Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SP9146
Bought a 1970 914-6 from original owner a year ago. Before pics are on the Pelican web site. Finally, after an unfortunate delay, the body work is in good hands. I should be able to post progress pics soon.

The shops I've used for this restoration, a restoration of my 1969 280SL and maintenance on my 911 Carrera were referred to me by club web sites. With one exception I have been delighted with the work. The peace of mind that comes from having your car in the right hands is worth so much.

To return the favor I want to give the following guys a plug and share some learning.

Recommendations

Ray Stephen, Costa Mesa CA -- I never see Ray's name mentioned on this board and I don't know why. He has a relatively low hourly rate and brought a car that had been sitting for 8 years back to life in a few days. I drove it for 2 months before taking it to the first body shop. Ray has the engine and trans and will be doing the reassembly when it comes back from body shop. I don't know how much longer he will be a mechanic for Porsches as he is in high demand from guys who use him to maintain their race cars. He is a factory trained 914 mechanic.

Advanced Automotive Refinishing, San Juan Capistrano CA -- These guys received a glowing review so I went to see them last Dec. to do the body and paint. They said they couldn't take the car until June so I went to another shop that had been recommended. That shop (I think it's best to keep it nameless) did nothing for 8 months because their body guy quit. I asked (begged actually) Jeff at Advanced Auto if he could take the car and he said yes. So it's there now and he is correcting the work from the first shop. Thankfully first shop didn't do much, just sunk cost and wasted time.

Brace's, Marina del Rey CA -- I wanted these guys to paint the 914 because they did such a great job on my 280SL 2 years ago. They said I'd have to wait forever and that's when I searched for the other shops. If you can get them to take your car do it. Brace the owner is getting older and they are taking very few restorations these days. Gary runs the place and is a little cranky (well more than a little) but it's a small price to pay considering the quality of the work. Get Brace involved if you can.

Tony Callas, Torrance CA -- He does great work but is expensive. I couldn't afford him to do the restoration on my 914-6 but he's close and I use him for Carrera maintenance.

Haydon Brothers, Anaheim Hills CA -- The first mechanic I used on the Carrera. About as expensive as Tony but also really good. Doug is the bro I worked with.

Autos International Escondido CA -- They will be doing the interior work. I visited their shop and WOW they do great work.

Pelican Parts, El Segundo CA -- I ordered all of the restoration parts from Tom Gould. He spent a ton of time with me on the phone and considering the size of the order gave me a discount on top of their already low prices.

For vintage Mercedes work (not that you guys care) -- Steve Marx, Costa Mesa and Peter Krausert, formerly Costa Mesa now Fallbrook I believe. Steve is in his 50s, Peter is in his 60s. 100% pros.

Learning

Age of the shop owners -- Fewer and fewer guys want to do restoration work. Ray, Jeff, Tony and Haydon Bros. are in their 40s. I wonder what will happen when they get older. Learning -- Get your restoration work done NOW. Brad Roberts in No. Cal. is the only young guy I know of doing this kind of work.

Waiting for the work -- The #1 warning sign on the first body shop should have been that they could take the car immediately. In So. Cal. you will need to wait a few months to get your car in.

You get what you pay for and it's worth it! -- If you start with a good rust free car the cost of the mechanical work and paint will be a good investment. I can recover the cost of the purchase price and all work done on the 280SL (but I will never sell it). If the 914-6 comes out as good as I think same holds true.

These older cars are going UP in value as the boomers retire and put more demand on the market. Combine the increased demand with the scarcity of good cars restored by guys who are giving up the trade and you have supply and demand working in your favor.

Would be interested in hearing from others who have had good, or bad, experiences with mechanics or body shops in So. Cal. I'm looking for a top notch bumper repair and plating shop so please chime in if you know of anyone.

If you visit any of these guys please tell them I sent you.

Pete H.
1970 914-6
1969 Mercedes 280SL
1986 911 Carrera Coupe
JoeSharpOld
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif I want pictures. I have a -6 that needs everything done and I'm just about ready to start the rebuild of the car completely. What about the cost? And is this the green car found under a tree. smile.gif
Joe
skline
Hey Peter, glad to hear you had good luck With Ray, I think he is in his late 50's btw. There is another factory trained 914 mechanic down here in Costa Mesa but he is a little flakey sometimes but if you can get him to work on your car, he is good and really knows them inside and out. For this reason, I will not mention any names. Did you stay with the green factory color? I would really like to see how the car comes out. I stopped by Rays when you first took it there to check it out. It for sure had a lot of potential. Post pics when you take some.
SP9146
Yeah it's the green car found under a tree. Thankfully the tree didn't drop salty water on it!

How much is it going to cost? We'll Ray is reasonable but not cheap. I'll end up paying him $8K or so to reassemble, rebuild tranny, etc. The first $2K was to get it running again which I recommend cause it gave me a chance to see what the car's like and what I wanted to improve. I got hooked driving it, it's a lot more fun than the 911.

I was so happy that Advanced Auto took it I didn't ask about the cost. Their original estimate back in Dec. (when I decided to pass) was $8 - 10K+.

So worse case (yeah right!) is $8K + 10K + 2.5K (interior) + 4K (parts) + $5.5K (purchase price) = 30K. Could I get that much if I were to sell it? Depends on how it turns out. Could I get that much in a few years, heck yeah!

At least I tell myself that.

If you need estimates go to Ray and Advanced Auto. Avoid a body shop in OC that's recommended if you search Pelican's "body shop" recommendations.

Pete
SP9146
Hey Scott. Ray's in his late 50s?! I better get the car back to him soon! That's exactly what I'm taking about.

Yes I'm going to stay with the green I don't believe in repainting cars in anything other than the original color. Plus I like it.

Interestingly Jeff told me that the color code on the car was wrong. He had to call Glasurit in Germany to make sure he got the right color. He says it's same as original but "fresher" because the original paint is so dull.

The other thing that should have tipped me off about the first body shop was that they dumped Glasurit in favor of Sherwin-Williams because "it's easier to work with". OK. They also insisted on painting the car base + clear. I know clearcoat has advantages but I want it factory-factory.

I'm in Japan on assignment for 2 years. I plan to visit LA every 2 months on business and 2 - 3 weeks every Dec. and summer. So pics will have to wait til I get stateside.

Pete
Bleyseng
Are you keeping the motor stock?? Seems like that it would be the time to add some hp with a few mods to the engine. The stock six 2.0l is just ok in the HP dept.
Call Rich at HPH for new/used parts also as they have the largest inventory on the West Coast.

Geoff
anthony
So worse case (yeah right!) is $8K + 10K + 2.5K (interior) + 4K (parts) + $5.5K (purchase price) = 30K. Could I get that much if I were to sell it? Depends on how it turns out. Could I get that much in a few years, heck yeah!

These cars are still quite aways away from $30K. The highest I've seen a low mileage mint condtion stock six for is $24K in the last year. If they keep going up it might be worth $30K in 10 years or so.
Carrera916
QUOTE(SP9146 @ Sep 26 2004, 04:30 AM)
Hey Scott.  Ray's in his late 50s?!  I better get the car back to him soon!  That's exactly what I'm taking about.

Yes I'm going to stay with the green I don't believe in repainting cars in anything other than the original color.  Plus I like it.

Interestingly Jeff told me that the color code on the car was wrong.  He had to call Glasurit in Germany to make sure he got the right color.  He says it's same as original but "fresher" because the original paint is so dull.

The other thing that should have tipped me off about the first body shop was that they dumped Glasurit in favor of Sherwin-Williams because "it's easier to work with".  OK.  They also insisted on painting the car base + clear.  I know clearcoat has advantages but I want it factory-factory.

I'm in Japan on assignment for 2 years.  I plan to visit LA every 2 months on business and 2 - 3 weeks every Dec. and summer.  So pics will have to wait til I get stateside.

Pete

Pete....

It was a good thing you spot the issues about the paint at the first body shop....yes, Glasurit is the way to go and HELL, it is very easy to use as I've been using it for 10 years when I was a Porsche restorer.....I would never dream of using that crap, Sherman Willams, and have done only once with that during my high school vocational training (auto body class)....boy, they're sure are one hellva crapola!

If the car was mine, I would go for the base & clear as there isn't a difference when you look at a straight color painted car vs to base/clear painted car...but the advantages of base/clear are too much to ignore...especially for S. Calif cars where the sun is a bit too much down there....that's just my opinion...

j
SP9146
Picked up the car from the painter today, here are the pics. Went with the single stage Glasuit paint. Next is transmission rebuild, suspension rebuild, engine reseal, 911 exhaust, reassembly and finally new interior.

Lots of decisions to make like keep old windshield or replace with new, keep 195/65 tires or replace with different size, wheel refinishing shop, 140 or 100 rear springs, the usual.

Can't stop thinking about a 3.2 engine swap and 16" Fuchs. I like the way the narrow bodies look with the 16" wheels. Hope to have the strength to resist and stay with the back-to-original restoration.

With any luck the car could be done as early as Feb.

Pete
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Pictures
MattR
drooley.gif

where in LA are you?
SP9146
Pictures
skline
Holy crap, I think I got a woodie, that looks incredible. So is it on it's way back to Ray now? He is close by and I can go by and look at it in person. That looks very nice. You going to bring it to the WCC05? I hope so.
SP9146
Pictures
SP9146
Last one for now
skline
Actually, I take that back, it appears that it already is back at Ray's shop now. I will have to buzz by and see it. I would recognize that dog anywhere.
SP9146
Yes Scott it's at Ray's. Need to take him a bunch of parts.

I'm really happy with the paint and body work. I live in San Pedro, paint shop is in San Juan Capistrano. Ray Stephens is in Costa Mesa.
Maltese Falcon
Pete, I recently used Astro Plating in the valley>right off Sepulveda Bl. near Costco (same corner as Furniture Barn) . They straightened, polished and plated my trashed Vanagon bumper ( yellow cab vs. me) for $250.00 clap56.gif . It was perfectly done in 7 days. They also have a nice photo-wall of "Who's who" in the car/ bike biz. Ask for Jesus Lopez.
DerFalcon
jd74914
Nice smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I love green teeners. biggrin.gif (so much that I have one in the process of restoration wink.gif )

Really Nice. I want a 6 aktion035.gif
JoeSharpOld
Pete: That car looks great. I heat green but the paint is perfect. I too will be stopping by Rays to see your car. I'm trying to get a friend to change machanics.
Joe
campbellcj
I'm not familiar with all the shops on your list but can vouch for Brace doing superb work (ka-ching and patience are required, though, and I went elsewhere for my p-car work) and Autos International is world-class for interior work.

Keep us posted on the project as it's always nice to see a proper resto being accomplished with the play-by-play pics and commentary...
Hi_Fi_Guy
Car looks great!

I agree with you... beware of any shop that can get you in right away and get the restoration done now because the good shops are doing fewer and fewer real restorations each year.
914Timo
wub.gif Sweet. That Green looks GOOD !
Root_Werks
Wow! That looks great! smilie_pokal.gif Is that Zamizi (spelling?) green?
SLITS
Zambezi Green - use your spell checker biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 24 2004, 09:05 AM)
Zambezi Green - use your spell checker biggrin.gif

:finger2: Bite me SLITS

No wait, you probably will bite me, never mind. ohmy.gif laugh.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 24 2004, 11:53 AM)

No wait, you probably will bite me, never mind. ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Be careful.... From what I hear Rabies shots hurt really bad........
tod914
Irish Green. Car looks great. Must be anxious to get the rest done now.
SP9146
Yup 213 Irish Green. Same color as the 914-6 that was featured in Excellence a few years back, but don't have a copy anymore (if you have pls post!).

Irish Green is classy and at the same time sporty. I really like the 914-6 in yellow and orange but didn't want to change the color.

Anxious now for sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.