cyl throttle cable works fine if its routed correct. But if you need a longer cable Terry cable will make you one any length you need.

I think that the 914/6 throttle cable is shorter than the 4cyl ???

You can also very carefully bend the throttle cable steel tube where it exits the firewall to angle to drivers side instead of the pass. This will point the cable in the direction it needs to go and take out a extra bend.

Bob
andys
If the bends in the throttle cable are too tight, your throttle pedal will be heavy and give you the sensation of being un-responsive. See what you can do to route the cable as smoothly as you can with nice big radius bends. If need be, get a longer cable to smooth out the bends; as mentioned, TerryCable will make any length you need. You might also consider using a bellcrank to change to 90 degrees (or whatever you need), or a setup not unlike the 914-6.

I can't recall if you discussed this previously, but did you put the spacer behind the crank dampener? If you left it out, then the dampener will rub against the timing cover yeilding a metallic rubbing/grinding sound.

I'm trying to remember what you did with regard to the motor....stock 350, wasn't it? I would also suggest you look at the timing and jetting, especially the idle circuit as off idle response is mostly dictated by how well the idle circuit is adjusted. You may have to check the power valves to see what you have. If the carb was on a cammed motor before, they may have been changed. That 650 may be a bit large for your motor as well, so proper tuning becomes even more critical (and more difficult). Or go with a smaller carb (which will be easier to tune). Get the Holley tuning guide and follow it to the letter (for the idle circuit adjustment, repeat the process no less than three different times to produce the best results).

Andy
McMark
Flywheel hitting starter? confused24.gif
neo914-6
Have you checked the vac advance? If the noise is internal to the motor, you should be able to hear it at idle. Try a mechanics stethescope to isolate the noise. The belts and remote alt and pump bearings are one source.
Brad routed my longer Terry throttle from the back of the engine. Renegade route their between the firewall and engine with the "s". both work...
Discouragement is the pits, but hang in there. It will be worth it once it's running well. You are piecing it together so expect problems. Remember, you are building this for a fraction of what many others have spent. That is an accomplishment in itself. smilie_pokal.gif
Felix
Andyrew
It only makes this noise some of the time... Mainly for changes in throttle or load...

There is no steady cause for it to make the noise..

I'd get you guys some video... BUUUT.. my mom took the video camera with her.... (grrr)

I dont think the flywheel is hitting the starter.. But I'll look.

Spacer is in the crank aka renegade.

350 .030 over bore (like that matters) with mild/wild camshaft, Performer RPM intake manifold (waiting to be installed....) and headers (waiting to be installed) (heck I have double humper heads in the garage as well... but thats for later biggrin.gif )

The Air fuel ratio was rich when we tried to set the idle.. best we could do was high 13's. I want to do some tests today and see what its at, then go from there. As I said Im sure the timing and Jetting are not right, but I dont think that that would cause the problems Im describing.

I'll think about the longer throttle cable.. That could work if I could put it around the outside of the engine bay... (ie really long... lol)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.