Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 AC compressor mounting brackets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967
I am in the fab process of my new V8 914 with 930 transaxle with steel flares. This one is going to be special as it will have AC. At 44 years of age and sporting a new artificial hip, it is time to build a 914 street rod with a bit of comfort. The AC will ensure that my wife will find the PCA and MUSR events more enjoyable. Heck, in Houston, is is almost a necessity in June/July.

Do any V8 914 owners have any pictures of their AC compressor brackets that they are proud to show? I took a look at Renengades serpentine plate and Desert Hybrids square tube arrangements and would like to make up something in between that uses standard V belts.

Please post pics of what you are running.

David Lee
Bruce Hinds
Proud to show.... not too sure about that. Actually I'll have to search, the photos were taken before the digital picture days so I'd have to find them to scan.

Easily explained, my Renegade water pump is on the passenger side with the expansion tank. I mounted the centrifugal compressor low on the left with a double pully on it, then mounted the alternator on top of that. Since there is only room for two belts on the harmonic balancer. I can run a short belt from the A/C compressor to the alternator. Works great.

The nice thing about this set up is you can stagger the alternator aft so you don't have a firewall interference problem. The only issue is the compressor has to mount kind of far from the engine to clear the renegade motor mount but the long belt works fine as long as you plan on putting in an idler pully which also makes it easier to adjust the long belt.
pdlightning
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Mar 28 2012, 01:31 PM) *

I am in the fab process of my new V8 914 with 930 transaxle with steel flares. This one is going to be special as it will have AC. At 44 years of age and sporting a new artificial hip, it is time to build a 914 street rod with a bit of comfort. The AC will ensure that my wife will find the PCA and MUSR events more enjoyable. Heck, in Houston, is is almost a necessity in June/July.

Do any V8 914 owners have any pictures of their AC compressor brackets that they are proud to show? I took a look at Renengades serpentine plate and Desert Hybrids square tube arrangements and would like to make up something in between that uses standard V belts.

Please post pics of what you are running.

David Lee

David, Mike here (996 calipers)

Are you doing a SBC or LS motor like I am? I know the stock 2011 grand sport a/c mount works great on the LS, but there are several options online for the SBC.

The LS motor has more issues for fitting depending on whether you are using stock water pump or electric. If SBC many options are available on a simple search.
dlee1967
I am running a cast iron 383 sbc (one piece rear seal block) with aluminum Brodix heads and Weber (Edelbrock) MP fuel injection. I realize that there might be more options for the LS series, but I like the parts cost for the old lump. DLee

914GT
This picture may not be too helpful but can give you some idea of what I did. It's been on there a few years now without any problems. I should have some more pictures filed away if interested.

IPB Image

Guy T
dlee1967
Thanks Guy. That is more of what I have in mind, but will mount it on the passengers side as my alt is there and water pump is on the drivers side. Although I am using a front mounted condensor, I will still use the original routing holes for the dealer installed lines.

If you have a front view showing you mounting points at the head and block, that would be great, but I get the idea if you do not. DLee
914GT
Here another pic David. Essentially I used what brackets and 1/2" tubing scraps I had laying around at the time. Someday I may revisit this for a more elegant set-up. But since it works well as-is there's little motivation for me to do that. With this arrangement I adjust the compressor belt first then the alternator belt. I had an alternator fail once and swapped it out real easy without disturbing the compressor.

IPB Image

Guy T.
Bruce Hinds
That's just the way I did mine, except the alternator is on top. I didn't like how low the alternator is there. The compressor has to be a little farther out for the motor mount, but that is okay with the idler pulley and it puts the alternator right next to the circut board.
dlee1967
Thanks guys. I will start working on this over the Easter weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.