Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mar-hyde
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
any good auto body supply, not a parts store, should have it. after minor prep you can put it on with of those cheap plastic sprayers they sell at the dollar store. then even it out with a cheap foam brush. see a pattern here?

kevin
Gint
I think I get it.

What's the consistency of it? Real thick or not so much? I mean, would it build up like bondo or is it not that thick?

EDIT:
Thanks BTW
rhodyguy
thin enough for a squeeze bottle. you clean off the suface scale, wire wheel. DO NOT sand blast first. i cleaned with 3m degreaser, mar-hyde ( the directions are very specific and easy), self etching primer, multiple light coats of finnish. m-h does help fill minor imperfections in the metal. multiple coats with a sanding would finnish better. i was too impatient.

kevin
Lawrence
Thank you for posting this. I want to do something to prep the bottom of my floorpan before I coat with POR-15. Something more substantial than just "Metal Prep", anyways.

-Rusty
rhodyguy
i'm surprised nobody asked me what it cost. i think a quart was around $12 to $15. it goes along way. you always pour off into a glass or plastic container. i use my wifes little caning jars. if you keep it sealed it won't dry out. if you didn't see it, i posted pictures of how it looked this am in the engine pull thread.

kevin
Gint
I did see it the other thread.

When it comes to fixing rust, saving a few $$$ isn't even an option for me. I really don't care what the cost is.

I appreciate you're posting the details on the stuff. Thanks! beerchug.gif
John Kelly
Rusty,

I would not use anything besides the metalprep under POR-15. Marhyde is a cheaper alternative to POR-15 or Corroless, and does not hold up as well over the long haul...but you get wehat you pay for if you're lucky (insert smily emoticon)

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Dave Cawdrey
I agree w/ John. The POR 15 system is unbeatable, IF used properly. The Marine Clean and Metal Ready quarts run 10 bucks each, give or take a buck for mark up.
Lawrence
You guys are probably right - I just don't have any their Metal Ready (or Prep or whatever). (Forgot to order some more.) I had hoped to do some work this weekend.

-Rusty
EdwardBlume
I used the Marhyde One Step stuff in my AX car and its held up very well. Because its fairly cheap, I really doused it (floorpan) and it ended up turning black and hard.

I then painted a few coats and its been fine.

Cheap is good sometimes when you need it.
Gint
Follow-up question:

How do you remmove it if you have the need to do so?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 7 2003, 03:08 PM)
You guys are probably right - I just don't have any their Metal Ready (or Prep or whatever). (Forgot to order some more.) I had hoped to do some work this weekend.

-Rusty

I've used Por-15 without the Marine Clean and Metal Ready before with no problems.
Wire brush the area wash with degreaser, then dish soap and lots of water to get rid of all traces of the degreaser. Let totally dry and paint, has worked good for me in the past.
beer.gif
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 7 2003, 03:08 PM)
You guys are probably right - I just don't have any their Metal Ready (or Prep or whatever).  (Forgot to order some more.)  I had hoped to do some work this weekend.

-Rusty

Rusty,
Shoot them an email. Ask for a distributor in your area. I somehow wink.gif forgot something, called, and found a distributor. Got my stuff the next day. Shipping was less than from POR 15. Well, duh?! It IS closer to me... blink.gif
EdwardBlume
How do you remove it??? Wait a few years until it rusts again? Haven't made it there yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.