Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I just bought an air compressor last week. 6 hp 155psi 27 gallon tank. I haven't used it much and have never owned one before. My question is should I bleed the pressure after every time I use it or keep the pressure stored in the tank. Thanks.
cheers, Elliot
seanery
my manual says to drain after every use, I have to say, I'm not really good about doing that though.
GaroldShaffer
ditto. I also run it for a few minutes once a month with the bleed / drain valve on the bottom open to "wash out" the condensation.
anthony
Get an inline air/water filter. It will catch a lot of the water. It's also good for your tools.
beemie96
You're definitely supposed to drain it after every use. Otherwise the water sits and the thing can rust. I like the idea of running periodically with the drain valve open, too... I think I'll start doing that.
Rider914
I leave mine cracked open just a touch. It looses all of its pressure within a few hours of shutting it off, but she won't hold water. And I don't have to remember to drain.
Katmanken
Drain it!

Don't take chances. One of my designers at work came from Cambell Hausfeld where he worked on the compressor line. Said that they sometimes pumped up rusty tanks to explosion as part of their testing. wacko.gif

According to him, you DO NOT want to be anywhere near oneof those suckas when it goes. sad.gif

Also talks about seeing blown tanks that the PO had welded..... blink.gif

He recommends buying a new tank periodically as cheap insurance....

Ken
bob91403
Drain your lines too. They get old and cracked fast if left with pressure in them. But, everybody knows that, right?
balljoint
I drain mine after every use. 20 Gallon 5 HP. I leave the drain screw open and the next time I use it I always forget to close it. This results in inadvertent clearing of any moisture still in the tank, and blows the floor clean as well. smile.gif

This is not a pain or a tough thing to do, it is worthwhile, it is just hard to remember sometimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.