Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 1 Engine in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Justinp71
So with all the engine conversions being done on 914's for cheap hp, how come we don't see more type 1 conversions? Still air cooled, so there's no radiator and no cutting up the body. I'm sure there must be some downfalls, but what are they?

You can buy a brand new 2332 engine kit capable of ~180-200 hp for $2400...

http://www.scatvw.com/master/engine_kits/
Justinp71
Thanks Brett, it still looks like no one has chimed in yet having one in a 914. Rico Suave looks like he had to put alot of coolers on his to keep it cool, but sounds like he might have had a monster turbo motor?

Just seems like a good alternative to a subaru swap, sounds simple and just as expensive if not cheaper...

btw, I'm not trying to do one myself. Just as a owner of a 2110 type 1 in my sandrail (cost me $1300 for 165hp), seems like they would be a good fit for a 914 too... (for a 150-200hp option). Also btw I do have a 96 fin oil cooler on mine, but the whole kit cost less than $100.
Mark Henry
My buddy has a close to stock type one in a 911 running with no issues. He's originally from the Buffalo, NY and runs down to see relatives 2-3 times a year, 225miles (363kms) one way.
1973-914-2L
my eyes burn ...... headbang.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Mar 27 2012, 04:12 PM) *

You're welcome. biggrin.gif
Justinp71
Wow, stock bug motor in a 911, that is the exact opposite of a sleeper, whatever that is. Atleast its an improvement on the handling...lol.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Mar 27 2012, 01:12 PM) *

ROTFLMAO!!!!
SirAndy
Where's the pic of the T1 backwards in a 914 making it a tail-dragger?
icon8.gif
Justinp71
Hmm.. I have a spare type 1 case and an extra 901, I can check to see how they mate up...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Hmm.. I have a spare type 1 case and an extra 901, I can check to see how they mate up...

I know it can be done smile.gif

http://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Jake Raby
If you like to stimulate the Chinese economy, I can't think of any better way to do it than building a Type 1 these days. Its cheap and you will get exactly what you pay for.
76-914
I was wondering when Jake would chime in. He must be tired because you got off lightly. My first VW experience was via a Karamnn Ghia. I used to have to listen to Jake pop and then leave with his std departure. Too bad I'll never own a T1 again. It really used to get me. 6 years later I got into 914's and have 2. I've driven my Ghia <300 miles in 3 years. Would I put a T1 in a 914. Only if I could also have a Harley with a Honda 50cc power plant. shades.gif
Jake Raby
I cut my teeth on T1 engines and until about 3 years ago we had built more T1 engines in the history of the company than TIV engines.

Too bad its all junk these days.
Mark Henry
My 2007cc in my bus (this is the 4th car it's been in) is 21years old and I beat on it every summer. They can be built right.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 27 2012, 05:41 PM) *

Only if I could also have a Harley with a Honda 50cc power plant. shades.gif

At least it would be faster and bolts wouldn't fall off. biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 27 2012, 12:43 PM) *

My buddy has a close to stock type one in a 911 running with no issues. He's originally from the Buffalo, NY and runs down to see relatives 2-3 times a year, 225miles (363kms) one way.

Mark what year 911?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 27 2012, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 27 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Mark what year 911?

IIRC a '71T, but I know for sure it has a 901 trans.

BTW I've put a 901 in my bug, but it's getting a type 4.
dlee6204
Click to view attachment driving-girl.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:05 PM) *

Yes, that's the one! lol-2.gif
ripper911
WTF.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2012, 12:29 PM) *

Where's the pic of the T1 backwards in a 914 making it a tail-dragger?
icon8.gif

biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
ape914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 27 2012, 01:21 PM) *

If you like to stimulate the Chinese economy, I can't think of any better way to do it than building a Type 1 these days. Its cheap and you will get exactly what you pay for.

I say bull, you can get some really fine type I motor parts that are not made in china. There is some high quality stuff being made for them. There has been much more developement of the type I in the aftermarket than many realize. Many good quality parts are made right here in America.

That said, there are plenty of trash parts made for the type I AND type IV that come from china and elsewhere. you got to research the quality of the parts, before you buy.

scotty b
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:23 PM) *

Wow, stock bug motor in a 911, that is the exact opposite of a sleeper, whatever that is.

A narcaleptic
Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 27 2012, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:23 PM) *

Wow, stock bug motor in a 911, that is the exact opposite of a sleeper, whatever that is.

A narcaleptic

I've driven this car and it's not that bad, obviously no power but it goes down the road at highway speeds and the hills (northern Ontario) don't seem to bother it.
The owner is a friend who's a bit eccentric and he built this car for his two teenage daughters who drove it in senior HS and one into college. My bet is they had the coolest car in HS, all the show just no go. I doubt if any of the kids knew it had a bug engine. The car itself is in VG condition but it's an SC clone targa.

What did you drive in HS?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ape914 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:53 PM) *

I say bull, you can get some really fine type I motor parts that are not made in china. There is some high quality stuff being made for them. There has been much more developement of the type I in the aftermarket than many realize. Many good quality parts are made right here in America.

That said, there are plenty of trash parts made for the type I AND type IV that come from china and elsewhere. you got to research the quality of the parts, before you buy.

Yeah, spend 5K for a pair of heads and find chamber deficiencies, valve lengths varying over .100" and then have the vendor argue with you about how they did all of that crap "to add performance". The best part was Chinese Titanium valves.

The high quality parts are few and far between, look hard enough and even the high end parts have substandard traits.

And with the prices these guys were throwing around earlier, ALL those parts would be Chinese, Brazilian, Indian or from some other armpit of the earth.
ape914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 27 2012, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ape914 @ Mar 27 2012, 04:53 PM) *

Yeah, spend 5K for a pair of heads and find chamber deficiencies, valve lengths varying over .100" and then have the vendor argue with you about how they did all of that crap "to add performance". The best part was Chinese Titanium valves.

The high quality parts are few and far between, look hard enough and even the high end parts have substandard traits.

And with the prices these guys were throwing around earlier, ALL those parts would be Chinese, Brazilian, Indian or from some other armpit of the earth.

You can spend a lot less than 5 grand for a pair of good USA made heads,and that includes valves and machine work. Dont dismiss the type I like this, it aint true that you cant get quality parts, for a resonable price.

Granted there is plenty of chinese or even American type IV "junk" made and V-8 junk made, and etc..... That dont mean you cant still find quality. Your blanket statements on the type I' parts is not at all correct.

Be smart in your shoping and you can get quality. (type I or type IV) The truth is china can make some darn good stuff too, maybe not for our engines yet. The popular I-phone, is made in china to very high standards. If you make a living converting type I cars to type IV you may want folks to believe that you cant build a reasonable type I motor, but that is not the whole truth.
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
1973-914-2L
there sure is a lot on both side of this ... I put a copy of that pic over st the bird and wow did I get blasted from both sides .....
Prospectfarms
You'd almost have to put the T1 in back to clear the fan as the photo's show.

You could lay the fan down like a T3, but that would require some work. Then you'd need to flip the ringy thingy in the t-axle to make everything turn in the correct direction. Right? By then you may have spent the same same money as fixing up the T4 engine. Maybe that's why few have done it.

No one on PP site have 912T? I've seen a few of them with T1 retrofits.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 28 2012, 12:47 AM) *

Then you'd need to flip the ringy thingy in the t-axle to make everything turn in the correct direction. Right?

Sorry wrong, all VW engines turn clockwise. Type 4 in a bus still turns the same way as in a 914.
You only flip the diff if you're turning the transmission around.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Mar 28 2012, 12:21 AM) *

there sure is a lot on both side of this ... I put a copy of that pic over st the bird and wow did I get blasted from both sides .....

I would have appreciated a heads up on that. dry.gif

I wouldn't say you got blasted confused24.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...s-seen-yet.html
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 28 2012, 10:12 AM) *

Then you'd need to flip the ringy thingy in the t-axle to make everything turn in the correct direction. Right?

Sorry wrong, all VW engines turn clockwise. Type 4 in a bus still turns the same way as in a 914.

Thanks, I know they all rotate in the same direction but 914 transmission is behind the motor. All AC VW's I know of have the tranny in front of motor. I guess what I should have said is "unless you want a taildragger, as in the photograph, you'd have to reverse...." Tell me if I'm wrong. Abstract spacial reasoning is not my strong-suit.
Prospectfarms
I didn't notice blasting on this forum? I thought ist was a fun thread.
Prospectfarms
...or will a 901 "bolt up" to a type 1? I seem to remember a small difference in the clutch/flywheel diameter. Not important/not my thread, just thinking "out loud."
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 28 2012, 10:25 AM) *

Thanks, I know they all rotate in the same direction but 914 transmission is behind the motor. All AC VW's I know of have the tranny in front of motor. I guess what I should have said is "unless you want a taildragger, as in the photograph, you'd have to reverse...." Tell me if I'm wrong. Abstract spacial reasoning is not my strong-suit.

Yes, if you turn the tranny around then you have to flip the diff. In a 914 if you turned the tranny around you would have quite the engineering job to hook up the linkage. My guess is they are using a 911-901 or a bug/bus tranny, no flip required.

To me that's quite the hack job, at least what is done to my bud's 911 and putting a T1 in a 914 with the correct orientation is reversable and doesn't hack the body at all.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 28 2012, 10:43 AM) *

...or will a 901 "bolt up" to a type 1? I seem to remember a small difference in the clutch/flywheel diameter. Not important/not my thread, just thinking "out loud."

It bolts right up, but I do believe there's a release bearing mod. Type 1 flywheel is 200mm, 914 is 215mm and they have the same ring gear.
Not 100% on this, as I've never tried it myself, but I do remember my buddy saying it wasn't too difficult.
balljoint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 27 2012, 11:36 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

bye1.gif
ape914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 28 2012, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 28 2012, 10:43 AM) *

It bolts right up, but I do believe there's a release bearing mod. Type 1 flywheel is 200mm, 914 is 215mm and they have the same ring gear.
Not 100% on this, as I've never tried it myself, but I do remember my buddy saying it wasn't too difficult.

It is common for V-8 conversions to use a modified VW Bug type flywheel on the V-8 to mate to the 914 tranny
ape914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 28 2012, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 28 2012, 10:25 AM) *

Yes, if you turn the tranny around then you have to flip the diff. In a 914 if you turned the tranny around you would have quite the engineering job to hook up the linkage. My guess is they are using a 911-901 or a bug/bus tranny, no flip required.

To me that's quite the hack job, at least what is done to my bud's 911 and putting a T1 in a 914 with the correct orientation is reversable and doesn't hack the body at all.

just a note on the Bus tranny's, the early bus trannys had the ring gear flipped so it ran opposite direction than in a Bug, the reason is the early buses (split window type) has an extra gear reduction box at each rear wheel, which reversed the rotation.

to run the set up in the photo,a stock bug tranny and a stock bug motor will work in the 914 so long as the motor is in the back (like in the photo) If you set up the bug motor in the middle with tranny in the rear you use a early bus tranny to correct rotation or you flip the gear in a Bug tranny.
Woody
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 27 2012, 10:36 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
Lots of info on how, but why?
ape914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 28 2012, 08:27 AM) *

Cause they love what's theirs, becuase what is theirs is all theirs, and that gives them reason to go get more. That is why.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ape914 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:35 AM) *

Cause they love what's theirs, becuase what is theirs is all theirs, and that gives them reason to go get more. That is why.

Whats a theirs? poke.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 28 2012, 12:27 PM) *

Highschool or college student, no money, blown engine, good bug engine sitting in the corner of the garage, no hack to the car itself.....

I can think of a few reasons. smile.gif
ape914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 28 2012, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ape914 @ Mar 28 2012, 11:35 AM) *

Whats a theirs? poke.gif

it would be what mine is, if it was yours. But since it is theirs, it is not mine, it is theirs, do you mine? (errr... mind) ugh, never mind. now their, (err... there) oh my, my mine hurts now (err...mind hurts, not mine) over load over load, does not compute
TheCabinetmaker
Well, thats easy for you to say!!!!!
ape914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 28 2012, 09:12 AM) *

Well, thats easy for you to say!!!!!

I know, I feel like I am in the middle of a mindfield (err...minefield), it ain't easy for me
Prospectfarms
I salute the 911 mod. An updated 912. Fun.

The 914 is weirder. Mid-engine is one of the best things about the car, but like MH said, for a young person with more time than money, it might be cheap fun.

Thanks very much for those really entertaining photo's!
Dr Evil
The 911 swap make perfect sense to me. The 914, that is just sad...
TheCabinetmaker
I'm with ya doc. If you can't afford to keep the mid engine in a 914, sell it and buy a bug. Graduate from college, get a job, then buy a 914 and do it right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.