Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karman body number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
OmaPossu
In the floor of my friends 914:s rear trunk are two body numbers. Car is 1970 1,7 VIN 4702904415 and first sold in Germany, afterwards shipped to USA.
Numbers are (under one) 130734, last digit may be something else than 4, and top of it is new number 0719530.

I thought only 6:s have that number in rear trunks floor? And why two numbers?
Tom_T
All 914/4s & 914-6s had the Chassis numbers stamped both in the rear trunk floor & on the drivers front door jamb plate (upper box number - lower number is the OE color code) while at the Karmann plant, then the completed -6 shells were sent to Stuttgart for completion.

There should only be one number, and the two may indicate that a rust or accident damage repair was done where a part of the rear trunk from another 914 was welded in with it's chassis number intact - resulting in 2 conflicting chassis numbers.

You can compare the two trunk numbers with the number on the Karmann plate on the driver door jamb as the correct one for your car (they should match), but if the Karmann plate is missing, then you'll need to research your 914's history to uncover which number was correct.
sixerdon
.......or, there was a factory error and Hans grabbed a /6 pan by mistake and then had to stamp in the chassis number for a /4.
Both numbers seem to relate to a Feb '70 time period.
Where are these numbers located on the pan?
(maybe there is a /6 out there with a missing trunk pan......)

Don
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 26 2012, 10:54 PM) *

All 914/4s & 914-6s had the Chassis numbers stamped both in the rear trunk floor & on the drivers front door jamb plate ...

the 914-6 didn't have the number on the Karman plate

the 914 had the number hammered in the reat trunk till lat MY'74 cars, then they got a little plate with the number in the fromt trunk instead of the rear trunk thing

130734 - is a body number of a 914-6

0719530 - is a body number of a 914

beerchug.gif Gustl
teemuki
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Mar 27 2012, 12:02 AM) *

Where are these numbers located on the pan?

Hi all,
both numbers are stamped to the center of the pan, close to the trunk latch.

The car has been registererd with California licence 674 CRU (blue plate) in ยด1993 (might prove useful, should someone have access to car registration database or something like that)

...and as the wittiest of you might have guessed by now, I'm the current owner of the car in question smile.gif

Gustl
welcome.png ... from the neighbourhood (at least globally speaking biggrin.gif )
teemuki
Well thank you, kind sir. smile.gif

pete000
Is there a way to determine the month the car was built in as well as the year on the 914-6 chassis ?

Mine is Vin# 9140430131 and chassis #130189

From what I can find out on the internet the 1 is (Production body) 3 is (Karmann 914-6) 0 is (1970) and the 189 is the serial number.

Is there now way to determine the month of build from any of the numbers on the 914-6??

sixerdon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 10 2012, 10:48 PM) *

Is there a way to determine the month the car was built in as well as the year on the 914-6 chassis ?

Mine is Vin# 9140430131 and chassis #130189

From what I can find out on the internet the 1 is (Production body) 3 is (Karmann 914-6) 0 is (1970) and the 189 is the serial number.

Is there now way to determine the month of build from any of the numbers on the 914-6??

Pete, I own #0137, 6 digits after yours. You are correct w/ #13,.......where 0189 is the Karmann chassis number for 1970 /6's. To answer your question,......no, these numbers do not indicate when the chassis was built like the /4's do. If you did not have a DOT sticker on your door jamb, you would have to use the VIN Database to compare the chassis numbers on other /6's and work out the math. Yours was built in Jan '70 (as was mine) and was one of the first 50 or so brought into the US.
BTW. '71 /6's have a 7 digit number.
Don

pete000

Yours was built in Jan '70 (as was mine) and was one of the first 50 or so brought into the US.
Don

Wow very cool ! Our cars were in sight of each other rolling down the line ! Yours would not recognize mine today because of a color change from yellow to white and the addition of M471 steel arches.

I figured it had to be one of the first to roll out in 1/70 I am having a new door dot decal made up and was just hoping to get the month correct.

Roughly how many sixes did they make a month?
sixerdon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 11 2012, 07:52 AM) *

Yours was built in Jan '70 (as was mine) and was one of the first 50 or so brought into the US.
Don

Wow very cool ! Our cars were in sight of each other rolling down the line ! Yours would not recognize mine today because of a color change from yellow to white and the addition of M471 steel arches.

I figured it had to be one of the first to roll out in 1/70 I am having a new door dot decal made up and was just hoping to get the month correct.

Given what little "d" info there is in the database, my "guesstimate" would be less than 100 for 01/70. Then for 02/70 through 06/70 they seemed to average 400-500/mo before trailing off drastically in 07/70. At that time, Porsche KG probably looked at their data and determined they weren't selling as hoped and so went on their summer "holiday". The rest is history.
I have hoped more /6 owners would list their DOT date if it were available.

Don
gms
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Mar 26 2012, 02:37 PM) *

In the floor of my friends 914:s rear trunk are two body numbers. Car is 1970 1,7 VIN 4702904415 and first sold in Germany, afterwards shipped to USA.
Numbers are (under one) 130734, last digit may be something else than 4, and top of it is new number 0719530.

I thought only 6:s have that number in rear trunks floor? And why two numbers?

The next question I would ask is does it have holes for the -6 oil tank and does it have a center dash vent?
OmaPossu
No oil tank holes and there is center dash vent.
sbsix
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 11 2012, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 11 2012, 07:52 AM) *

Don

Given what little "d" info there is in the database, my "guesstimate" would be less than 100 for 01/70. Then for 02/70 through 06/70 they seemed to average 400-500/mo before trailing off drastically in 07/70. At that time, Porsche KG probably looked at their data and determined they weren't selling as hoped and so went on their summer "holiday". The rest is history.
I have hoped more /6 owners would list their DOT date if it were available.

Don

my '70 six 9140432347 has a build date of 06/70 and chassis #132391. It took me awhile to target the build date since it's a euro version and didn't come with a door jamb sticker. If it wasn't for the internet I would never would have been able to do the research.
gms
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Nov 12 2012, 11:52 AM) *

No oil tank holes and there is center dash vent.

It does not sound like a -6 chassis, probably an error in stamping
puffinator
Is there a listing of these body numbers somewhere?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.