Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrading front end questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
Hey everyone,
I need some help here on finding out what and how much the rest of this project might cost. I started buying stuff as it came along, but don't know how to proceed with upgrading the suspension on my 74..
I currently have two rear control arms, ready to bolt in w/ 5 lug adapters and elephant bushings installed. That part is easy.
Recently I just picked up a pair of 914-6 front shock towers w/rotors and 5 lug hardware. The numbers are 914 341 092 00 and 914 341 091 00. I don't think I paid very much for them either. So question is, what else do I need to make this compatable with my 74. Are my lower control arms usable, ball joints, brakes and such. I will try to upload picture.Click to view attachment
SUNAB914
Here are the rear control arms.Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
If those front struts are 72 or older, you will need to change to the earlier ball joint. Otherwise it's a bolt on affair.

You will need hubs, rotors, pads, calipers, bearings (inner, outer, seals) spindle washer, clamping nut & dust cap.

For the rear, you will need to press in studs, re-drilled -4 rotors or 914-6 rotors (you may have to mill the outside diameter of the rotor with a -6 or maybe clearance your caliper) this is with re-using your existing calipers & a new set of pads.
SUNAB914
Thanks for info. I have all you said except earlier ball joints. What calipers/brake pads (years) do I need for the front? Also, what koni's or bilstiens shocks do I use.
The rear will be good to go.
Thanks
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 30 2012, 02:12 PM) *

You will need hubs, rotors, pads, calipers, bearings (inner, outer, seals) spindle washer, clamping nut & dust cap.

To clarify: You'll need these parts from an early 911 or a 914-6. Any 911 with "M" calipers will do, so (say) a 1969 911T.

...Not sure about the washer and clamping nut, actually, but I believe the rest need to be 911 parts.

--DD
TravisNeff
Sorry, I meant all 911 parts. 69-77 911 M calipers up front (same for pads). You can use bilstein or koni strut insert for a 914, for a boge strut. You can use a 911 strut insert too (the valving is supposed to be a little different)

Ball joints are the same between 914 & 911, but the cutoff for wedge pin balljoints (to match your struts) are 73 & newer and bolt type is 71 back to 69). Tie rod ends are the same between 911, 914 & 930 in the way the mount to the strut arm
SUNAB914
Ball joints are the same between 914 & 911, but the cutoff for wedge pin balljoints (to match your struts) are 73 & newer and bolt type is 71 back to 69).
, Sorry, Don't understand what you mean by this?
SLITS
There are two styles of ball joints ...

1.) Early cars have a half moon shape in the ball joint stem for a thu bolt ... struts will have a split on the bottom ... pinch lock

2.) Later cars have a wedge shape cut in the ball joint stem for a "double taper pin" that is secured by a nut. Strut will be solid on the bottom.

Ball joints must match the type of strut.

Your pic doesn't show the bottom side of the strut, opposite the spindle so it's hard to tell what you have, but it should be the pinch bolt type.

That's it ...................
Eric_Shea
His photo shows the pinch bolts still in the bottom of the struts. Time to check the bifocal prescription.

You should:

1. Get the paint soda blasted off the struts and especially the spindles.
2. Get 911 hubs to go over those spindles.
3. Get 911 rotors to bolt on the hubs.
4. Get new bearings and seals for those hubs.
5. Get a new set of "early style" balljoints. You have late style on your car.
6. Get new strut inserts.
7. Repaint those struts.
8. Get rubber bump stops that haven't been cut down so much.
9. Get M-Calipers or Brembos for the vented rotors.
10. Get short steel Hardlines and banjo fittings for the front calipers.
11. Get 911 soft lines for the front.
12. Bolt everything on.
SLITS
but .... but ... they're missing the nutz.

And it's tri-focals

And the bump stops are wasted!!!!
Eric_Shea
Read #8
TravisNeff
popcorn[1].gif
SUNAB914
Eric thanks,No paint on spindles, plastic cover. Found the calipers, already. 5-8 is what i need to have everything complete.
12 will come sometime after summer maybe.
Thanks,
I will keep you updated as I go.
SUNAB914
Update: Complete brake system on the way.
Next question for experts: What size 5 lug rims will I need to fit under stock fenders?
15x6?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Apr 3 2012, 07:15 AM) *

Update: Complete brake system on the way.
Next question for experts: What size 5 lug rims will I need to fit under stock fenders?
15x6?

15x6 and 16x6 with no wider than a 205 tire and the right offset will work fine.

7's/205's also fit under the front fenders. Rear will require tugging/rolling for a 7" rim.

Offset/ET 23.3 IIRC for 15x6 rims
SUNAB914
Thanks Aaron!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.