Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend Race car deconstruction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
Been a good weekend. Got quiet a bit done here are some of the pics of the weekend.

Here is what I started with Sat morning. I built the rolly car and remounted the car so now I can move it all over the world.
Brett W
Off with Her head.
Aaron Cox
woohooo! whats fenders are you going to run?
Brett W
The rust monster never sleeps. Who ever did the work on this car before me must have installed a rusty fender and then covered it up with the seam sealer and undercoat.
Brett W
There goes the fenders. Gonna be easy to clean now.
Brett W
asdasdasd
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 27 2004, 02:30 PM)
The rust monster never sleeps. Who ever did the work on this car before me must have installed a rusty fender and then covered it up with the seam sealer and undercoat.

that is a weak spot. the factory filled it with some kind of foam to prevent water from getting in there. well, after 15 years or so, the foam starts to crack, traps the water and you know the rest.
almost ALL the 914s i have seen had rust in there. the only time i have seen a clean one was where the fender had been replaced with a brand new one at one time and the bodyshop left it open with no foam.

icon8.gif Andy
Brett W
Me in the car. I am going for the lowest most laid back seating position possible.
Lou W
WOW, that rust looks like it's been there a while, what a mess, what are you gonna do?
Brett W
Grandma drivin, don't even get in fronnt of me. I can't even see over the steering wheel.
Lou W
QUOTE (Brett W @ Sep 27 2004, 02:30 PM)

that is a weak spot. the factory filled it with some kind of foam to prevent water from getting in there. well, after 15 years or so, the foam starts to crack, traps the water and you know the rest.
almost ALL the 914s i have seen had rust in there. the only time i have seen a clean one was where the fender had been replaced with a brand new one at one time and the bodyshop left it open with no foam.

Andy

I hope mine doesn't look like that, I'd like to think that someone installed a rusty fender. ohmy.gif
Brett W
For the most part the rust is gone. When I cut the fender and some of the attachment tabs that got most of it. There is a little bit inside the door hinge plate, but getting to that is not a big problem now that the fender is gone. I'll probably just cut out the back side and have a look around then weld back some good metal. Will solve the problem.

I am not sure about the fenders yet. I may run Sheridan because they are a little more aero but I like the look of the M/R stuff, Baker style flares. The problem is alot of the flares on the market are meant for much wider tire than EP allows so there is a lot of unneccesary width in the flares.
machina
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 27 2004, 06:03 PM)
I am not sure about the fenders yet. I may run Sheridan because they are a little more aero but I like the look of the M/R stuff, Baker style flares.

brett,

can you run fenders like the sheridan type in EP?

I don't think so.

Also, those things are going to kill your top speed at the end of the straights, mucho drag. driving.gif
SirAndy
around here they don't let you run the chopped off windshield 914s anymore unless the car was build way back when and has a logbook ...

sad.gif Andy
URY914
You need to add a strut from the door hinge plate mounting point back to the latch plate mount. It will help to keep it from bending in the middle.

See the angle I added in this picture.
Brett W
Fenders are pretty much free. Can't be a 1 peice front end. Can replace the whole fender with a fiberglass replica. See my dilemna. Drag is bad. I may have to make my own fenders. I hope not.

The chassis will be mounted on a chassis jig shortly. I just have to order materials and build it.

914 is allowed to run open or closed prep. No late model cars can run open any more.
Jeroen
You may wanna check HPH for the fenders...
Brett W
I wish I had some pics of Rich's stuff.
914Timo
Is that same car in your avatar ??

If it is, what you are going to do with that front chrome bumper ??
groot
Looking good!

By now you see the need to lower the steering wheel and extend it towards the driver. Otherwise your front hoop will be way up in the air.

I was worried about being too low in my car. I can't see the fenders while seated. But, once I'm in it on the track, no problem.
ChrisFoley
Check with Steve Limbert at Aircooled Racing in PA for fenders.
Brett W
Timo
I am selling you the bumper, right?

Kevin that is something I wanted to talk to you about.

Chris
I am going to be calling you tonight. You going to be around.
Tony C
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 27 2004, 03:08 PM)
around here they don't let you run the chopped off windshield 914s anymore unless the car was build way back when and has a logbook ...

sad.gif Andy

Yes they do in Production class. In GT no. Brad has been telling people you can't for 2-3 years and he is STILL wrong!

-tony sawzall-smiley.gif
groot
Ask away....

Steering wheel location or visibility???
Brett W
I'll give you a call tonight.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 28 2004, 08:23 AM)
I wish I had some pics of Rich's stuff.

Search for pics of Bill Pickering's car (ninecats)
ChrisFoley
I'll be around. Feel free to call.
Brad Roberts
We cannot cut the windshields off IN PCA and you cannot cut the windshields off in SCCA GT2. I made the mistake ONCE and everyone took it as the gospel.. jeez.

B
Tony C
happy11.gif

-tony
ChrisFoley
Actually, the current GT rules still allow 914s to cut off the roof, since it is a previously classified car. Only new classifications must be full roof body style. You guys gotta learn to read. bootyshake.gif
Tony C
idea.gif

That wasn't how the original "fastrack" amendment was written, but I just checked the current GCR, and there it is.

-tony
914Timo
I am selling you the bumper, right?

Heh, maybe...... I will sen you e-mail. I am looking for a good chromed front bumper.
nein14-6
Question, does the Ginther style windscreen cover/replace the piece of sheet metal that is in front of the stock windshield that the wiper and fresh air vent were mounted to? In other words on a new project that I am working on, that piece is very rusty and I would like to remove it. Does the windscreen cover that panel?

Thanks
crash914
come on, tell us that you made Vroom Vroom noises when you sat in it..... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.