Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
The car I am working on has a set of nice heat exchangers. They are original and of course not stainless steel. They have a few dents, etc but overall are in good condition.

My question is how well does the "jet-hot" or ceramic coatings perform on these steel exchangers? I have seen lots of exhaust systems for other cars done with these products and it is amazing. Really nice finish, lowers temperatures, no real downside if done correctly.

I know the heat exchangers would be cleaned and prepped then the coatings are applied both inside the piping and on the exterior of the entire system. I think it would work well and could be a great option to stainless steel (getting hard to find these in the used world in good shape).

Please advise?
rfuerst911sc
I have steel headers on my 3.0 in my GT clone that I had ceramic coated. At the time when I lived in Orlando there was a local shop that did this. Sprayed inside and out with a silver/chrome looking ceramic material. It's been almost 3 years now and they look as good today as they did when they were done. Jet Hot is just a brand name they all buy their ceramic material from one or two manufacturers. I highly recommend the process.
brant
usually new metal holds the coating better than used... or rusty metals.

they will sand blast yours to coat them... not sure how clean they can "sand blast" the insides though...

still the coatings are great and worth it
I've had headers shipped directly to jet hot from the manufacture in the past.

brant
david63
Thanks for the replys. I agree that new metal coats better. Since I posted this I read something that said the vendor that does the coating wants to prep the metal themselves. Not sure if they sandblast or media blast but there is some concern with residue from the metal prep.

Just thinking out loud but I feel like a set of exchangers that are ceramic coated would hold up almost as good as the stainless steel and I could pick a color closer to a factory gray (especially for the way most of us drive our teeners).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.