Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LvSteveH
1976 2.0L. Just picked it up yesterday, it got "Tagged" (I believe that is the lingo for being abused by bored teenagers with no sense of morality or self-respect) about 4 years ago, and the older owners just parked it in the garage. They said it was running fine and driven daily when it happened, but they just didn’t have it in them to clean it up and drive it again.

Anyway, they were asking $1000, and I got it for $800, it “supposedly” only has 76k original miles and they are only the second owners, having had it for 12 years. I can’t say that anything disputes the mileage, it’s very original and all the smog equipment is there. It’s a non-catalyst car, so that’s good. I just thought everyone would enjoy the pic. You should have seen me cleaning that crap off before my wife saw it, I was embarrassed having it on my trailer, but it’s much better now.

I pulled the rockers off and the longs look great, unfortunatly the rear window leaked and the floor wasn't as lucky, but that's an easy fix. I can't get to the hell hole yet, too much stuff in the way, but it has the rain tray still, so maybe it won't be too bad. The trunks look like new, at least something on it does.

ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
that came outta slits's neighborhood rolleyes.gif
LvSteveH
Oh, this is the after pic, much better, probably worth at least $10 more, it's amazing what a roll of paper towels and laquer thinner can do. Unfortunately it took off quite a bit of paint too, but anything is better than it was.
Joe Bob
Looks like it spent some time in east LA.....
Trekkor
Arrrgh!!! headbang.gif

You coulda got it all off with heavy duty rubbing compound on a wheel.

If the thinner didn't wreck the paint, try the compound.

KT
LvSteveH
It needed paint anyway so no harm done, I just couldn't be seen in my neighborhood with it the way it was. You should have seen the looks I got. I guess some of us are sheltered. The funny thing is the neighborhood I bought it in didn't seem that bad. It's tempting to just drain the gas, change the oil, and fire it up, but I'm trying to be good.
Trekkor
forget good...I'm out here running my SIX on a pallet. lol2.gif

Run it.

KT
McMark
Damn, I would have loved to drive around in that car with the graffiti. Total RAT ROD.
LvSteveH
Well, I pulled the interior today, and the minor floor section is gonna be major work, once I got the backpad off, it was obvious that rust started to work its way up the firewall. I’m still puzzled about one thing. When I started to rip the rotten floor section away along with all the normal debris was a ton of sand. Then, when I popped the tar mat off the oval inspection hole in the inner longitudinal it was full of sand too. I couldn’t for the life of me figure it out, but then it occurred to me that if it ever had a previous hell-hole repair, and they sand blasted it, maybe they left 15 pounds of sand in the car and it shot up into the longs and who knows where else. Any other ideas on where it could come from? Sand was actually on top of the heater tube in the long.

Just what I needed, another 914 “project”. I have five other “project” 914’s, I really hoped this one would be an easy driver, oh well. At least when I’m done with it, it will be right, and the rest of the car is very straight and solid.

sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.