Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Paint in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
I am planning to repaint my 1975 1.8 in it's original Malaga Red this summer. I have the means and ability to do the body work myself, but do not have the equipment to spray the top coat of paint. I can do everything up to and including spraying the car with primer, just not the top coat of paint.

Any recommendations for a paint shop in San Diego that could guide me on what products to use for the bodywork (filler, primer, etc) and then spray the top coat for me? I am on a college budget so I am trying to do as much of the work as possible myself to keep the cost down.

Andrew
DonTraver
When I painted my 914-6 I joined a class at Kearny High School that was sponsored by I think ROP (Free). They had everything including a booth.
I bought my supplies at a Body and Paint Shop in Lemon Grove, they were across the street from a big discount food store on the main street.

This was all 12 years ago and I'm having a senior moment trying to remember the name of the stores.
jim_hoyland
Seen a couple of very nice paint jobs done in TJ. No fooling, Jim Tabs green car was done there and soeone elses. Seen Jim's car several years after he had it done and it still looks great. Dr. Evil may have a connection....
Aaron Cox
my TJ/Los Panchos job looked great for a year.

bad prep bubbles and a few other things have left me less than satisfied. weld seams not covered etc on the back of the joint, allowing rust to form.

my .02 pesos. /yggwypf (you get what you pay for)
andrewvolsen
Would anyone who has had a good paint job done in TJ have a specific shop they would recommend? Who painted that green 914? It looks pretty decent in the picture, and that's all I'm really looking for; a good driver quality paint job that will last awhile. I have a couple of friends that live in TJ, so if I could find a trustworthy shop the logistics of getting the car down there to be painted should be no problem.

I'm still interested in body shops in SD too if anyone has a recommendation.

Andrew
76-914
This is up the road from you but Temecula Valley Paint "took me by the hand" and walked me thru every step. Talk to Chuck or Leah. They are the owners/operators.
sean_v8_914
TJ has changed. getting there and back is more difficult than back when DR evil was dong the Panchos trips.
most paint jobs look good for a year. that is where the extra labor, or lack thereof starts to show...rust bubbles, scratch swell, peeling, finger prints, cheap materials, delamination, fading, cracking
eric9144
If you have the time to do what Don said, I can vouch that his 914/6 paint was outstanding.

I generally leave SD to get paint and body work done...sorry SD...My brother in law's shop in LA tends to the Seinfeld stable etc so I'd be stupid not too.
Dr Evil
Stay out of TJ. They only got worse. The job they did on my car was the worst. Getting back and forth was a PITA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.