Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So is this an original tire on this fuchs rim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GaroldShaffer
I have been researching this for the days. I have a 4 bolt Fuch rim with an Michelin SR tire. This was a spare tire in a 73 2.0L that was totaled a few years ago.

I can't find anything to confirm this would be an original tire. I asked Brad Mayuer and he told me the wheel weight is original, but he doesn't remember seeing a SR rated tire on a 2.0 car.

Any advise? confused24.gif
tod914
Same one that's on my steel spare! Sure is Garold.
Tom_T
Hate to break it to you Gerald & Tod, but that 165SR15 ZX would NOT have left the factory on a 2.0. The 2.0s were ALL (GA & GC) spec'd for 165HR15 due to their higher top speed capability than the 1.7 & 1.8 914s - which were the ones spec'd with SR rated tires.

It's more likely in both cases, your respective 914s' spares were replaced by the dealer before selling it - and if they were stealing the 2L Fuchs spare to sell & replacing them with steelies (as happened on mine) - why not shave a few more bucks off & only use the cheaper SR rated tires!!?? dry.gif

The other likely thing was that the SRs were put on by PO's on an early replacement - either to save a few bucks on a rarely used spare, or because HRs were NLA as of 79-80. For my last set of 4 tires in 1980 I had to settle for a set of 165SR15 Klebers, because everyone had stopped making & selling the 165HR15s! sad.gif

Those stick-on VW & similar Porsche branded weights were available up through at least the mid-1980s - if you got your tires done at the dealerships, or if you ordered them as parts to give to your tire guys. I'd bet you can still get "branded" stick-on weights from VW &/or Porsche too (last time I checked parts dept. anyway), although they'd probably have an updated part no. stamped/cast in them.

So Guys, your SR tire/wheel could've been on the car when first sold, or changed later - but it wasn't what left the factory, unless it was an error (i.e.: similar to the "wrong" non-hub-centric Fuchs 2L & Mahle/Pedrini wheels that went out on some early 73's up through Dec 72, which resulted in recalls by Porsche+Audi to check all 73 alloys for -01 part no. & hub-centric machining, or replace).

PS - it certainly looks like a never or very minimally used spare tire!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
GaroldShaffer
Thanks Tom, that confirms what Brad told me. So let me ask this, is there any value to the tire itself? I know the Fuch rim has value. This tire & rim as well as another set of Fuchs I have belongs to my wifes cousin. He has asked my help in selling off some of his extra 914 parts.
tod914
I know the original owner of mine, had the alloy wheels swapped out for steel wheels at the time of purchase. Must of came from a 1.8, I would pressume? Mine is definetly the way it left the dealership. Would a COA confirm which type of alloys the car had?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 27 2012, 07:16 PM) *
... is this an original tire on this fuch rim? ... I have a 4 bolt Fuch rim ... I know the Fuch rim has value ...

Fuchs, not Fuch. The "s" is kinda important ...
rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
Tires these days all have a date code. That at least should tell you if your tire is in the range.

shades.gif
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 28 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Tires these days all have a date code. That at least should tell you if your tire is in the range.

shades.gif

yup build date smile.gif ...and they say tire are only good for 5 years? im up in the air on that one ...i think i depends on how they are treated from new ...maybe April 1993......last of the build # is 493.....just guess n
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.