Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I Eligible for PCA Stock Class?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Site
I am restoring a '71 that came to me with a 2.0 (with stock EFI) and a sideshift trans. Since the engine is not "as delivered from factory" (a quote from the 2004 PCA Stock Class Rules), can anyone tell me if I'm elegible to compete with this vehicle in Stock Class PCA Club Races?

I'm starting to rebuild the engine now, and am trying to decide whether I want to stay stock or go for more power. I would like to race the car in both solo and club racing events. But I'm not wanting to lighten the car through drastic measures. I want it be have that "showroom" look. That's why Stock Class appeals to me. I want to "restore" the car, not highly modify the car for racing.

Any suggestions are welcome.
ArtechnikA
PCA Club Race has its own rule book that is like nothing else. it's on the website. download it, make it your bible.

you MUST " highly modify the car for racing " (at least to the extent a cage is a nontrivial modification) EVEN IN STOCK CLASS.
brant
Yeah,

ignore the zone 8 rules...
If your looking at club racing go for those rules.

You'll be ok due to the rule allowing updating and back dating...

since there is a such a beast as a 2.0L with side shifter, you can update and essentially in their mind your car will be a 2.0L side shifting 1973-1974 car.

You can pretty easily squeeze into class J or if you change to carbs etc. they will bump you into I.

They are getting a little more particular about he updating backdating rule and truly want you to change every single thing... I don't think they will ever get you on petty things such as the wiring harness differences, but technically they could.

I personally know a lot of people that have updated early cars into class J or I, so you'll be fine.

Don't strip the interior or Do anything internal to the motor (other than euro-pistons class I maybe) Then they will knock you into GT. I think you'll be fine on the upgrading but pay attention to the other stock class rules such as the motor.

Its nearly impossible to have a competetive GT car unless you tube frame the car and cut away every bit of metal...
thus I would recommend that you not cross that line and get bumped into GT.

brant
smg914
agree.gif with Brant.

I raced PCA K, J and I class over the last 10 years. I know that the '71 914 is a little lighter than the later 914's so just make sure your car weighs 2039 lbs or more. And remember, it needs to meet this weight as you come off the track after a race without you in the car. So make sure your car meets this minimum weight with very little gas in the car.

In Stock Classes, the only required modifications (mostly safety stuff) to your car are:
Roll cage, window net, engine/coil cut off switch, safety harness.

Now if you want to be competitive. This list becomes much bigger.
brant
Steve,

I wished I would have made it back your way for a club race or two in I class.....

I ran I class for about 7 years but just finally bailed from that ship...

Don't get me started on the topic of a 914 being ACTUALLY competetive in J/I... ha.. thats a laugh.

(I wish they would bump all 914's down to only J/K and leave the 944s in I)

brant
smg914
Yeah Brant they’res no sense going down that road again. We both know the answer but the rules just don't see it our way. I would have loved to meet you and run with you on the tracks here in the Southeast. Sebring and Road Atlanta are great tracks. Maybe someday you'll find your way here and we can pit beside each other. Registration for the 12th annual 48 Hours at Sebring (PCA Club Race) opens in November. The 48 Hours (sprint and enduro races) will be held February 10,11,12 & 13 2005. It's a great event with over 300 cars entered.
brant
Not to take anything away from Sebring...
But my absolute 2 dream destinations are Road Atlanta and Laguna....

I will be at Road Atlanta someday soon.
I'm not sure about the coming event, but if not then I'll be there in 2.

perhaps we can meet
do you usually do Atlanta?
I'll be the slow uncompetetive car in GT-5
(ha.. imagine that, a slow uncompetetive car.. whats new)

brant
smg914
Yes, I do the April Club Race every year. But I've been thinking about bagging that race in 2005 for reasons that I think you can understand. A Class "I" 914-6 at Road Atlanta (or any high speed track) is not real fun unless you enjoy looking out the rear view mirror more than the windshield. But Road Atlanta is a blast to drive. The elevations changes make for an thrilling experience.
Site
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 28 2004, 05:51 PM)
Don't get me started on the topic of a 914 being ACTUALLY competetive in J/I... ha.. thats a laugh.

(I wish they would bump all 914's down to only J/K and leave the 944s in I)

After reading through some race results on the PCA website, it seems that stock 914s can be competitive in I and J classes, sometimes outperforming 911s, even. A guy named Dale Tuety seems to do well in his '73 914/4 in I class - often finishing first or second in class. Does anyone know Dale, or at least know a way I could contact him? I tried looking him up through Google with no good results.

I'd like to ask him what tips he may be willing to pass on for preparing a 914.
smg914
I never heard of Dale, he doesn't race in the SouthEast. I believe 914's could be competitive in I class if the track is short and has a lot of turns. Also it would help if no 944's would show up. Usually at Sebring and Road Atlanta which has very high speed straights, I class has up to 20 944's, a couple of 924's, a 911 or 2 and me in my 914-6.

What tracks did you find Dale's name at? I wouldn't mind talking to him about his set up and how he sees his competiton.
Site
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 29 2004, 04:28 PM)
What tracks did you find Dale's name at? I wouldn't mind talking to him about his set up and how he sees his competiton.

I found Dale listed in the results for Pueblo Motorsports Park, Sept 11-12; and Road America, Sept 4-6. In each race he finished either first or second in class, if I remember correctly.
smg914
Thanks for the information Mike. I looked up those races and I think I found the answer. At Pueblo there were only 5 cars in I class and none of them were 944's or 924's. Dale came in 2nd behind a 911. At Road America there were only 2 cars in I class and Dale came in 2nd place behind a 944.

In comparison, Road Atlanta had 22 cars in I class. 19-944's, 2-924's and a 911. Now you know why I didn't go to Road Atlanta this year. I still think the key for 914's in I class would be a perfectly set up car running on a short track with a lot of turns.
smg914
Hey Mike....I made a mistake. In PCA club racing class I a 914 must weigh a minimum of 2075 lbs. and in Class J a 914 must weigh a minimum of 2139 lbs.
Site
QUOTE(smg914 @ Sep 30 2004, 12:13 AM)
Hey Mike....I made a mistake. In PCA club racing class I a 914 must weigh a minimum of 2075 lbs. and in Class J a 914 must weigh a minimum of 2139 lbs.

Steve, in which stock class do you seem 914s as being most competitive? If I'm going to go through the trouble of installing a rollcage in my car, I would like some hope for being competitive.
seanery
Man, I don't know how you get so many cars in those classes (I & J)

Here in the midwest those classes are fairly small-similar to the #'s posted for Pueblo & Road America.
It seems the E,F & G classes are fairly large.

Bluecar is destined to get the 2.2 that I bought, so I don't get stuck in a big $ class. I'm looking forward to GT-5 (probably S).
smg914
Obviously all my experience in PCA club racing has been in stock class racing. This has always been my plan so I can keep my expenses down. In my opinion, PCA stock class racing and more than likely POC stock class racing are the least expensive forms of sports car racing. Running stock class and running a limited amount of events a year has allowed me to live my dream of racing wheel to wheel. Oh yes, buying a car that is already dialed in and set up for racing will also save you a ton of money.

Having said all that, the 914 is most competitive in "J" class. Mainly because it's usually mostly 914's running in J. I have seen the occasional early 911 but that is unusual lately. But there is one problem here too. Lately there have been very, very few cars running in J class here in the South East. Many times there is only 1 or if your lucky 2 cars running in J. On the other hand, I class usually has over 20 cars running. But as I said before, in a 914 you can not keep up with the 944's on those long straights at tracks like Sebring and Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen etc.

Some people might say, "Why don't you just buy a 944". My answer has always been, "Because I'm running the car I love". Win or loose my passion is the 914. The only other thing I can think of is how important it is that your 914 needs to be set up to the maximum that the rules allow. To have any chance to be somewhat competitive in I class you cannot compromise anywhere. You will need every last horsepower you can get out of the engine. Get the best tires, maximum the suspension set up which includes a racing alignment and corner balancing. And lastly, get all the seat time you can get so you have the confidence to run the freek'in piss out of the car. After all this, unfortunately at Sebring in I class you would probably come in 15th out of 20 cars. I know there are much better drivers out there then me, so talent alone could get you a few spots higher up the finishing order.

I know there are other opinions out there and Mike and I would love to here from you.
brant
Site,

I know Dale tuety.
He shows up to a lot of events and does pretty well but often is in a sparcely populated class....

my crowning achievement was beating him after 10 years of trying in 2002 at pueblo...

thats when I retired my car and started building the new one..

Dales car is pretty normal, with AMAZING talent behind the wheel.

he does pay alot of attention to sprung weight.
HE did not upgrade to a 5 bolt for that reason.
He did not upgrade from stock brakes for that reason
he had custom aluminum wheels made in 7 inch with the correct offset just to save wheel weight...

other than the sprung weight, there are not too many tricks on dales car.

I'll be back from vacation end of the week
pm me if you want more details.
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.