Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust/header options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blaize
So, I have a 73 2.0. it has stainless heat exchangers on it. looks like they are 1.7 pipes. I bought a new rear bracket (2.0) and it does not fit. looking at pictures in the books I have it appears I have 1.7 exhaust. did these come stainless from Porsche?

I have a stock 1.7 muffler on it, is bursch the way to go? I would rather retain heat as this will be a year round street car (mabye daily). but what are the options. so whats out there and whats worth owning. I saw one setup that was 2k for headers and mufflers w/a heat exchanger on one side. Very nice but way out of budget.

As a side not anyone need a brand new 2.0 rear exhaust hanger. I paid 40, take 20. It is new from AA. I happened to be in Atlanta and stopped by. you guys are right, rude , condecending, and what a dump. I would gladly trade for a 1.7 in servicable shape.
bob91403
No, SS is aftermarket. As long as you don't care about having a heater there are several aftermarket exhaust systems available. You might get a few extra HP from a less restrictive exhaust. More noise too. Keep the exhaust hanger and try to find a used set of original 2.0 heat exchangers and muffler is my suggestion. The SS units are popular. My well known Porsche mechanic told me not to buy them. He said he's never seen a set made well enough not to leak.
blaize
Now that you mention it I have to pull the ends fully one inch together to get them to fit the muffler
bob91403
OOH! Don't stress your exhaust studs. Not only will you have blowby, and leakage, it can really screw things up.
Bleyseng
Bob91403, the SSI Heat exchangers are made BETTER than stock. First they are made of Stainless so they don't rust. Secondly they have slightly larger pipes for more power. Thirdly, they actually give you more heat.
If you look at a set you will see that they don't leak either....
Better check out your mechanic.....

Using SS 1.7 he's is ok on a 2.0l just get the right hanger and a Bursch. Bolt it all finger tight adjusting the fit as you go before tightening it down.

Geoff
Carrera916
Yeah....

SS is the way to go....as for the leaks, there are times you might find the seating area on the head exhaust ports not level due to old copper gasket stuck in there and no one bother to try take it off but put new ones over it.....

new exhaust copper gasket are a must when you replace the headers....of course, after the old ones are out!

other thing to look at....the mating surface of the inlets on the SS header needs to be straight horizontally and that can be done by placing a long flat file on top of BOTH inlet flanges and file over in an "X" pattern until the whole surface is filed....no need to file it all the way down, just enuff to know that its straight and even.

"Finger tight" the nuts on the headers to the head evenly and then torque it evenly will help....I've seen some being tight on one end then the next, it tends to mess up the sealing surface....

hope this helps...

j
eeyore
I had a nearly one inch descrepancy the first time I assembled the exhaust / heat exchangers. I had tightened down all the head studs first, then went bolt up the collector. It wasn't even close. I had to loosen the head studs, loosely assemble the muffler collector, then progressively tighten everything.
bob91403
In regards to SS. Otto's in Venice say's they're all junk. The mounting flanges are too thin. "It's like trying to bolt down a gum wrapper". The guy has 30 years of experience with racing Porsches. I believe him. Better off with OEM.
seanery
John's a cranky old guy. SS are fine, you just don't wann over tighten them.

MANY, MANY of us have them on their cars. driving.gif
tracks914
Here is a stock exhaust from the inside out. The four headers port into the outsides and then go into the center section from the ends through the center pipe. All the engine exhaust goes throught the tiny holes in the center then to the outlet pipe to exhaust.
Any wonder why thye say that stock exhaust doesn't breath?
Don't ask me why I cut it apart! rolleyes.gif
tracks914
Sorry here it is.
tracks914
And another.
TheCabinetmaker
Well, I don't have 30 years experience racing Porsches, or any other car for that matter, but I do have 31 years of experience driving heat exchanger system 914's. My first 914 (a 73 I bought new and still have) had no heat to the cab after 7 years. SS fried my butt like the oems never did, and continues to work great today. BTW, The little 1.7 has over half million miles and still runs good. It's fixing to get all the oil leaks fixed, and used as a spare motor for all the 2.0's that break. I doubt the 914 race cars had heat exchangers on them anyway. I have never had problems getting them to seal.

This brings to mind a question. If SS never came stock, does mean my 75 with SS HE's in the standard 75 configuration is aftermarket?

SS and you'll never go back!
lapuwali
When assembling any exhaust system, it's best to fit ALL of the fasteners on the loose side, them tighten them all up in roundabout fashion. This places the least stress on the parts, and ensures that everything will fit properly IF everything is correctly aligned and will EVER fit properly.
Aaron Cox
the hanger availble for 20 still?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.