Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can someone help with a dimension on a towbar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
I have looked everywhere and even called Empi and it isn't available.

Does anyone have the Empi Super Beetle towbar(part #3131-7) that they could provide me with how much of a drop there is from the hitch to the brackets that attach to the car? It does need to be the Empi towbar, not a knock-off.

Huge thanks in advance if someone has that. pray.gif
balljoint
You dont get much of a drop. 4 inches if the bar is level. And you want the bar to be as level as possible.
wingnut86
I bought mine from a gent off of the Club site 3 years ago. His is a complete adaptor set that supports 2 different tow bars, the solid one and the collapsable bar units will both work I believe. I purchased the solid tow bar separate.

Agreed that it's a low rider, dropped hitch required. I've used mine twice - both between 60-65mph highway speeds with bungee cord steering wheel locks for wobble adjustment;--)

Let me know if you need further details and I'll try to find his name or take pictures of the rig tomorrow...
wingnut86
EDIT Earlier Post.

David Lee out of Texas builds the package I bought for the 914.

Thanks David!!!

His website is http://www.rennenmetal.com/products.asp?id=2

Good guy. He's selling project parts for one of his cars online currently here.

Good luck,

Dave
MoveQik
Thanks. I spoke with David already about his bracket, that is the only way to go IMO. I am just trying to decide which tow bar I am going to be able to use for my application.
sixnotfour
Just because your tires will be on the road, and odometer counting the miles...........Still doesn't count as you driving it there. bs.gif
wingnut86
...just add a blow-up doll of choice to the front seat, a PCA baseball cap and one of those little 9vdc engine sound generators that kids like to use on their bicycles.

Evil has one I think rolleyes.gif

With luck, everyone with partial blindness will assume that the asshole in the 914 is following that nice gent ahead of him too close happy11.gif

And, the driver of the 914 can say "they" drove it there beer.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2012, 07:36 AM) *

Just because your tires will be on the road, and odometer counting the miles...........Still doesn't count as you driving it there. bs.gif

Says the guy that trailer's his car for any little road trip.....
JRust
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 26 2012, 03:40 PM) *

Does anyone have the Empi Super Beetle towbar(part #3131-7) that they could provide me with how much of a drop there is from the hitch to the brackets that attach to the car? It does need to be the Empi towbar, not a knock-off.

I've got one at home. I'll take a look tonight & get you pics with measurements
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 27 2012, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 26 2012, 03:40 PM) *

I've got one at home. I'll take a look tonight & get you pics with measurements

Thanks Jamie. That is what I was looking for, actual measurements. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
I use the Rennenmetal one but will have to drop the hitch a bit more. I'd like to get the tow bar to be a bit of a flatter angle.
wingnut86
Yep. That's my setup as well. Dropped a good bit for flatness though...
Elliot Cannon
Here's another pic that better shows the angle. I'll get a lower hitch attachment if I ever tow it again. My hitch is in my hangar but if you REALLY nead it, I'll go and measure if for you.
balljoint
I did measure mine for you Michael. The total height of the tow bar sitting with the lower bars level to the ground is only 6 inches. The pin brackets are up a bit higher so you only get 4" of drop from your hitch. What kind of angle you are comfortable with the tow bar at is another story. The greater the drop you rely on the tow bar for the greater the angle it sits at. The greater the angle of the tow bar the more forces from the x axis are transferred into the y axis. At this point it depends a lot on the tow vehicle. To a point that is. You don't want your trailer lifting the rear of your truck during any kind of braking conditions.

MoveQik
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 AM) *

I did measure mine for you Michael. The total height of the tow bar sitting with the lower bars level to the ground is only 6 inches. The pin brackets are up a bit higher so you only get 4" of drop from your hitch. What kind of angle you are comfortable with the tow bar at is another story. The greater the drop you rely on the tow bar for the greater the angle it sits at. The greater the angle of the tow bar the more forces from the x axis are transferred into the y axis. At this point it depends a lot on the tow vehicle. To a point that is. You don't want your trailer lifting the rear of your truck during any kind of braking conditions.

Thanks Dave. I am looking to pull the car with an RV an avoid the hassle of a trailer. Trailers are a pain in RV parks as far as parking etc. So it looks like the David Lee set up will work perfectly. I have looked at all sorts of options for protecting the car and I think I am going to go with THIS.
AZ914
Mike, that is exactly the tow bar setup you need to avoid pulling the valance.

I don't know if its the EMPI brand, but go over to thesamba dot com to the classified section and search for it. There is a guy there selling tow bars for about 80. It should fit the SB mounts.
JRust
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 28 2012, 05:01 AM) *

Hey Mike his measurents are spot on with mine. Flat towing is a great way to go. Good luck
balljoint
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 28 2012, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 AM) *

Thanks Dave. I am looking to pull the car with an RV an avoid the hassle of a trailer. Trailers are a pain in RV parks as far as parking etc. So it looks like the David Lee set up will work perfectly. I have looked at all sorts of options for protecting the car and I think I am going to go with THIS.

If that tow bar will fit the pin location on the bracket then it will work, is it adjustable? I know the EMPI bar is not adjustable but the bracket is made to fit it. That bar doesn't look to give any drop at all but your receiver on your mobile home is probably pretty low to start with. On top of that, I don't imagine a 914 would lift the rear wheels of your RV off the ground. laugh.gif

Edit: Oh that's just the skirt your towbar will be wearing to protect the car. Nevermind. rolleyes.gif
wingnut86
Michael,

I like that Ass-Bra a lot dude. Now to make it look like that behind your motor-home, all you need is to raise your teener up a bit with a kit like this...

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Mar 28 2012, 03:24 PM) *

Michael,

I like that Ass-Bra a lot dude. Now to make it look like that behind your motor-home, all you need is to raise your teener up a bit with a kit like this...

biggrin.gif

Nice! Actually, the reason for my question was I was worried the the Empi bar might drop too low as the hitch on the back of the RV is fairly low. After talking to David Lee and the info here, it looks like it will be a perfect fit. driving.gif

I have a heavy duty tow set up that would work perfectly with David Lee's bracket if I didn't mind removing the valance when towing. However, since the Empi bar is so cheap I don't mind buying it just for the 914. Now the bar(and auxiliary braking system) I have for towing the Suburban.....that was not so cheap. dry.gif
wingnut86
Holy Crap.

You are pulling a Suburban then a 914 behind that??

Good luck maaan. With the Suburbans seats down, can't you just slide the 914 inside on a large cookie sheet biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.