Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914/4 1.8 efi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shortcircuit
I have a 74' 914 4 cyl. 1.8........sat for 15 years before i found it. Ok, put new injectors, vacuum hoses, fuel pump, new plugs, wires, points, coil, cap, button, condenser....battery, fuel filter....but before this stuff, I took the tank out...drained it as well...fresh gas...bought another used control unit and STILL it won't run on it's own. Squirt it with a shot of ether and walah...for a second then dead again. No pulsing from my brain box apparently. Anyone have a clue as to what else I should do? Thought once about taking it to Benny Hinn. huh.gif
jim912928
Do you hear the injectors clicking? Easy test is to take off the distributer cap, turn on the ignition, then open and close the points (don't use a screwdriver..use something that will not carry electricity). You should hear all the injectors firing (will be a snapping/clicking sound).

If the injectors are firing..the question is are they getting fuel? On the 1.8's the fuel pump does not engaged unless a flap inside the MAF opens (when cranking the engine the air coming in should open the flap which then gives juice to the fuel pump). Flappy doesn't open and fuel pump never pumps fuel. If it has been sitting that long it may be corroded and stiff.

Also, check the fuel pump relay (if you are not getting fuel).

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the MAF flap sticking so the fuel pump was never pumping fuel. You can also have someone turn it over and you can push the flap open by hand to see if you can get some sputtering. You'll hear the fuel pump turn on when you push the flap open (access from the air cleaner side opening).

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.