Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2012 Meals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
jcd914
Questions about the dinners we are providing.

Andy and I were talking about food today, we are talking about a simple BBQ of burgers and polish sausages plus salad & chips probably some cookies for Thursday night.
We were kind of thinking we wanted to do something a little higher scale for Saturday's dinner. Actually Andy is doing a large prime rib dinner next week and he could save about $3 a pound on prime rib for us if he buys it when he buys for the other dinner.
We can do this and stay with in the original suggested $10 per person per meal but is that what want to do? Thursday meal would be about $7-$8 and Saturday's Prime Rib would be about $12.

Do we want to provide a vegetarian meal option or other dietary needs? We can do it we just need to plan ahead, Thursday at dinner or Saturday at dinner is not the time to find out some has a special dietary need.

Jim
biosurfer1
That sounds like a good plan to me. I wont be there until Friday night so having the higher scale dinner on Saturday is probably better for most people.

I have no idea about the vegetarian option, never know how many people would want that. Did we have one in Tahoe?
ConeDodger
No. I don't think we did... You have to be a carnivore to love a 914 evilgrin.gif
hydroliftin
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 25 2012, 04:08 PM) *

Questions about the dinners we are providing.

Andy and I were talking about food today, we are talking about a simple BBQ of burgers and polish sausages plus salad & chips probably some cookies for Thursday night.
We were kind of thinking we wanted to do something a little higher scale for Saturday's dinner. Actually Andy is doing a large prime rib dinner next week and he could save about $3 a pound on prime rib for us if he buys it when he buys for the other dinner.
We can do this and stay with in the original suggested $10 per person per meal but is that what want to do? Thursday meal would be about $7-$8 and Saturday's Prime Rib would be about $12.

Do we want to provide a vegetarian meal option or other dietary needs? We can do it we just need to plan ahead, Thursday at dinner or Saturday at dinner is not the time to find out some has a special dietary need.

Jim

I love prime rib, but I've never tried eating it in a parking lot. With that cold wind coming off the ocean it would get cold pretty quick. The good thing with BBQ ribs is that the ribs act as a heat sink and keep the meat warm.
McMark
Peter has a great point. Fork-n-knife meals are a PITA in a parking lot. We could see about renting some tables.
jcd914
agree.gif

A point I had not considered.
Tahoe was cool but not windy and I don't think I have ever been in Monterey when it did not get windy in the evening.
I also like the idea of BBQ Ribs (w/ built in heat sinks).
Would we have room for tables in the parking lot?
Has anyone been to the motel and inspected the facilities? How much parking lot space will we have?
We will probably be bringing a small (5x8?) enclosed trailer with all the catering equipment & food.
Andy's Smoker/BBQ trailer is bigger than we need and too heavy to tow that far.
Andy is pretty much willing to fix us what ever we want.

Thanks
Jim
hydroliftin
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 27 2012, 03:37 PM) *

agree.gif

A point I had not considered.
Tahoe was cool but not windy and I don't think I have ever been in Monterey when it did not get windy in the evening.
I also like the idea of BBQ Ribs (w/ built in heat sinks).
Would we have room for tables in the parking lot?
Has anyone been to the motel and inspected the facilities? How much parking lot space will we have?
We will probably be bringing a small (5x8?) enclosed trailer with all the catering equipment & food.
Andy's Smoker/BBQ trailer is bigger than we need and too heavy to tow that far.
Andy is pretty much willing to fix us what ever we want.

Thanks
Jim

You can get a pretty good idea of what the parking lot looks like by entering the address 100 RESERVATION RD, MARINA CA into Google maps and then looking at satellite view. The lot is good sized, but if it is all parked up I don't see that there would be room for tables. There is a cul-de-sac for Seaside Ct. next to the lot and it could be possible to put the trailer there, or not.

I want to go out there this Friday to do a reconnaissance run on the Friday drive up to Canepa. Let me know if there are specifics you need on the site. If it is raining cats and dogs, however, all bets are off.
biosurfer1
I got to believe that we have more than enough in the funds to get some tables and chairs if we want
hydroliftin
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 28 2012, 07:43 PM) *

I got to believe that we have more than enough in the funds to get some tables and chairs if we want

The problem is where to put everything. I went to the motel Friday and there is just about enough space to park all the cars. The motel is on a hill, so you drive up to it from where the Denny's is located. On the south-east side of the motel there were a couple of trailers with spec miata race cars on the back taking up several parking spots. This might be a good spot for the trailer and the food. This side also overlooks an empty lot, so not too many people to bug if the noise gets bad. There is alos a cul-de-sac on Seaside Ct. which is connected to the motel parking lot but has a chain accross it. Since there is only a building contractor busines located on the cul-de-sac, we may be able to get away with using some of that space, but it could be iffy if someone called the police.

Gloria Jean Tate Park is located accross Reservation Road from the motel and there is a scout house there with kitchen, rest rooms, etc. but the fees are pretty high. This would give us access to a sheltered eating area. Details are here, but we would have to hurry to get this set up in time:

http://www.ci.marina.ca.us/documents/Recre...Application.PDF
McMark
Jeff Stroud butchered a cow has a TON of beef which he offered for the BBQ. boldblue.gif

Jim, can you talk with Andy and see if this is acceptable? We can also put Andy in touch with Jeff S. and let them work it out.
jcd914
I need a head count for food Thursday night and Saturday night?

Jim

jcd914
I am going to need some help with food at WCR.
Andy has neck injury and can't travel so I am going to be doing the food at the event.
We are going to have grilled sausages and salad Thursday night, maybe some baked beans.
We are going to have ribs on Saturday with salad, a veggy and probably some potatoes.
There will be soda and water with both meals.
Andy and I are meeting tomorrow to finalize all the details and he will be helping ahead of time and providing all the equipment.

Any specifics or issues please speak up!

Thanks
Jim
biosurfer1
Jim,

I updated the registered list in my thread so that should get you a pretty accurate head count, I think we are at about 60 right now, but it looks like more last minute sign ups are coming than I expected.
McMark
Jim, I'll be happy to help if you need me.
jcd914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2012, 08:59 PM) *

Jim, I'll be happy to help if you need me.

Thanks, it should not be too bad, some help with set up and getting food out to the serving table.

Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 23 2012, 12:37 PM) *

Jim,

I updated the registered list in my thread so that should get you a pretty accurate head count, I think we are at about 60 right now, but it looks like more last minute sign ups are coming than I expected.

Anyone have a guess on how many extras (not registered yet)I should plan on?

We are only planning about 40 for Thursday and 60 for Saturday.

Jim
McMark
IMHO, if they didn't pay ahead, they don't get food. There should be plenty there though.
biosurfer1
No registrations in the last day or so, so I'd call it closed. List is up to date. Justin and I will be around to help with setup, etc if needed
jcd914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Apr 25 2012, 09:23 AM) *

No registrations in the last day or so, so I'd call it closed. List is up to date. Justin and I will be around to help with setup, etc if needed

Thanks! smile.gif

ConeDodger
Got an email this morning from the motel saying they are not allowed to have BBQ's in the parking lot due to fire hazard. Two thoughts. Just do it. Go to the closest park. We will sort it out.
biosurfer1
Uh...guess it worked out:)
ConeDodger
Yes. I made the executive decision to ignore the email since we saw almost no Motel 6 staff the entire weekend. That, and they stole my fuchin' pillow. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.