Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Spark Plug do you like?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
I have a73 2.0, stock, except for the pertronix electonic ignition module. Which spark plugs are recommended for normal cruising, not a daily driver, some say Bosch and some say NGK. Also I have heard you gap the plugs different if you have the electronic ignition module, all comments appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
yeahmag
NGK B6ES is what I ran. Now I run the NGK B6ES-11 with the CDI. The "-11" denotes that it is pre-gapped at a .044".

Series9
Bosch copper or NGK copper.

Forget about the platinum crap.
SLITS
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 28 2012, 04:13 PM) *

Bosch copper or NGK copper.

Forget about the platinum crap.

agree.gif

Generally, I run nothing but Bosch Copper, but NGKs are great too!
struckn
The local Parts Store didn't have the Bosch but did have Champion COPPER plugs which are in the car and running great, gapped at .040 with Pertronics Ignitor ignition and Flame Thrower coil. Time will tell.

Could gap larger up to .050 I'm told which increases the life of the plugs due to the
larger spark the Pertronics throws across the gap, which is a good burn.

idea.gif
Aaron Cox
NGK B6ES with mallory CDI and Coil
3d914
Ian,

I had a stock 74 2.0L with pertronix - always ran the NGK-BP5ES. The BP6ES ran hotter, so I stayed with the 5's. I'm in AZ so cooler was better - maybe not your concern.
yeahmag
What do you mean by "ran hotter"?
Ian Stott
What did you gap the NGK 5ES at with the Petronix? I heard you could widen the gap but didn't know by how much, I did hear it was better than points. Does a hotter plug have more spark??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
last337
I am unable to find the NGK B6ES anywhere. Pelican lists the NGK BP6ES as the plug for the 914.

My local parts store has some copper NGKs but they are not the ones listed on Pelicans site.
SLITS
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 30 2012, 05:12 PM) *

What did you gap the NGK 5ES at with the Petronix? I heard you could widen the gap but didn't know by how much, I did hear it was better than points. Does a hotter plug have more spark??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Spark plugs are rated in "heat range". Below is a link to at least one discussion ..

And a "hotter" spark plug does not have more spark.

Hot vs Cold
yeahmag
Push comes to shove you can order them:

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-B6ES-Traditional...g/dp/B000CJ3X4O
reharvey
So what's wrong with the Bosch Platinum plugs?
reharvey
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 8 2013, 05:28 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
Bills914-4
I perfer the BP6ET it's a triple tip , Bill D.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ET-Spa...-16-p/bp6et.htm
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 8 2013, 02:28 PM) *

Other than they're junk, you mean?

Here's a question for you. If they cost less wholesale than the corresponding copper plug, and they sell for more, what's the counter person gonna push?

They just don't perform well in VW and Porsche engines. Or BMWs, either, for that matter.

The Cap'n
edwin
I'm running br6es in mine. Couldn't find in any auto stores but turns out they are common in bikes. Had heaps in stock
I tried a set of Bosch platinum plugs in my Saab daily driver and couldn't rev over 4k. Was like hitting a hard cut rev limit
Edwin
steuspeed
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Jan 8 2013, 03:07 PM) *

I perfer the BP6ET it's a triple tip , Bill D.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ET-Spa...-16-p/bp6et.htm

Looks like a nice plug. driving.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 8 2013, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 8 2013, 05:28 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

It's true, they are filled with popcorn. beerchug.gif
reharvey

[/quote]

popcorn[1].gif
[/quote]

It's true, they are filled with popcorn. beerchug.gif

I had no idea that the Bosch Platinum plugs are so bad for our cars!

dry.gif
Mark Henry
If you are running a Petronix with a stock blue coil run the stock gap.
If running MSD, CDI, etc you run a much larger gap.

A Petronix by itself is basically just a signal/switch.
last337
Okay so I am so confused now. If you do a parts search on NGK's site for '73 914 2.0 you get a recommendation for BR6ES.

If you go to Pelican or autoatlanta they list the BP6ES and BP5ES.

Autozone lists the BPR6ES or BPR5ES.

Is there a problem with running any of those as opposed to B6ES plugs? I am not sure what the difference is.

After looking a bit I found this handy dandy decoder. From this it looks like only difference between B6ES and BP6ES is the projected insulator. Not that I know what that means or if it is okay wacko.gif

http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125ngkcode.html
edwin
From what I've read the bp6es is fine to but why not use the correct one?
The r just reduces noise for radio and in my case efi
last337
QUOTE(edwin @ Jan 9 2013, 02:42 PM) *

From what I've read the bp6es is fine to but why not use the correct one?
The r just reduces noise for radio and in my case efi

Mainly I just wanted an option that was available locally rather than waiting a few days for them to come in.
john_g
QUOTE(3d914 @ Mar 29 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Ian,

I had a stock 74 2.0L with pertronix - always ran the NGK-BP5ES. The BP6ES ran hotter, so I stayed with the 5's. I'm in AZ so cooler was better - maybe not your concern.

Gerard,
Mark me confused confused24.gif
The AutoAtlanta parts site claims that the 6 is a cooler plug than the 5?? They recommend the 5 for normal driving and the 6 for "spirited" driving.
Drums66
...Bosch copper also!... shades.gif
popcorn[1].gif
RSrocket
NGK BP6ES thumb3d.gif on a stock 2.0L w/44 IDF's, MSD & Blaster coil, .040 gap.

IIRC, the "R" denotes a resistor plug & on NGK plugs the higher the number the cooler the plug is. Opposite of Bosch plugs.

BTW, I use to use Bosch until they changed their #ing system. Now it's NGK all the way.

Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.