Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought another 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Last night a friend calls me up and has a 1976 911 for me to look at. The engine is in boxes and a tree fell on the rear window area, I think it can be fixed, or at least be a donor car. Must not have been a big tree. biggrin.gif
It gets delivered today, I'll get some pictures.
If the fuchs are real they're worth more than I'm paying for the car...
billh1963
I'm a sucker for cheap Porsches; however, in this case a 1976 is not particularly desireable. You would pay far more to bring it back to life than it would be worth. Pictures may change my mind; however, it sounds like it may be a parts car.
1973-914-2L
True the 76's are not the most valuable but for a good price as you said you have got at minimum good parts ... After you evaluate it a bit and to some it depends if its a coupe or a targa you may have some great donor parts for your teener and be ready for a few for sale parts here or at the bird ...

Good luck on it .. if the price was right you can almost do no wrong ...

Steve
ripper911
agree.gif It's a coupe. The back window and one of the rear quarter windows are broken. The rear lenses are out. Not in too bad of shape otherwise. $400
billh1963
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Mar 25 2012, 02:37 PM) *

agree.gif It's a coupe. The back window and one of the rear quarter windows are broken. The rear lenses are out. Not in too bad of shape otherwise. $400

Engine parts alone are worth a couple thousand...
ripper911
This is torture... Haven't been able to get a hold of the guy all day.

Finally heard from him, another hour or so... yawn.gif at least he owns his own tow truck so I know we can get it here tonight.
ripper911
IPB Image

The current 911 and the 914 in the background blocking the driveway so there will be room for the tow truck.

racerbvd
I just happen to have a rear window, maybe a 1/4 window too beer.gif
rfuerst911sc
For the price you got it for you can't lose. The motor if it's in pieces and is a 2.7 may not be worth fixing. Generally to make the 2.7 " good " a fair amount of machine work ( $$$ ) is needed. If you want to make this a driver you might want to keep your eye out for a 2.4 or a 3.0 to buy and install. Window glass is not that big a deal. Does it have Fuch wheels or cookie cutters ? Good luck with the project.
a914622
Before you start parting out have a look around. The mid 70s have come on strong. The long hoods are out of this world for pricing. This has driven folks to look at the 74-76 with a glimmer.
Is there a plak on the dash? I know you said its a 76 but if its a silver anniversary it may be worth keeping.
Or better yet paint it all RAT ROD

Cool find

jcl
mepstein
Wholesale (flip) it on Pelican. Make money. Spend it on the 914.
rjames
I'm just starting to learn about 911s. Why is the '76 not desirable?
ripper911
I got it, its a 1976 911S, on my phone right now but I'll try to post pictures.
ripper911
IPB Image
ripper911
IPB Image
Ferg
If you part it, I may be interested in F R valances, and sun visors if they are nice. Nice score.
ripper911
IPB Image
jmill
Nice score! beerchug.gif

How come I never fall into deals like this. headbang.gif
carr914
Definately good score!
racerbvd
Good Deal.. I should have the tail light lenses as well in my stash of stuff. As others have said, they are starting to come up in value, and of course, you could stick a 2.0 Teener engine in it & have a 912E to cruise around in until you build the 2.7.. smilie_pokal.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 26 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I'm just starting to learn about 911s. Why is the '76 not desirable?

They were a 2.7 L engine that had a lot of trouble (mostly due to emissions equipment):

Read this:
1974-1976 911 Engine issues
ripper911
Heres a slightly better picture of the damaged rear of the car. There are dents at the top of the window on both sides, don't know how easy that would be to fix.
IPB Image
IPB Image
scotty b
2.7 gets a bad rap due to the thermal reactors ( basically a catalytic converter ) low compression, and crappy cams. HOWEVER, if you plan on a complete rebuild, the case, crank, rods and head are just fine for a blaster. Toss the pistons, exhaust and cams and do a complete rebuild. the thermal reactors contributed to the head stud issue that was already prevalent so upgrade the studs as you SHOULD anyway
bigkensteele
Have you had a chance to check the usual areas for rust yet? You are already ahead just with the wheels. If the tub is solid, you are golden.
ripper911
Looks good as far as I have seen so far, mostly at night and drunk... but I think the rustproofing works.

I'll be looking more thouroghly wednesday when I'm home from work.
ripper911
I'm working on uploading pictures from my phone.

I have found some good stuff in the trunk.

The rear seats
rear lenses, but cracked
sunvisors
some other stuff...

But I was suprised to find the tool kit in a leather wrap inside of an old plastic bag that says porsche on it. What's that worth? The tools are a little rusty, pics coming soon.
rfuerst911sc
This would be a great RS/RSR conversion build. Make sure you cover that back window to keep pollen/bugs/rain out. If the chassis is relatively rust free you could really have fun with it. Fiberglass front/rear bumpers, a ducktail spoiler and some flares. Have you figured out what you are going to do with it ?
a914622
I say rattle can it black stuff a straight piped suby turbo and bomb around town beerchug.gif

jcl
ripper911
More Pictures!

Stuff from the trunk
IPB Image

More stuff
IPB Image

Toolkit
IPB Image

ripper911
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Only 84,000 miles
rgalla9146
Are you sure it is not a 912E ?
That spark plug socket looks more 356 than 911.
Can't make out rear emblem.
Just sayin'
Have you seen the engine ?
rgalla9146
I should have said the spark plug socket doesn't look too 911ish , too long.
ripper911
The socket may not be 911 but the car is

IPB Image

shocked[1].gif
ripper911
I finally got the drivetrain! It's in pieces but I'm hoping I can get it together soon.

IPB Image

Not bad for $400 first.gif total...
mepstein
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 27 2012, 02:20 PM) *

I finally got the drivetrain! It's in pieces but I'm hoping I can get it together soon.

IPB Image

Nice score. Wait until you see the bill to put it back together $$$ blink.gif
Als914
If you are going to part it out I would be very,very interested in the interior door panels, pockets and door handle. First in line I hope.

Al
pete-stevers
If i was not so up to my eyeballs in projects
I would offer to buy it and build it up as a back date!!!!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 27 2012, 02:20 PM) *

IPB Image

I may be able to put it together for you wink.gif
bigkensteele
This score just keeps getting better and better. Check the smugglers box for a gold bar. I would really hate you then. ;-)
ripper911
All of the engine parts are rebuilt already, and the transmission is still assembled.
I'll get some better pictures today.

Al Meredith
Kevin, Good luck with the 76. Blake and I have a 912E engine and unique engine tin for a 912E for sale now. Problem is we don't have the transmission. The 912E transmission has a different size shaft. You remember I still have a 1976 912E so If you need to see how anything goes together your welcome to take a look. Looks like your 76 has 14" wheels? Al
Bullethead
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jul 27 2012, 06:34 PM) *

If i was not so up to my eyeballs in projects
I would offer to buy it and build it up as a back date!!!!

agree.gif

$400?!? Apart from the rear window area damage that looks dry and straight. Sell the interior, big bumpers and go light-weight R style backdate.
ripper911
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 29 2012, 08:24 PM) *

Kevin, Good luck with the 76. Blake and I have a 912E engine and unique engine tin for a 912E for sale now. Problem is we don't have the transmission. The 912E transmission has a different size shaft. You remember I still have a 1976 912E so If you need to see how anything goes together your welcome to take a look. Looks like your 76 has 14" wheels? Al

Hey Al! Ever since I got the parts I've been itching to give you a call. The 1911 is still running strong.
I'm not sure about the size of the wheels...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.