Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the hell is this?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob L.
I am currently restoring the D-jet system to my 1.7 and when I got the old intake off I expected to see the engine code on the little flat area underneath, But no.
Click to view attachment

So I figured I'll look in front of the oel fill tube and I found this
Click to view attachment

The intake bolt pattern (4) suggests 1.7 heads but the engine code is in the 2.0 location.
Click to view attachment

What's the deal here?

Thanks
SirAndy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

AW = Type 2

AW 1973/74 1800cc - dual carb.
AW 1975 1800cc - fuel-injected

confused24.gif
underthetire
Whats with the broken wire and what was it to?
Bob L.
stromberg.gif
LotusJoe
WOW Google / Wikipedia says you got a bus engine piratenanner.gif
jcambo7
That sucks... sad.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 30 2012, 03:50 PM) *

Good question. I have no idea what it's for.

Anybody...
Bob L.
Should I still try to put the D-jet on? confused24.gif
underthetire
1.8 Bus. D jet will work, had one on my GE bus 2.0 that someone stuck in my car.
euro911
From TUNACAN site

1.8 series (1795cc or 109.5 cu.inches)

Case Prefix ..... Original Application ..... Compression Ratio ........................ Horsepower / Torque
........ AW ................ 1973-75 VW Transporter .................... 7.3:1 ................................ 65hp@4200rpm 92.4 lb-ft@3000rpm

Notes/Comments
'74-'75 models with auto. trans. used L-Jetronic f.i., otherwise dual carbs.

Underpowered for a 914. Underpowered for a bus too (as far as I'm concerned)
SLITS
Wow, you guys are buncha ball busters ..... poke.gif
Dave_Darling
It would be interesting to see where the dipstick and oil filler are in there. The bus should have a funnel that bolts onto the front-left corner of the engine down almost at the bottom. (That's 914 orientation; it would be right-rear in a Bus.)

The engine did start out as a Bus motor. But it's not exactly difficult to put higher-compression pistons on, or to swap in a 2.0 set, or build just about any Type IV motor on that case....

--DD
Bob L.
Here's the north end of the thing, if that helps figure anything out.

Click to view attachment
euro911
The dip stick is in the correct place.

Until one tears into the innards, it's kind of hard to say what a PO may have done inside confused24.gif
wingnut86
I still have the single carb and runners off the bus engine out of my original 1970 (ummm, not original motor mad.gif )

There was a box of 1.7 brains/cabling/FIs that came with as well, obviously, they couldn't get them to work with the bus motor they sold me biggrin.gif

Oh, 3 of the injectors were bad dry.gif
type47
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 30 2012, 12:50 PM) *

I believe that buses, maybe other Type IV applications, had a flywheel sensor that mechanics could hook up to electronic troubleshooting/maintainence machines. I think that is the sensor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.